BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Gil, what happened to the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1?

Is it being replaced with a new version already?
      03-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (Tire Type Z1SS) will eventually replace non “Star Spec” Direzza Sport Z1 (Tire Type Z1)

The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is Dunlop's Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for serious sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan enthusiasts looking for race tire-like traction on the street or for use in autocross, drifting and track events. The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is for drivers who don’t want to wait as long for their tires to come in during initial runs, as well as drivers of lighter weight vehicles who are often confronted with the task of working tire temperatures up to the point of generating peak grip.

As an evolution of the Direzza Sport Z1 and continuing to use the same tread design, the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tread compound helps provide faster lap times from the start by developing more traction in temperate temperatures along with consistent grip on subsequent laps when the tires are fully warmed up. While this means the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tread compound accommodates a wider operating temperature range than the original Direzza Sport Z1 and reaches its maximum grip level faster, Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec summer tires are not intended to be driven through snow, on ice or in near-freezing temperatures.

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires confirm their “Star Spec” identity in the form of a 5-pointed star symbol branded adjacent to the Direzza Sport Z1 name on the sidewall. However, this 5-pointed star should not be confused with the same symbol often branded by tire manufacturers on the sidewalls of Original Equipment tires for BMW vehicles.

The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tread compound is molded into a directional design featuring notched, continuous shoulder ribs, large intermediate shoulder blocks and a wide center rib to deliver consistent contact with the road and enhance grip during cornering. Two wide, circumferential center grooves, wavy shoulder grooves and multiple lateral grooves provide water evacuation to enhance wet traction. The tire's internal structure includes two wide steel belts reinforced by JointLess Band (JLB) Technology spirally wound polyamide to provide strength, uniform ride quality and high-speed capability while steel cord reinforced, 2-ply polyester sidewalls help resist lateral deflection to provide responsive handling and cornering stability.

NOTE: The Tire Rack recommends installing Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires in sets of four to fully realize the benefits of the Star Spec tread compound. While the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec can be mixed with its predecessor in axle pairs if necessary, it is recommended that the treads be shaved to the equivalent tread depth of the existing tires.

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires feature black sidewall styling with subtle black letters reversed out of a stylized sidewall. Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires are V- or W-speed rated and available in a range of 55-, 50-, 45-, 40- and 35-series sizes for 15- through 18-inch wheel diameters.

UTQG Ratings: Treadwear 200
Traction A
Temperature A

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Gil.
      04-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

fyi...

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Tires ‘Star’ in SCCA National ProSoloAKRON, Ohio, April 3, 2008 – Dunlop’s new Direzza Sport Z1 “Star Spec” tires came through with “flying colors” at California’s El Toro airfield.Racer Richard Jung, of Laguna Niguel, Calif., won the Street Touring Ultra (STU) class with the new street tires on his Mitsubishi Evo in the 2008 Tire Rack ProSolo opener at the former U.S. Marine air station. Then he did what he believed was unthinkableThe vice president for CiroDesign, an Irvine product-and-graphics design company, raced against 32 drivers from all classes in the Super Challenge “format” and won all five elimination rounds. He was crowned Super Challenge champion. Jung was the only SCCA driver using Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 “Star Spec” ultra high-performance tires at that event. Jung said, “El Toro was a great debut for the new ‘Zed One Star Specs.’ The class win created a lot of interest in Dunlop tires. I did well previously on the Direzza Sport Z1 tires with an STU class victory in San Diego two weeks prior, but the ‘Star Specs’ were even better “I can feel the difference; as advertised, you can push ‘Star Specs’ on the first run. This was an advantage, since it allowed a more consistent feel and reduced the need for suspension adjustments between runs,” Jung said. Matthew Neidert, brand manager for Dunlop high-performance tires, said Jung’s class win “proved the Star Specs could be a top contender in STU. But by winning the Super Challenge in one day, he kicked down the door. His times and consistency allowed him to take the win over the cars from other classes, even those with race-compound tires. ”A win in the hotly contested STU class is noteworthy, Neidert said, but Jung’s overall win in Super Challenge “truly is amazing. He really had his Evo ‘dialed in’ for the competition. ”Jung said he became interested in Direzza Sport Z1 ‘Star Spec’ tires when he read press reports. “I didn't really plan to be different, but to be a top competitor in the class, I feel it's important to test tires to find out what works to gain a performance advantage. We're still learning the tire's characteristics, but so far we've had pretty good results,” he said. The new Direzza Sport Z1 “Star Spec” is available now, qualifying it for use in Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) national events. According to section 13.3 of the 2008 SCCA SOLO rules, tires must be readily available by April 30 to qualify. The new tire features the “Star Spec” tread compound, which helps a performance car’s initial dry grip during sanctioned amateur driving events, such as autocross and high-performance track-events hosted by regional car clubs. A high-response directional tread pattern with circumferential grooves helps create a consistent contact patch on the pavement for a smooth feel and seamless transition. An “optimal mold shape” helps provide a consistent footprint shape and uniform pressure distribution across the footprint for enhanced cornering, Neidert said. Dunlop is a global tire brand with an excellent reputation among performance car enthusiasts. Well known for its prestigious original-equipment fitments and sports car racing heritage, Dunlop is also a key supplier to sport compact enthusiasts featuring "tuner" tire sizes and race series sponsorships. For more information on Dunlop’s performance tires, go to http://www.dunloptires.com <http://www.dunloptires.com>

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

Gill get some reading glasses .
      04-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
new_one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

as i scrolled down i actually jumped back on that second post and then lol'd.

cut and paste thing prob?

But thanks for the information Gill!

- Jim new_one
"All human interaction is mathematics and politics."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaskell View Post
Gill get some reading glasses .
Yes, cut and paste. Well played.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

I'll fix it.
Appreciate 0