BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Would you buy a demo car while it's still being demo'd?

Today I test drove a 135i demo. I'm completely amazed at what this car is capable of, and didn't hold back as I ran it through its paces.

So I'm chatting away with my sales guy, seated beside me, and he informs me that the very car I'm driving was sold on the night of the launch, paid for in full (no discount at all!), and that the buyer is quite happy to wait until the demo period is over before he takes it off their hands (their next demo won't arrive for a couple of months).

Now I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pay full retail for a demo car before it becomes available for sale. After all, you wouldn't know how many kms would be on it, or how many people have driven it until it's gone from demo to floor stock. I'd expect a substantial discount for this type of agreement. What are your thoughts?
      05-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

The SA seems to be FULL OF SHIT...hahahaaa
No way that anyone with half a brain would of agreed to those terms...
Even if they where their own terms...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Not sure what reason he has to lie about it... Given that delivery times are 5-6 months now, and there are buggerall cars available now, it's quite possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

True...But still find it hard to believe..
Sorry..I dont trust much that comes out of their mouths unless I research it myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

im with zuzu on this...you'd have to have rocks in your head to buy a demo without a significant discount...
      05-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The same, the car that I test drove today, the salesman told me it had already been sold and the owner lend them the car so they could test drive it, Well you have to be kind of stupid to let everyone else use your car for 3 months (specially because of the way it is going to be use), unless you give me 30 or 40% discount on the car, no way, Do not believe salesman, they do not what they are talking about (except for some honourable exceptions)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Not only a discount, buy one would expect to take delivery of the car straight away.

I used to sell cars for a short time a many years ago after finishing uni, and I never came across a demo being demo'ed after it was sold. The car was parked with a sold sticker on it until the owner came to pick it up.

As for the trashing of brand new unregistered stock, I'm afraid I can confirm all our fears.....

If my car has more than a few kms on the clock when I pick it up I'd be concerned.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
i know SAs dont have the best reputation... but as Cozza said, i dont see the advantage of lying about ownership of a demo car?

There are quite a few rich airheads out there, so who knows?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Perhaps the salesman was talking out of his a** in relation to how much was paid. There's probably a good possibility that the demo was/has been purchased but i'd be surprised that they would pay full price.
      05-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Draft11
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Smile

Hi all. I'm a fresh registered user of this forum and was hoping a response to this thread wouldn't be my first post, but I might be able to clarify a few things..

Cozza, I met you at the launch night down at Bib South Yarra, so g'day hope your well mate! Now I believe you were probably driving a sapphire black coupe? correct me if I am wrong.

The individual that has bought this car (If its the black) is myself (From Bib South Yarra). Yes, it will be an ex demo, and yes it will have km's on it, but no, they will not be driving this for 3 months. My delivery date is end of June at the latest and, subject to selling my current car earlier, I am hoping mid June. This is also subject to my confidence in accepting the car in a state that is satisfactory.

If I do not like the condition in which it is presented then I have the option of cancelling the contract with a full deposit refund. There is also an agreement that the car does not run over a certain amount of km's. There was also an agreement that test drives would always be accompanied by a SR and that 'thrashing' would not be allowed. Hmmm. Might have to source further re assurance from Bib on my previous discussions. Trust me, I was VERY mindful of this. Originally the car I was looking at was not going to be a demo, but this one was sold before I had made a firm decision on options colour etc..

Without rattling on too much further, I'm not loaded (I've had to push the limits to obtain this brilliant piece of engineering), I don't believe I'm stupid for making the decision I did. I really had to make this decision based on how long it would take to order a new one in, depreciation factor on my current car, and of course the increased luxury car tax. At the end of the day, if I am not happy with the demo car, I can cancel. This is obviously something I hope I don't have to consider.

Words cannot describe the immense respect I have for the one series as a complete package and I hope to share the 'Dynamic Spirit' with you all from 1300RPM onwards!

Cheers,

Dallas

05-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
So there is an explanation for everything!

Welcome to the boards draft11

Good to know you set the dealer straight with your conditions, but from cozza's post, seems like they may not be adhering to it exactly... ie the thrashing... or at least spirited driving...

But, i see where you're coming from, the wait is a total bitch!
tough choice... good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Draft11
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Smile

Thanks Jksgoh..

It would be fantastic if Cozza confirmed he took the test drive from Bib Camberwell..

I'll definitely be reiterating this agreement on Monday.
      05-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Understand your keenness for the car, and the way you're avoiding the wait.

You've obviously thought about the decision, and have done your best to limit harm to your car. BUT.............

To expect a demo to be "looked after", either by sales guys or the customers they are servicing, is a bit "trusting". Neither have an interest whatsoever in protecting your interests. SA's job is to get the next order in. Customers job is to push the car as much as allowed. If it means Cozza is allowed to push the boundaries of the drive in order to clinch the deal, they will.

The SA will be your best mate to get the deal done. And genuinely so. The problem is, they will also be the next customer's best mate, and so on. Once you've bought the car, you become a bit like the ex-girlfriend. Calls will become less frequent, no more dates, eventually your name is deleted from the address book.

Do yourself a favour and get possession of the car ASAP. Otherwise, offer a few of grand (if you have it) to get it off the road ASAP. Final option is bit the bullet and wait for your own to arrive. The increase LCT will "only" add about 6 grand. That means you could offer 4 grand to get it off the road, and still be in front (again, understand if the extra dough pushes you over the limit).

Not meaning to criticise, just want to help you look after your interests. Agree you should confront them about it, with our backing!
      05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Wouldn't a check of the engine diagnostics from the on-board computer indicate the max revs the engine has been subjected to?....or is that another BMW urban legend?

Many years ago when I complained about my E46 323i misfiring, they were able to download engine management info in the workshop which indicated which cylinders had misfired and when they misfired. If that level of info was available back then surely other detailed info would be available such as max revs etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Dallas, I am being genuine when I say this. Don't go through with this! A car like this WILL get thrashed. You don't need to redline in every gear to thrash a car. In fact, that isn't that bad for the car in my book. What is really bad is to rev her up when the engine oil is not fully warmed up. Now this can only happen after about 10 mins of driving. How many customer/SR is going to warm up the engine on a test drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Sorry Dallas, but I have to agree with Wayne.
Being an ex automotive engineeer from my junior years, that is the biggest problem.Engine warm up.
I lobbed up for a test drive of the 1er first up..Car was stone cold and was given the key with no warm up..
SA dont care...as long as they close the sale.
I would reconsider the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
The increase LCT will "only" add about 6 grand
I think it's less than that. Its only 8% of sales price -57k isn't it so if you buy the car for $87k say, you pay an extra 8% of 30k which is $2400.

Thats how I understand it anyway?

2400 not too big a price to pay for a car with zero kms on it and a history you know of. I know when I test drove the 135 this week the dealer was not too concerned for the cars well being. I know the wait is a killer. I actually offered to buy the demo yesterday (but I was the first one to drive it) but they said they would be stuck without a demo and thus sell less cars so was forced to wait til September.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #18
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Dallas,

I had the pleasure of driving your car yesterday, it's a beauty. I can tell you already, some rules of your agreement has been broken, PM me for further information/clarification. I don't want to post specifics re:names etc, but I'll tell you this, it was thrashed cold by a SA.....

It's a lovely drive, and an incredible machine

It's a saphire black, 6MT, sunroof with silver graphite lining I believe.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #19
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
On my deal the LCT will add about $1300. The LCT applies to the amount over $57 K and is applied before stamp duty and registration costs.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #20
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

No way id buy a demo car that has a history like that.. I respected the car I drove yesterday. Warmed it up before the drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #21
Draft11
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I appreciate the feedback guys I really do. There is no doubt I will be giving the dealership a call on Monday to express my concern and thoughts of cancelling the agreement unless we can get it off the road.
      05-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Hey Dallas, nice to meet you last week, and welcome to 1Addicts! Great to have you on board.

Yes, it was your saphire black I demo'd at Bib Stillwell's in Prahran, and you'll be happy to hear that my SA and I did allow for warm up time. My SA got in the driver's seat and started the car, as he was going to drive us to Yarra Blvd. We sat in the car talking for a while and I played around with the ipod connection which I couldn't get to work after a few frustrating minutes. Then I got out to watch the adaptive headlights in action while the SA turned the steering wheel - that probably gave it a 3-5 minute warm up.

Forgot to mention, I saw a notice posted on the car that read something along the lines of:

"This car is sold. No unaccompanied test drives. Car to be washed and detailed daily."

Good to know they're looking after it for you