BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Bluetooth phone compatibility

Has anyone else had success pairing/using an AT&T phone on a 1 series car, where all functions work as expected, especially the phone book?

My Nokia 6682 paired up ok, but the address book does not appear. I guess I'm going to be looking for a phone that will work better with the 1 series bluetooth. The BMWUSA site doesn't mention bluetooth compatible phones for the 1 yet of course, but the only AT&T phone that they DO list for other cars is the
MOTOROLA SLVR L7. They list several others, but they also appear to have some connection issues, such as "call waiting" problems, etc. This is the only one that doesn't have any issues listed.

I'd prefer to get a phone that has bluetooth and can make/receive calls and nothing else. I know that's not gonna happen, but I do want to avoid getting anything that has too many features or that require a service plan that I don't need.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

I'm Curious about this too... BMW has a link that tells you which phones work with which series cars.... I have Sprint and Sprint is not on their list of phones. Does anyone know if Sprint will pair up with the 1'er???

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

HTC 9825/AT&T Tilt paired successfully. No problems at all.

The "appoved phone list" exists, but it's never brought up to date with modern phones...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

The iPhone (which is AT&T) works perfectly! Like it was made for it!
      03-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
mergen
Upstart
Rep

I went ahead and tried a MOTORAZR V3XX which seems to work fine. Paired up and showed address book. This is a pretty nice phone with minimal features and not much money so it didn't hurt too bad to ditch a perfectly good phone.

There was a small glitch in the pairing procedure, though. After the car recognizes the phone and you go to pair them, you have to enter a pin on the car display first. They are somewhat unclear about this and it was not required on my other phone, which asked for a pin on the phone first. After entering the pin on the car, it then asked for it on the phone and it paired up right away.

I also found out from AT&T the the Palm TREO will not display the address book with BMW bluetooth also. That's what the AT&T girl told me anyway. She seemed to know.

The BMW bluetooth is fantastic. I've used several Parrot 3200 devices before and this one is way ahead of the Parrot.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I have a T-mobile BB Curve so hopefully I won't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
joe black
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...commended.html

Check out this link - it is much more thorough than what the dealer showed me. If I can get my Motorola Q to pair and work, anything is possible (Verizon)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
mergen
Upstart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacole View Post
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...commended.html

Check out this link - it is much more thorough than what the dealer showed me. If I can get my Motorola Q to pair and work, anything is possible (Verizon)
That's got it all. I wish I'd had this a couple of days ago. This is much more up to date that what can be found on bmwusa.com. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
yanks4285
You Can Pay for School, But You Can't Buy Class!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i/E82 135I

check out this link: http://wireless4bmw.com, my bro is a bmw service tech and this link shows all phones and service carriers, and phone software compatible with all bmw's.from what my bro tells me that if you use the wrong phone or phone with incorrect software level,of incorrect phone carrier it could corrupt the software in the car and cause funky electronic issues that he says he has witnessed as a tech.if they conclude that the incorrect phone cause these issus (they can tell you anything with there diagnostic equipment)then the repair becomes customer pay.repairs could range from several hundred dollars (reloading software with there progman machine) to several thousand (control unit replacement).
      03-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Troyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks8586 View Post
check out this link: http://wireless4bmw.com, my bro is a bmw service tech and this link shows all phones and service carriers, and phone software compatible with all bmw's.from what my bro tells me that if you use the wrong phone or phone with incorrect software level,of incorrect phone carrier it could corrupt the software in the car and cause funky electronic issues that.he says he has witnessed as a tech.if they conclude that the incorrect phone cause these issus (they can tell you anything with there diagnostic equpment)then the repair becomes customer pay.repairs could range from several hundred dollars (reloading software with there progman machine) to several thousand (control unit replacement).

I would love to hear if anyone else can confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

BT Phones have different BT profiles. Some use the same profile, which is common. The paring device (the car) has to be able to have that profile (or one close - called the bluetooth stack) in order for it to function with the car and allow for pairing. If you have an incompatible profile it will either not pair with the car, or certain features will not work, like the address book.

I have NEVER heard of a set of BT devices pairing, and one becoming damaged because the BT stack was not compatible. Matter of fact, on my last ED, the person showing me my car asked me if I wanted to pair my phone (which I know was way too new to be approved). He just asked if it was bluetooth capable and tried to pair it, which it paired fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
Troyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I have NEVER heard of a set of BT devices pairing, and one becoming damaged because the BT stack was not compatible.
That's about what I was thinking. I have paired more than a few BT phones with several car makers vehicles and have never experienced or heard of such an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
joe black
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

BT blow up question

My dealer referred me to the wireless4bmw site and started quoting the same dramatic stories about software and hardware meltdowns from non-authorized pairings. Then I found the site that I posted above which seems to be a more credible, technically articulate BMW site - http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...commended.html

after all - it starts with BMW. I don't know how we could ever be forced to pay for some glitch when the BMW site says it is OK. imo.

Anyway mine is still working very well and I have not seen any smoke yet. :smile:

btw I sent my dealer this site and he thanked me for correcting his error.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyn View Post
I would love to hear if anyone else can confirm this.
Yes, an unapproved phone could lock up or damage the telematics control unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
foxtrot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I have NEVER heard of a set of BT devices pairing, and one becoming damaged because the BT stack was not compatible. Matter of fact, on my last ED, the person showing me my car asked me if I wanted to pair my phone (which I know was way too new to be approved). He just asked if it was bluetooth capable and tried to pair it, which it paired fine.
You're absolutely right. The reason you've never heard of it is simple: it would require a pretty spectacular bug in the car's firmware if it were actually possible to "damage" the car's on-board system by attaching a bluetooth device, compatible or no. If it's compatible, it'll just work-- the profile tells the devices what each can and can't do. It's not like you're plugging in a cable that can push too much voltage or something stupid. If it's not compatible, you'll just get a message telling you the device can't be found or that it doesn't offer services you can use.

If the BMW's bluetooth system is claiming compatibility, then not actually supporting things its profile says it is, that's a software bug and should be treated as such. If it locks up the nav system or something similar, that's evidence of a computer programmer and/or a QA team who should consider doing something else for a living. And if it actually causes physical damage to the system, there's a whole team of engineers somewhere who probably ought to be dragged out and shot before they screw up something else in such a spectacular fashion...

That all said: One of the things BMW does for a living is attempt to engineer pleasant driving experiences. They're going to test phones, and they're going to recommend ones that, in their opinion, offer an appropriately seamless connection and experience. They say they recommend ones that do hands-free calling well, deal with the internal phone book well, etc. If it's not on their list, it means one of two things. 1) They haven't tested it, or 2) they tested it and they consider the phone to be substandard for one reason or another-- perhaps it won't pair at all, perhaps it only supports some of the functionality they want, or perhaps the phone itself has a buggy (or simply different) implementation of some function they think it should support well.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #16
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Anyone know if the Nokia N95 works with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 03:26 AM   #17
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I'm no bluetooth expert, but I would expect any bluetooth device with a bluetooth logo has to work with other bluetooth devices (theoretically).

So there should really just be a list of phones that don't work due to some bug or quirk. Right?

Here is the certification program text from wikipedia:
Next to the development of the technology itself, the qualification process is one of the most important aspects and interoperability requirements are specified in detail. The manufacturer must report the results of these tests to a Bluetooth Qualification Body (BQB). If they do not follow the specification of a particular test, the manufacturer must also report the detail of what they did instead.
If these tests are all passed, the device progresses to the Category A tests. These must be carried out at recognised Bluetooth Qualification Test Facilities, of which there are currently only 20 in the world [3]. As of 2005, this testing process costs $10 000 for Adopter members and $5 000 for Associate members and Promoter members. These test facilities use equipment developed specifically for the purpose, and are approved on behalf of the Qualifications Review Board by a Bluetooth Technical Assessor (BTA). These assessors are individuals who are experienced with such laboratory assessment procedures and who can demonstrate their understanding of the technical requirements of Bluetooth. The SIG currently contracts with accreditation organizations to carry out the process of selecting and training Assessors, with the Qualifications Review Board giving the eventual formal approval.
Once a device has passed all the Category A, B and C tests to the satisfaction of a BQB, it is allowed to be marketed as a Bluetooth device using the Bluetooth trademarks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
Dr. No
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 135i (E82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Anyone know if the Nokia N95 works with it?
It does work, but you will have to install this application in order to be able to transfer you phonebook:

Nokia 810 Contact Download Application for Nokia S60 3rd edition devices
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
I'm no bluetooth expert, but I would expect any bluetooth device with a bluetooth logo has to work with other bluetooth devices (theoretically).

So there should really just be a list of phones that don't work due to some bug or quirk. Right?
There are phones which send out too much information at too fast a rate, and they can lock up the TCU. Usually, all you have to do is delete the paired phone from the TCU, but I've seen TCUs that needed to be replaced because of this.

BMW is very particular about approved phones. All TCU replacements (even if the car is out of warranty) require their authorization, and they will ask the phone model, carrier, and software version. If the phone isn't approved, they can deny the warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
There are phones which send out too much information at too fast a rate, and they can lock up the TCU. Usually, all you have to do is delete the paired phone from the TCU, but I've seen TCUs that needed to be replaced because of this.

BMW is very particular about approved phones. All TCU replacements (even if the car is out of warranty) require their authorization, and they will ask the phone model, carrier, and software version. If the phone isn't approved, they can deny the warranty claim.
If it were to "send out too much information at too fast a rate" it wouldn't pass the bluetooth SIG test and it wouldn't have a logo on it. And I'm not sure how it would even do that.

I design software for a living and I have never heard of anything like this. Not saying it isn't true, but label me a major skeptic.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #21
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
If it were to "send out too much information at too fast a rate" it wouldn't pass the bluetooth SIG test and it wouldn't have a logo on it. And I'm not sure how it would even do that.

I design software for a living and I have never heard of anything like this. Not saying it isn't true, but label me a major skeptic.
+1 on both his posts (I'm just an engineer though).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #22
740i325e135i
Not worthy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 325e, 528i, 740i, F30

Blackberry 8310 (Curve)

Has anyone successfully integrated the Blackberry Curve (8300 or 8310) via Bluetooth
Appreciate 0