E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crank but no start, broken rocker arm found

01-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #1
edbbmw
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Question Crank but no start, broken rocker arm found

E91 318 from 2007, ~190k km on the engine - drove without issues but didn’t start next day. Cranks fine by the sound of it but no ignition. Took it to a shop who tried a new fuel pump but that did not help.
They then opened up the head and found a broken rocker arm.
They suggest a new rocker arm and replace the timing chain (might have stretched they said?) and redo timing but say they’re still fairly uncertain if that would be the end of it (guesstimated 65% chance of success they said).
Given that this would already cost 2-2.5k (eur) and the residual value of the car is not that high (prob <8k when fixed) I wanted to get some additional opinions on this before giving them the go-ahead.

Any strong ideas/suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #2
edbbmw
Rep

Had another call with the shop.. said they got the engine running 'but not smoothly/properly'.. said they would need to open up the block and that it would be at least 3k eur and potentially more (5k+?) if the whole engine needs replacing.
At that stage I'm fairly certain the costs are not worth it for the residual value of the car. Which is sad because it's such a nice car otherwise and I was hoping to enjoy it for another 50k km at least.

Seeing what some salvage companies will bid for this now (what do you guys think is fair? nice cognac leather interior with the sport seats in good state, sport bumpers, oem hifi upgrade) and if its anywhere north of 3k I'm probably selling with a heavy heart.
I don't have the space/time to open up / replace the block myself but I'll probably try to store it al my old mans place and work on it later if the highest bid is too low.

Any idea on what a non-running 318 like this would be worth?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
It looks beautiful in that photo! If the mileage is low, maybe could justify an engine swap?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:47 AM   #4
edbbmw
Rep

Yea I'm definitely considering that. I've done a transmission replacement in the driveway before but engine swap is next level.. and if I get a shop to do it then between the engine costs and labour costs I doubt it's worth it compared to just buying another vehicle.
But putting the costs and time/skill requirements aside for a minute.. what engines would qualify? I've seen many mentioned in different threads but I'm having a hard time listing which ones would qualify as an 'easy' swap (let's say only marginally more difficult than replacing with an identical engine block).
Any out of N52/53/54 would be doable with some patience? The old engine was definitely a bit sluggish so it would be a nice opportunity to switch to something more powerful.. but I'm just wondering if I'd be biting off more than I can chew..
Appreciate 0