BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
theredwrx
Rep
Drives: 2002 Subaru WRX

Adding sub to premium sound

Hey all-

Has anybody added an amp for a sub to the premium sound? I realize the HU is connected to the BMW amp via MOST so I assume most tap into the sub outs after that amp. If that's the case, do most people use a JL CleanSweep (or something similar) to cut the EQ out?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
alpinedb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I plan on changing my entire audio system with 3 way focals in the front and a jl 10W7 from my previous vehicle. You need to tap into the signal before the amp to bypass it. CleanSweep is not a good piece because it flattens the eq but there is no user adjustability. Some good pieces for signal processing are the RF ThreeSixtyTwo and alpine pxe-h650.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboettn View Post
Hey all-

Has anybody added an amp for a sub to the premium sound? I realize the HU is connected to the BMW amp via MOST so I assume most tap into the sub outs after that amp. If that's the case, do most people use a JL CleanSweep (or something similar) to cut the EQ out?
Please leave the subs in a crown vic in Compton! The last thing we need is a bunch of people with annoying subs, blearing crappy music, making the one series owners look like classless turds.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
theredwrx
Rep

Thanks for the info -

alpinedb - I'm getting the premium sound and since it's digital (fiber optic) between the head unit and amp, it's not possible to tap in before. That's my understanding....correct me if I'm wrong.

rcracer_tx - I completely understand your concern. I hate the subs you can hear miles down the road - and when you get up close, all you hear is the trunk rattling. However, I'm looking to enhance the bass where the stock subs lack. Probably 50hz and below. (I'm also trying to figure out a way to install an in-line crossover to send the 50+hz to the stock subs and send only the <50hz to my new sub.) I am NOT looking for the bass to be heard OUTSIDE the car. I have a sub in my current car and though it hits hard inside, you can not hear a peep outside the car. That's what I'm looking for. I consider myself more of an audiophile than anything else - probably why I've invested way too much $$$$ in my home theater / 2-channel setup. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

eboettn, please keep this thread up to date w/ your findings. i'm very interested in what you find out. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Thanks for the info -

alpinedb - I'm getting the premium sound and since it's digital (fiber optic) between the head unit and amp, it's not possible to tap in before. That's my understanding....correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right.

MOST was supposed to be the next great thing in car audio, but I haven't seen any aftermarket products.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
theredwrx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
eboettn, please keep this thread up to date w/ your findings. i'm very interested in what you find out. thanks!
Will do buddy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
alpinedb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The premium audio system is a very weak system. There is not enough midbass and the subs sound like they're coughing out bass. The subs have no low end extension as well. After listening to it for a day I knew I had to change it. I am going with the alpine imprint piece alpine pxe-h650, steg amp, focal utopia berylium, and jl w7. I will let you guys know how everything goes with installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
theredwrx
Rep

alpinedb- those are some good products you're putting it. I'm a big fan of focal and jl products.

What do you think is the problem? For me, I'm requiring myself to keep the BMW headunit (I want the stock look). I would LIKE to keep the speakers and DSP amp that comes with the pro system (mainly because i'm cheap and don't want to buy new speakers / amp - because if I do, I'll go big and spend way too much $$$ buying focal products...haha). What do you suggest I do to fix the weak midbass section? I'm assuming that the bass "issue" you are complaining of will be fixed when I add my after market sub / amp.

Let us know how the installation goes. Post pics when you are done!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I agree with the bass problem - just no good low extension and it sounds like it's straining to hit the midbass notes. I'll also be keeping an eye out for upgrades that don't ruin the factory look. At least the trunk is large enough so that a small box will leave ample room for other stuff.

I had focal polykevlars running off a JL audio amp on my last car with an image dynamics sub in a custom enclosure. The Focals had some incredible warm-sounding midrange that I miss dearly.
      05-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #11
theredwrx
Rep

How much better will it sound if I replaced the two under-seat subs with two SWS-8 subs run by a JL amp? I currently have the JL Slash 250/1 ...would that be enough power to run both subs?

Am I better off sticking with an after market sub? My JL 250/1 pushes an Infiniti Kappa Perfecta 10" sub. I was planning on moving this setup to the new 135i.

Or should I do both? SWS-8's AND my 10"? With some sort of crossover to send lower bass frequencies (like I said...maybe below 50hz?) to the 10 in the truck?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
alpinedb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
I agree with the bass problem - just no good low extension and it sounds like it's straining to hit the midbass notes. I'll also be keeping an eye out for upgrades that don't ruin the factory look. At least the trunk is large enough so that a small box will leave ample room for other stuff.

I had focal polykevlars running off a JL audio amp on my last car with an image dynamics sub in a custom enclosure. The Focals had some incredible warm-sounding midrange that I miss dearly.
Meee tooooo! I miss my old system
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
alpinedb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
alpinedb- those are some good products you're putting it. I'm a big fan of focal and jl products.

What do you think is the problem? For me, I'm requiring myself to keep the BMW headunit (I want the stock look). I would LIKE to keep the speakers and DSP amp that comes with the pro system (mainly because i'm cheap and don't want to buy new speakers / amp - because if I do, I'll go big and spend way too much $$$ buying focal products...haha). What do you suggest I do to fix the weak midbass section? I'm assuming that the bass "issue" you are complaining of will be fixed when I add my after market sub / amp.

Let us know how the installation goes. Post pics when you are done!
You could get small focal or jl subs... 6" or 8" and tune them to play higher bass frequencies.... 75-80 hz. They will still catch low too... I'd go with a 500/1 and get a new 13TW5 hehehe.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Hey all-

The car already comes equipped with Two subs, right under each seat!

Are you talking about REPLACING those subs to add more definition to the lows? Or just adding slightly more wattage?

Replacing the current subs with aftermarket , high-quality efficient subs without changing anything else would be the first step. You'll gain clarity, deeper lows and slightly louder bass *if* those aftermarkets have higher efficiencies. THEN... if it is not loud enough, go ahead and amplify!

Remember, it will not take much to change the sound of the low-end, simply because those subs are located within the car (not trunk) and are centrally located. Big diff then when modding trunk subs.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
theredwrx
Rep

Now what I really wish is that those 13TW5 fit under the seats....now that would be the deal! Anyone know how to modify the 135 set up to accommodate those?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

^^^YAH right.

Why not just add a single amplified sub if you want to add only a little. Do you really want to add all the weight of a REAL quality MDF braced box in the trunk with a HD massive sub with a monster magnet? The box, sub or subs, amp, etc will weigh 100-150# Thats alot of added weight to a car that is already on the heavy side. I have had MANY complex car systems over the last 25 years, and I love great bass, separate component speakers, xovers, etc. But the weight is too much to me. MAYBE??? I might add a small 10" sub with a very efficent design with a small box that doesn't weigh much. I just hate the idea of added weight. But this is just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
sredish
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'd love to have a simple system using a nice simple sub (10w7 or something) and leave it at that... but I think it's an all or nothing setup. You have to go all in, replacing the HU feeding back to the amps to bypass the optical signal or leave it alone....

very anxious to see how it turns out. i'm very much an audiophile and have been waiting on the aftmkt to hit so I know whether to go with the premium or not. if the premium was good enough, i'd leave alone but if i need to start replacing then I'm going all in and not upgrading from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Please leave the subs in a crown vic in Compton! The last thing we need is a bunch of people with annoying subs, blearing crappy music, making the one series owners look like classless turds.
I agree, lets keep the 1 series classy.:drinking:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
mexglx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post

The only classless turd is you sir. If you like music in your car and want more bass, the solution is often a sub-woofer. Most of us have subs in our home theater systems. So whether I am from Compton or not, my music tastes are my own. The post was a discussion on sub-woofers and not your preconcieved notions on who uses sub-woofers.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 just because we have a weapon of mass destruction doesn't mean we use it in residential areas with the windows down
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #21
sredish
Private
Rep
Drives:

any updates on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #22
alpinedb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'm still saving up my money for the system...
Appreciate 0