BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Unhappy SES light on with 2,000 miles on the car

Service Engine Soon is on. Not blinking. Breaks my heart. All I'm thinking is it may be the fuel pump, but it may be any of a million things. I'm taking the car in next Tuesday. Otherwise car runs fine. Only thing I did yesterday out of the ordinary was get an ipod charger and cable to use the aux ipod jack. It was also a hot day and I had the car idling a couple of times for a while soI would have A/C. Dreading that they will update my software to the 29.2 version. I broke in the car relatively well and i did the oil change at 1400miles. Filled up with Chevron two days prior to the light coming on.

(p.s. the fuel cap is on tight)

any other suggestions before I take it in?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Take it to any Pepboys to have the code read. But tell them NOT TO CLEAR IT because they will.

Good luck, and please keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
Take it to any Pepboys to have the code read. But tell them NOT TO CLEAR IT because they will.
There's no reason to do this, since warranty will cover whatever's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
painter
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
Service Engine Soon is on. Not blinking. Breaks my heart. All I'm thinking is it may be the fuel pump, but it may be any of a million things. I'm taking the car in next Tuesday. Otherwise car runs fine. Only thing I did yesterday out of the ordinary was get an ipod charger and cable to use the aux ipod jack. It was also a hot day and I had the car idling a couple of times for a while soI would have A/C. Dreading that they will update my software to the 29.2 version. I broke in the car relatively well and i did the oil change at 1400miles. Filled up with Chevron two days prior to the light coming on.

(p.s. the fuel cap is on tight)

I had the same thing happen last week with 1300 miles...actually right after I filled up with Chevron. Dealer found that the valve monitoring emissions had failed - they replaced it (only took 1 hour) and all is well.

Hope it's that easy for you!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

what the heck is a valve monitoring emissions? i've never heard something called that on a bimmer...the only thing i can think of is a tank venting valve or a dmtl pump...

what you think mad dragon?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
painter
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertech View Post
what the heck is a valve monitoring emissions? i've never heard something called that on a bimmer...the only thing i can think of is a tank venting valve or a dmtl pump...

what you think mad dragon?
You are correct, o wise one....Pardon me for being so imprecise.

From the service ticket....
"Fuel Tank Diagnosic Module (DMTL PUMP) replaced"

Hey, I'm an artist...not a mechanic
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
You are correct, o wise one....Pardon me for being so imprecise.

Hey, I'm an artist...not a mechanic
sorry didn't mean to come off as an ass...just thought maybe your service dept was pulling a fast one. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
painter
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertech View Post
sorry didn't mean to come off as an ass...just thought maybe your service dept was pulling a fast one. :iono:

No hard feelings - precision on my part would have been more helpful - and that was the point, after all.:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

painter, did they update your software when you braught it in for the SES?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
painter
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
painter, did they update your software when you braught it in for the SES?

The only other notation on the service ticket is "Cleared fault memories". I'm not sure whether this answers your question.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm taking the car in next Tuesday.

Mad Dragon posted-

There's no reason to do this, since warranty will cover whatever's wrong.

I suggested this because the way he phrased it, it would be @8 days before the code was revealed by the BMW service visit. Not because it would or would not be covered by the warranty.

A quick visit to any Pepboys and then maybe a post here would have his question answered in far less than a week.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

FWIW, my Z4's light came on while I was on vacation in Canada. As the car was running perfectly, it stayed on for nearly 2,000 miles before I got home to my dealer. Turned out to be a defective gas cap.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so the light turned off today after 3 days of being on. i am perplexed as to what to do. i know the code is still stored. i want to get the car fixed but i don't want the latest progman. if i get some time i may go to pep-boys and at least figure out what i'm dealing with. i've got my appointment for tuesday morning with the dealer, but now, if anything I'm thinking of moving it to the following Saturday.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so dealer told me they found a fault, but the fault was not currently present and bmw instructed them to just clear the fault and not do anything.

i asked what the fault was, and the SA couldn't make out the writing of whoever checked it, but apparently she made out the words "tank" and "venting."

advice?

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
so dealer told me they found a fault, but the fault was not currently present and bmw instructed them to just clear the fault and not do anything.

i asked what the fault was, and the SA couldn't make out the writing of whoever checked it, but apparently she made out the words "tank" and "venting."

advice?
yeah I would find out what the rest of the words were! lol...It may well be nothing..but you, as the owner, surely have a right to KNOW! Besides, I'm not a mechanic, but if the gas tank is involved...I wanna know what it's up to back there! :iono:

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
painter
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

advice?
Sounds like what they found in mine (see previous post)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #17
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yea i've had both of those thoughts, but how do i argue against "we talked to bmw, they instructed us to just clear it, it was a one time glitch."

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

See if the SA can locate the mechanic and find out what he wrote down. The mechanics work # should be on the work sheet. I would also be very curious. You need to know all the details, its your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

just picked up my car. so there were 2 faults:
1) tank venting system x 4
2) low fuel pressure x 1

they said the tested my venting system and they tested my low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps, everything checks out.

i tried to argue the fuel pressure issue but what it came down to is there is no SIB for my production month regarding the fuel pump and their bmw computer or whatever (gt1 system?) wouldn't authorize any repairs.

it didn't help that the check engine light turned off by itself. with my previous cars, they wouldn't do any repairs if there was no evidence of malfunction. but bmw has taken it a step further, they won't do repairs even when there is evidence of a malfunction.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
Slay0r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 E92 ///M,13 535i

hrmm, i guess i will b calling the dealership, mine SES came on 100 miles (same day of purchase) (not the gas cap)

not too happy right now, but the car drive great, but still an unsettled feeling in my stomach
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #21
Slay0r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 E92 ///M,13 535i

mistermojorizin- just like your, mine has just turned off tonite, for no apparent reason, im think i should still get it checked out just to be safe
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^yep might as well. hopefully your dealer will actually fix the components that left faults.

it seems like a bit of a catch 22, you gotta wait a bit of time to get a loaner, but the ses light turns off if you do and the dealership says, "well, the fault's not present now."

Appreciate 0