BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
SnakeDoc?
Gold Member
Rep
Drives:

Snoopers and such like

Easy all,
You might've seen my 135's first run-in with a speed camera on the main page, so I'm thinking of purchasing a snooper sort-of thing. No real knowledge in this matter. Any recommendations? Obviously Sat Nav not needed as got in the car, so just the speed camera detection.

Doing some research now online, but unsure what are reputable brands etc. And I am assuming it's all legal as it's advertised so widely, but were they banned a few years ago?

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

For a cheap solution I use photo blocker, one can costs about £20. Simply spray your plates, leave to dry and spray again. This only works in the dark where it reflects the camera flash. I've been flashed a couple of times and so far no come back.

I've heard a lot of good things from "Road Angel" devices http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/?ref=googleads
      05-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

here you go...

http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-angel-plus.htm

May get one myself.
      05-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
SnakeDoc?
Gold Member
Rep
Drives:

Cheers essco. Yikes it's all a bit pricey. I thought this one was quite hot-looking, but no idea about quality etc. I'll keep asking around and let you know if I get one.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Not heard of this one. I know on other car forums the Road Angel has been praised. I would go for one that's had good reviews and large customer base.
      05-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Get the smallest Road Angel - I have had Road Angel's for 6 years and they have been brilliant.

Unfortunately sold my last one with my car and replaced with the Garmin 770 sat nav which was a mistake.

The sat nav systems do not have as accurate databases and they are not directional.

I will be getting another RA in due course!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
neilrw
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoc? View Post
Cheers essco. Yikes it's all a bit pricey. I thought this one was quite hot-looking, but no idea about quality etc. I'll keep asking around and let you know if I get one.

If you just want basic alerts when you're approaching speed cameras/blackspots then the road angel is great. I've just upgraded from the road angel compact to the road angel navigator 9000 to combine camera detection with GPS navigation... so I've a road angel going spare if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I have been put off the RA Navigator.

I purchased the orginal RA Navigator and sold it as the Nav s/ware was terrible... actually, it was the worst device that I have ever bought and only kept it for 5 days!

I do hope that the 9000 has better / improved software as I do think RA have the best / most complete database.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0