Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Broke a Lug Bolt!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
330ionMaui
Let's See...Bimmer or Lotus today?
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i TiAg ZSP, ZPP

Angry Broke a Lug Bolt!

Ok...I was installing my new 20" wheels. When on the final bolt (OEM bolts) of the last wheel, I broke a lug bolt while torquing. The head of the bolt popped completely off. My torque wrench was set at 88 ft. lb. Has this happened to anyone else? I took a chance and called roadside assistance thinking that they might be able to send a tow truck driver that was knowledgable enough to be able to remove a broken bolt - no such luck. Roadside assistance advised me that all they could do would be to flatbed the car to the dealer. Well the dealer is of course closed until Tuesday, so that is not an option. Should I just wait until Tuesday and have the dealer take care of it or can somebody provide an easy do it yourself solution to remove the broken bolt? Would the car be safe to drive with only four lug bolts or should I have BMW tow the car? Will the dealer blame the break on me and have me pay for labor? :mad:

The good news is that the wheels look great!

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

wow, first i've heard of a broken bolt. if u did torque it correctly i would have to say it was a bad bolt. how far is dealer from ur house? i wouldn't drive it if i were u. just call them first thing in the morning ask what u should do.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Your car is fine with only 4 bolts. You can actually fix it your self very easily. Just take the other 4 bolts off and slide the rim off with the broken stud still in place. Once you have the rim removed, you can use somekind of Vicegrip type wrench to grab onto the broken stud and loosen it. If it is broken too far into the hub you may want to take it to a professional. Call your local Discount Tire and ask them where they send cars when they break bolts (I've had it happen to me plenty of times).
Situations like this are the exact reason cars use lug-bolts instead of lug-nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
Your car is fine with only 4 bolts. You can actually fix it your self very easily. Just take the other 4 bolts off and slide the rim off with the broken stud still in place. Once you have the rim removed, you can use somekind of Vicegrip type wrench to grab onto the broken stud and loosen it. If it is broken too far into the hub you may want to take it to a professional. Call your local Discount Tire and ask them where they send cars when they break bolts (I've had it happen to me plenty of times).
Situations like this are the exact reason cars use lug-bolts instead of lug-nuts.

what he said no need to go to the dealer!!
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
330ionMaui
Rep

I took a peek to see how much of the stud is left sticking out of the hub. One, maybe two threads. Hopefully it'll be enough for a vice grip to grab on to. I always spray WD-40 before replacing lug bolts so hopefully that'll help the broken stud turn. My vice grip seems to have walked off by itself. Here comes another trip to the Home Depot. I'll let you know if it works! Thanks voltron1011.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

worse comes to worse you take a dremel and cut a line ontop of the head and use a hefty flat headed screwdriver and turn it out.

And why may I ask are you using OEM lugs for aftermarket wheels? Arent OEM bolts typically ball seat and aftermarket are cone seats?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Got-BMW?
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Isn't 88ft.lbs a little much!?!?!
      05-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

330ionMaui , just curious, do you turn green and big when you get angry?
      05-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

no 85-90 lbs is on par with torque specs for lugs
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
330ionMaui
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
330ionMaui , just curious, do you turn green and big when you get angry?
I turn green, purple, blue...you name it until I explode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter
worse comes to worse you take a dremel and cut a line ontop of the head and use a hefty flat headed screwdriver and turn it out.

And why may I ask are you using OEM lugs for aftermarket wheels? Arent OEM bolts typically ball seat and aftermarket are cone seats?
Wow...that's news to me if OEM bolts are not to be used with aftermarket wheels. The place I purchased the wheels from told me that OEM bolts were fine. Is this not the case?

Quote:
Your car is fine with only 4 bolts. You can actually fix it your self very easily. Just take the other 4 bolts off and slide the rim off with the broken stud still in place. Once you have the rim removed, you can use somekind of Vicegrip type wrench to grab onto the broken stud and loosen it.
Got back from the Home Depot, took the wheel off only to find out that the one or two threads showing are countersunk so the vise grip wouldn't fit. I got impatient and using a thin drill bit, bore a hole into the broken stud about half way and jammed the bit into the stud. I then slowly reversed the drill and voila...the broken stud screwed out!

Thanks for everyone's advice! I a happy camper now and have returned to normal size and color.

Last edited by 330ionMaui; 05-27-2006 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ionMaui
...Wow...that's news to me if OEM bolts are not to be used with aftermarket wheels. The place I purchased the wheels from told me that OEM bolts were fine. Is this not the case?...
Most stock rims use a bowl type bolt and most aftermarket rims use a more angled bolt.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #12
330ionMaui
Rep

Aftermarket lug bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Most stock rims use a bowl type bolt and most aftermarket rims use a more angled bolt.

Danny
So, bottom line...we shouldn't use OEM lug bolts with aftermarket wheels? What kind of lug bolts are everyone using with their aftermarket wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #13
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

well that's not always the case...wrong lug seat on some wheels means you wont always maintain proper torque specs. And add to that often times when you go different offset/widths you end up having to use longer lugs that's even more critical.

Quote:
What kind of lug bolts are everyone using with their aftermarket wheels?
read what i said above...it's all dependent on offset/width/back pad etc. Your wheel shop SHOULD know all this.

Glad you got the busted lug out
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Interesting article on mounting aftermarket wheels: "As a side note, it is actually possible to break lugs if you go without the proper hub adapters. The hubs themselves are what are supposed to bear the weight of the car while the lugs keep the wheel secured. Without the adapters, it is now the lugs that are bearing the full weight of the vehicle and they may not be up to the task. Breaking lugs isn't an especially common occurrance but it's certainly not unheard of either."

http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/wheelinstall.asp
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #15
SnEeKy4LiFe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

good u got the lugs out. now post pic of your car with the rims
      05-29-2006, 03:53 AM   #16
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ionMaui
I took a peek to see how much of the stud is left sticking out of the hub. One, maybe two threads. Hopefully it'll be enough for a vice grip to grab on to. I always spray WD-40 before replacing lug bolts so hopefully that'll help the broken stud turn. My vice grip seems to have walked off by itself. Here comes another trip to the Home Depot. I'll let you know if it works! Thanks voltron1011.
If no one can help just drill it out yourself just make sure not to drill out the original lugnut hole. Happened to me and that is what I did.
      04-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
wokjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have a 2007 335xi and I recently got my wheels changed. I didn't install them myself I had a shop do it, today I went to tighten the wheel and noticed one of the lug nuts was GONE!!! so my searching go me here and from what I am hearing my car uses lug bolts and not lug nuts. When I look into where the lug bolt should be there doesn't seem to be anything in there. The car has been driving fine, no shaking or anything so maybe the lug bolt just fell out? I'm bringing the car back to the shop tomorrow morning, if nothing is stuck in my hub would I simply just need a new lug bolt?
      04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokjoe View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have a 2007 335xi and I recently got my wheels changed. I didn't install them myself I had a shop do it, today I went to tighten the wheel and noticed one of the lug nuts was GONE!!! so my searching go me here and from what I am hearing my car uses lug bolts and not lug nuts. When I look into where the lug bolt should be there doesn't seem to be anything in there. The car has been driving fine, no shaking or anything so maybe the lug bolt just fell out? I'm bringing the car back to the shop tomorrow morning, if nothing is stuck in my hub would I simply just need a new lug bolt?
Before you drive the car again I would check and make sure all your lug bolts are tightened down to spec. I believe its 85 ft lbs of torque.

Either they didnt put 1 in or they forget to tighten them down enough and one came out.

Assuming it didnt snap inside you can just replace it with a new one.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
wokjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokjoe View Post
Before you drive the car again I would check and make sure all your lug bolts are tightened down to spec. I believe its 85 ft lbs of torque.

Either they didnt put 1 in or they forget to tighten them down enough and one came out.

Assuming it didnt snap inside you can just replace it with a new one.
Thanks Jeff, I'm not really sure how I can check the torque myself, I'll make sure to ask the guys at the shop to check for me. Where can I get a new lug bolt?
      04-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ionMaui View Post
Wouldn't spraying WD-40 on your lug bolts act similar to putting anti-seize on them? If I'm not mistaken the torque spec of 88 ft/lbs is for dry threads. Your lubed threads would give your a very inaccurate torque reading, allowing you to apply much more torque than was measured by your wrench.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Attached Images

Appreciate 0