BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Will you track you 1-Series?
Absolutely! 72 51.06%
Probably. 20 14.18%
Um, maybe. 18 12.77%
Nope 31 21.99%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

01-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Anyone Tracking or Autocrossing their 1-Series?

I was just curious to see what percentage of people were planning on taking their 1-series on the track.

And, if you are going to track, what type of events will you be participating in, and what will you do to make your car track-ready.

I'm pretty certain that I will, but I haven't decided where yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Wider front wheels/tyres, thicker rear bar, coilovers, lighter wheels, semi-slicks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I instruct at track days in the NE for a couple different clubs. my 1er will be seeing lots of track time. I'll actually have it at Lime Rock on April 10.

the biggest prep for the track will be brake pads but from there I'll be putting PSS9 or similar shock spring package, camber plates, probably a bigger front bar(yes I sad front not rear) and from there I'll see what the car needs and adjust.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

BMWeber, front bar is certainly a DIY on these cars. The rear bar (if it's anything like the e90, which I expect it is) means you have to drop the rear subframe, which almost eliminates a DIY unless you're very competent and have help plus the tools for it.

By the way, I'll be tracking and autocrossing this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i'll probably do my usual 3-4 DE events per year, mostly with BMWCCA.

i plan to do brake pads/fluid, new wheels/tires (hoping that 17x8.5's will fit the front) like falken rt615's. suspension stuff later, once i get a feel for the car. i'm not going to go to R comps until i've had 3-4 weekends with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
I instruct at track days in the NE for a couple different clubs. my 1er will be seeing lots of track time. I'll actually have it at Lime Rock on April 10.

the biggest prep for the track will be brake pads but from there I'll be putting PSS9 or similar shock spring package, camber plates, probably a bigger front bar(yes I sad front not rear) and from there I'll see what the car needs and adjust.
Could you elaborate on why one should use a bigger front bar? I hear conflicting opinions--one should "in theory" use a bigger rear bar or as my racer buddy told me, a bigger front bar is what actually helps counter the understeer of the vehicle as opposed to a bigger rear bar.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I'll definitely be tracking my 1er.

Hoping new pads/tires (larger diameter up front) is all it needs for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post
Could you elaborate on why one should use a bigger front bar? I hear conflicting opinions--one should "in theory" use a bigger rear bar or as my racer buddy told me, a bigger front bar is what actually helps counter the understeer of the vehicle as opposed to a bigger rear bar.

this may be a long post for me

In a mostly stock car or lightly tuned a bigger rear bar is great at helping understeer. it is also a great for autocrossing.
For myself and the way I like my car set up there are too many adverse effects of a large rear bar. one way I like to start this is to think about one of the great features of BMW's, INDEPENDANT rear suspension. the rear sway bar connects the rear suspension the larger your rear sway bar the less independent your rear suspension is. It makes lift throttle over steer More sever, abrupt and also lifts(takes weight off) the inside rear wheel when corning. this makes it harder to put the power down coming out of a corner. so that's my quick explanation for disliking a big rear bar.
the reason I put a big front bar in is because of the McPherson strut suspension. there is a point especially in a lowered car when you start to loos neg camber. so with a setup track suspension you want as little roll of compression in the front end. so you get a ++ with the front bar it helps the car maintain neg camber and front grip while helping the rear stick and stay planted. by the way BMW developed its own huge stiff front sway bare for E46 race cars.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...T_ID=BMWMSFSBK

so as for basic tuning to make up for under steer I start with alignment(the first step with the 1er will be bigger front tires), then spring & shock tuning and sway bar is absolutely last. now this is just my feeling and the way my cars fell good to me. I also know some people in the SCCA with rear wheel drive cars that completely remove there rear sway bar. and others that have huge rear bars.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
To start, I will absolutely be using my 1 on the track and autocross course. My 330 has served me well and will have between 18 and 20k track miles on her by the end of this year. Time for something with a little more go down the straights. It would drive me nuts to have a car like the 135 and have to only drive it on the street. What a waste.

On another matter, BMWeber is absolutely correct in his post.

I posted before about not rushing to the conclusion that a larger rear bar is the answer to this cars handling. My experience as an ex-racer and 10 year CCA and Audi instructor, and backed by TC Kline's set up suggestions on my 330 says that the big front bar and lack of a rear bar is better for getting the power down out of a corner. It also keeps the rotation slow and progressive, making the car really easy toi drive close to the limit.
      01-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
To start, I will absolutely be using my 1 on the track and autocross course. My 330 has served me well and will have between 18 and 20k track miles on her by the end of this year. Time for something with a little more go down the straights. It would drive me nuts to have a car like the 135 and have to only drive it on the street. What a waste.

On another matter, BMWeber is absolutely correct in his post.

I posted before about not rushing to the conclusion that a larger rear bar is the answer to this cars handling. My experience as an ex-racer and 10 year CCA and Audi instructor, and backed by TC Kline's set up suggestions on my 330 says that the big front bar and lack of a rear bar is better for getting the power down out of a corner. It also keeps the rotation slow and progressive, making the car really easy toi drive close to the limit.
always nice to get a little validation
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
... and backed by TC Kline's set up suggestions on my 330 says that the big front bar and lack of a rear bar is better for getting the power down out of a corner.
Pete at TC Kline knows his stuff, and that's generally his first recommendation for most people buying suspension components from them. I found that for autocrossing my 332ti it did not help to get the power down and better. With it being a light car, and already having LSD, it was easy to rotate, but I got too much leaning in back, which upsets the car. Even with shocks set to fukll firm adn 600lb springs on that little car in the back, it still tucked the tires deep into the wheelwell...

I suppose for track (which I have yet to do in that car), it would help. I do more autox than track, so ymmv on your setup. At first, this is all going to be trial an error anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'll be doing at least a couple of Solo2 events with the 135i and probably a few track days. My usual toy is a 2003 Miata, but I won't be able to resist taking the "grocery getter" out for some fun too. :biggrin: The lure of double the Miata's HP will be too strong to ignore...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I'll be campaigning the car in Rio Grande Region SCCA Solo this season with dealer sponsorship. Depending on how soon the BMW Performance Parts appear for the 135i I may have to run in Stock class, but if they get here in time it will be Street Prepared.
      01-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Klinn - I know what you're saying. I can go WOT through third gear in the Miata and not rouse the local constabulary from their slumbers. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Klinn - I know what you're saying. I can go WOT through third gear in the Miata and not rouse the local constabulary from their slumbers. ; -)
The exhaust note of the BMW may be a bigger cop magnet than a red paint color. Better start saving up...
      01-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Yeah, I'm sure I'll track sooner or later. It's been about 2 years since......Beaver Run outside Pittsburgh. I've been to Nelson Ledges in OH, too. I'm a member of the tarheel chapter now, they are pretty active. VIR is a track I've always wanted to run.

No real mods for me, maybe a short-shift later on. Stock 135 all the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
lifesaride
Private
Rep
Drives:

Rarely I voted no. Fastest way into the shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Everyone should try an autocross or three, if just to get familiar with the handling dynamics of their car and to meet up with other car nuts and see their rides.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Agreed! Autocrossing is the cheapest and safest motorsport and tremendous fun. It's a bitch on tires, but the rest of the car is not punished as much as in multiple 20 minute track sessions in a day.
      01-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer98 View Post
Beaver Run outside Pittsburgh.
Great track :smile:
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
i'll probably do my usual 3-4 DE events per year, mostly with BMWCCA.

i plan to do brake pads/fluid, new wheels/tires (hoping that 17x8.5's will fit the front) like falken rt615's. suspension stuff later, once i get a feel for the car. i'm not going to go to R comps until i've had 3-4 weekends with the car.
+1. I usually only do 2 events per year, but I'll follow a similar path for the suspension.

I also want to investigate if the E8x has the "free camber mod" like the E46 has - if it does, it will go a long way towards taming the understeer.

And before any of that, I'll probably be throwing a JuiceBox on it, in Europe, right after taking delivery. :smile:

In the meantime, this year with the 335 I'll investigate an easy/cheap method for oil temp reduction - via specialized oil. I'll try the BMW Motorsport 10W60 first, then if that doesn't do anything the (? weight unknown) Motul racing oil recommended by a very good racing shop in the area (Road Racing Technologies). They had a 335 at the DC Auto Show prepped for the One Lap.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #22
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

I just started a new post, not realizing this one basically covers it. I need to investigate the SCCA angle. I don't want to gut the thing so early in it's life for BMWCCA Club Racing. Hey TrojanBMW...Do you race anything Currently?? I only ask since we're within 3 miles of each other.
Appreciate 0