BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
theredwrx
Rep
Drives: 2002 Subaru WRX

BMW Assist - Vehicle Recovery

I'm looking to get BMW Assist purely as a vehicle recovery tool just in case the car gets stolen. Is it worth it for just this reason alone? Or should I look into Lo Jack or the DEI / Viper GPS Tracking System? I don't care about any of the other benefits.

(I was going to purchase the BMW Alarm System as well....but would get a Viper Alarm if I went with their GPS Tracking.)

What is a "common" insurance break that I've heard companies give people with Assist?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I think one of the drawbacks with Assist's recovery is that it only works if the car is on.

If you're looking at a feature strictly for vehicle recovery, I would probably look to LoJack or DEI before BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
theredwrx
Rep
Drives: 2002 Subaru WRX

That's what I was afraid of...having to have the car on for it to work. I'll have to look into DEI. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
BMW Assist will also call for emergency help in case of an accident. That alone makes it a good thing.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
I think one of the drawbacks with Assist's recovery is that it only works if the car is on.
Are you sure about that ?

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I believe Assist's recovery works as long as there is a battery in the car, similar to Lojack.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

I got BMW Assist for the bluetooth hands-free, not for the tracking / emergency service tools to be honest. Thats said, it's a handy thing to have if you are in an accident.

If you need vehicle tracking and no hands-free (sure you dont want hands-free calling?, it is very cool), I would go Lojack or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I believe Assist's recovery works as long as there is a battery in the car, similar to Lojack.
One advantage of lojack is most police helicopters and cruisers have recievers in them and don't rely on gps (not sure how bmw assist works). So if the car was in a garage, for example, it would still work.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
HemisphereDancer
Private
Rep
Drives:

I am pretty sure the car does not have to be on since they can unlock your car if your keys are in it by calling the 1800 BMW Assist number, from what my CA said. Cannot confirm that though.

Ordered: 4/23/08 / Received: 6/21/08
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

No, I'm not sure about it needing to be on. So caveat emptor on my advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

yeah according to 2 diff SAs at my dealer, the car does NOT have to be on for BMW Assist to work. It involves a microchip or something imbedded in the car's frame (perhaps near the battery but not IN it...bc they stressed that the battery couldn't just be removed to negate the theft aspect). Of course we all have to take what our SAs say with a grain of salt...but I'm pretty sure they are right about this one. Assist seems like a really smart buy (esp if you are adding the Premium pkg) bc of the Bluetooth feature and the the insurance advantage (drop)...IMO of course

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
2K2 DNA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

From the BMWAssist brochure downloaded from BMWUSA.com;

"In order to receive BMW Assist™ services, a subscriber agreement must be completed at your local BMW center and transferred to the BMW Assist Response Center. GPS and
underlying wireless services must be available and functioning; vehicle ignition must be turned on (except for Remote Door Unlock and Stolen Vehicle Recovery), battery charged
and connected and vehicle’s electrical system operational; services may be limited to certain geographic areas.
"

So at $750 (and free during the Ultimate Service warranty), BMW Assist adds bluetooth, automatic collision notification, emergency request, enhanced roadside assistance, remote door unlock and more. A reasonably priced option in my opinion (even if you don't use all of the features).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

So, I really don't need Lojack if I have the Premium Package?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Please raise your hands if your car is stolen, it's in the hands of the miscreants for a period of time, and you then really want it back.

No, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

so...you guys are worried about your car being stolen.
the only way to steal a BMW is to tow it or put it on a flat-bed trailer. both i think are unlikely.
you cannot start the car without the key....the electronics forbid it.

more realistic is the wheels/tired being stolen. get yourself a $53 set of wheel locks. i just had mine installed (free at dealer). the guy said a 750i owner just had all 4 wheels/tires stolen....$7600 to replace. he didn't have wheel locks.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #16
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Don't spend any money preventing your car from being stolen. Do you really want to get your bimmer back after it has been rat-bagged by criminals? If they steal it, you want the thing torched. Just buy insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
DM128i
Rep
Drives:

I believe BMW assist only works if you are in an area that gets cell service (obviously most of the US), but in remote areas you are SOL. The GPS will only locate if you can see the GPS satellites, so in a parking garage your car would not be located and in what is called "urban canons" areas with tall building, you may not receive enough satellites to get an accurate fix.

I do not know who BMW uses for cell service in the US, I think it is Sprint. If true, then Sprint can get a fix on the car through triangulation. It is not as accurate as GPS, but it is better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
gadget12345
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgie2 View Post
So, I really don't need Lojack if I have the Premium Package?
I'm a total electronics freak and can even tell you the freqs that LoJack works on and have checked mine out with scanners so:-

BMW assist is different, very different than either an alarm or a LoJack and my 1 is getting all three of them. I already have the Assist , the LoJack + EWS (Early Warning System) and if I can get the dealer to figure out how to install the OEM alarm .......

My reasoning (and YMMV) :-

BMW Assist – Shock and air bag sensor + GPS + cell phone network = help if the car gets stuffed, I’m unconscious etc. NOT a theft deterrent or really a ‘its been stolen now find it for me’ system because as a couple of folks here have mentioned the shark fin antenna needs a clear line of sight to the sky for the GPS to work and think about how a professional will steal your car (It’s not hot wireable). IE: pull it up into a truck/ shipping container etc. Two other points – BMW will do nothing until they have a copy of the police report, which in my area could take a few days and the big point for this topic is that none of this will work if the battery in the trunk is disconnected. Which I felt most folks whom are interested in taking my baby would know.

Alarm – It makes the clown nose flash – which deters the casual ‘let’s smash the glass and steal the CD’s / IPOD’ folks. I have many experiences of neighbors having their cars broken into for the contents with no intent to steal the vehicle and if your breaking the glass on my car outside my house you better be prepared for one PO’d owner experience.

LoJack + EWS – Yes you want the early warning system – The only solution that’s really a ‘locate the car’ IMHO – The early warning system is a cell phone call when a motion/ tilt sensor gets activated without a secondary remote in the car (I have it on my car keys). This calls out to LoJack’s computer system which calls my home, work and cell phone and emails me and the wife (Since we both have blackberries). This does not notify the police but you better believe I will be running to the parking deck to check if my 1er is still there. If not I would then call the police (minutes after the car was lifted) to get the main LoJack activated which uses a radiating signal from the car to trigger units in the local police cars and helicopter (I kid you not – I’ve scanned some great car chases were the tracking was done from above my city). Note: The LoJack has a separate battery from the main car’s so even disconnecting the one in trunk will do you no good.

So to summarize (and again only my opinion based on research, electronics freaking and some shady stuff in the past)

BMW Assist – Call the ambulance ; I’ve been involved in a crash.
Alarm – Don’t break into me ; Do the car next door.
LoJack + EWS – Help me ! ; I’ve just been stolen and here I am.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM128i View Post
I do not know who BMW uses for cell service in the US, I think it is Sprint. If true, then Sprint can get a fix on the car through triangulation. It is not as accurate as GPS, but it is better than nothing.
I really hope that's not the case. I've had the misfortune of dealing with Sprint in the past, and I wouldn't trust them to succesfully tie two empty soup cans together with a string for a child's toy, let alone locate a stolen car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #20
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

ok. I got the premium package and i-drive for my 09 1er. why is my bmw assist not working? it says i have to activate it or is it that i actually dont have this package?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemisphereDancer View Post
I am pretty sure the car does not have to be on since they can unlock your car if your keys are in it by calling the 1800 BMW Assist number, from what my CA said. Cannot confirm that though.
I can. I locked my keys in the trunk once. Its a really funny process. One that involves holding the trunk release for 3 minutes.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #22
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
ok. I got the premium package and i-drive for my 09 1er. why is my bmw assist not working? it says i have to activate it or is it that i actually dont have this package?
Your dealer will have to activate it when you are Stateside.

I assume you took military delivery over there. If that is the case, they cannot activate it over there.
Appreciate 0