BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Anyone planning on installing a fumoto valve? I had one on my previous car and loved it--made draining the oil much easier (surprisingly enough). That being said, can anyone comment on if the 135i has a recessed oil drain plug? If that's the case gotta get that adapter too...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Doolab
Private
Rep
Drives: '96 Maxima SE 5MT, '04 MB E500

Oh man, this brings back old memories. I had one of those drain valves some 20+ years ago on my 81 Civic.
Nice gizmo, if you do your own oil changes and want to cut the process down to under 5 minutes. (Great for the track btw)
However, I'm not sure if it would stay on there if you take your car to the dealer or other shops for maintenance. They might not know about it or even like it so much that they'd decide to keep it as a souvenir...

One thing to watch out for is the design of the drain hole/plug that it doesn't stick further down below the bottom edge of the oil pan, 'cause it would suck if it protrudes too low and one day it gets snapped off while driving... :eyebulge:
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolab View Post
Oh man, this brings back old memories. I had one of those drain valves some 20+ years ago on my 81 Civic.
Nice gizmo, if you do your own oil changes and want to cut the process down to under 5 minutes. (Great for the track btw)
However, I'm not sure if it would stay on there if you take your car to the dealer or other shops for maintenance. They might not know about it or even like it so much that they'd decide to keep it as a souvenir...

One thing to watch out for is the design of the drain hole/plug that it doesn't stick further down below the bottom edge of the oil pan, 'cause it would suck if it protrudes too low and one day it gets snapped off while driving... :eyebulge:
It surprisingly works like a charm doesn't it? I initially didn't think it'd be nearly as convenient as it was until I actually used the damn thing.

But man, good call on the service reps. I'll just have to give the service people a little talk when I finally roll up to 15k for the free change.

In the mean time guess I'm going to have to stick my head underneath the car and figure it out. I was hoping to order one before to have on hand when I do my first oil change.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I have the Fumoto drain valve with the nipple on it so I can attach a hose to drain the oil on my STi. I love it, especially for the oil samples I have been taking and there is absolutely no mess. The only thing that is a PITA is the spring clip, which I suggest getting for the added security. Getting it off is easy, but on is a whole 'nother story.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

tag for the proper model....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBMW View Post
tag for the proper model....
Ummmm, what does that mean?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
Ummmm, what does that mean?

tag = internet message board slang for a "post to subscribe" to a thread.

And I post why I was "tagging" the thread too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBMW View Post
tag = internet message board slang for a "post to subscribe" to a thread.

And I post why I was "tagging" the thread too.
lol there is a nice feature under thread tools called subscribe that, well, subscribes you
Anyhow I had something similar, not from the same company but had a nipple as well to let the oil drain into a pan or a bottle
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright. Just did my first oil change. Here are my observations with regard to fitting a fumoto valve:

The oil drain plug is definitely recessed (I couldn't even fit a 17 mm ratchet wrench on it, had to use a 17 mm socket). So you would have to get the extension adapter.
That being said, if you got the adapter and fitted the entire unit, the nipple would be moved quite a bit from the original entrance to the oil pan. If you opened the valve in this position it would definitely miss the undertray opening and leak all over the far side of the undertray. You'd have to use a tube on the nipple to drain the oil.

I might pick one up. Still on the fence about it due to the above mentioned limitations.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
Alright. Just did my first oil change. Here are my observations with regard to fitting a fumoto valve:

The oil drain plug is definitely recessed (I couldn't even fit a 17 mm ratchet wrench on it, had to use a 17 mm socket). So you would have to get the extension adapter.
That being said, if you got the adapter and fitted the entire unit, the nipple would be moved quite a bit from the original entrance to the oil pan. If you opened the valve in this position it would definitely miss the undertray opening and leak all over the far side of the undertray. You'd have to use a tube on the nipple to drain the oil.

I might pick one up. Still on the fence about it due to the above mentioned limitations.
Hmmmm... that does pose a problem. I didn't think that it would be that close but then again I have not looked under a 1 series to check it out.

Let us know.
Appreciate 0