BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Has anyone added an aftermarket amp to the standard stereo

I know the Upgraded stereo uses an optical interface to the dsp amp, but it seems the standard stereo uses line level, which should be pretty easy to tap.

Just wondering if anyone has tried just adding an amp to give the subs some extra kick? or even the standard speakers?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

It would be great if a set of real RCA plugs were in the stock set-up but I doubt it. Usually stock systems need an adapter/sound processor to hook the stock system and the new amps up to.
Like JL Audios Cleansweep factory sound processor for $299. Then you can add multiple amps for the mains and subs. I don't think the shallow subs under the seats could handle much more power than what comes from the factory. I am sure the 2-8" underseat subs have small magnet/voicecoils. If you want real bass you need a heavy box/MDF with some real woofers. As for the factory 4" mid/woofers and tweeters you could probably get a bigger/clean amp for them to add a few more dB's. You would need to spend quite a bit of cash to do any real improvement over the Premium Hi-Fi system. If I had $3k+ I would replace all the speakers and get high power/low efficiency 4" mid/woofs and tweeters and at least 1-10" JL audio sub for the trunk. Then you need to get a monster battery, maybe a bigger alternator, and a 1 farad cap. Replace all the wires, etc. TOO much work and $$$ for me IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
ItalianButter
Rep
Drives: 6MT BMW 135i, Ducati 620 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I know the Upgraded stereo uses an optical interface to the dsp amp, but it seems the standard stereo uses line level, which should be pretty easy to tap.

Just wondering if anyone has tried just adding an amp to give the subs some extra kick? or even the standard speakers?
I'm in the same situation as you. I found the following information that could be useful:

BABYBMW.NET
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2331

BIMMERFEST.COM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256559

Hope this helps...!
Configuration: 6MT, Black Boston Leather: Gray Poplar Wood: Premium Package: Sport Package: Heated Seats: Navigation: Satellite Radio: iPod and USB adaptor
Appreciate 0