BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2023, 10:07 PM   #1
beemerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x1

Partial clear PPF or Full matte PPF for 2024 X3? Carbon Black or Sophisto Grey(DSM)?

I've ordered a new 2024 iX3 M Sport Pro arriving next early year in Australia but am posting here because the X3 forum is more active and the iX3 and X3 shares the same body. My interior is Black Vernasca Leather seats with blue stitching, and dark Rhombicle trim.

I'm still able to change my colour between Carbon Black or Sophisto Grey(Dark Graphite Metallic in US), but want to pick fellow X3 drivers' minds about which colour looks best with and without Matte PPF.

1) As I do quite a bit of highway driving, the first (cheaper) option I'm looking at a Clear/Glossy Full Front and rocker panels PPF + ceramic coating for easier cleaning. ($4000)

2) A pricier second option I'm considering is a Full body Matte PPF ($7000), would a matte Carbon Black or Sophisto Grey(Dark Graphite Metallic) X3 look nicer? (Photo of a Matte PPF Sophisto Grey X3 attached, I couldn't find a matte Carbon Black X3 photo) Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:16 PM   #2
beemerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Carbon Black vs Sophisto Grey (stock colours with no matte PPF applied)

Carbon Black vs Sophisto Grey stock colours
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:29 PM   #3
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i Tanzanite Blue

To my way of thinking, the partial gloss option is more for protection (won't make it look better/different). The matte option on the other hand will totally transform the vehicle's entire look as well as provide ultimate protection. So what is your goal?

If I was spending your money I would choose Carbon Black all day long with matte PPF! Swing for the fence!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 05:25 AM   #4
beemerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetime View Post
To my way of thinking, the partial gloss option is more for protection (won't make it look better/different). The matte option on the other hand will totally transform the vehicle's entire look as well as provide ultimate protection. So what is your goal?

If I was spending your money I would choose Carbon Black all day long with matte PPF! Swing for the fence!
Thanks ridetime, my main goal is paint protection and ease of maintenance.

However seeing as both colours are the same costs, I'm wondering which looks more expensive/easier to keep clean, and would benefit from a matte PPF the most?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Carbon black is a unique color I would do clear PPF. its hard to keep clean lol

Now with Sophisto Grey is not as unique as CB so I would do Matte .

I had both colors on X3, CB gives off purpliesh blueish color depending on sunlight.
SG looked black all the time lol, I just trade mine in for an AW.

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #6
CaesarXCII
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

I’m a sucker for carbon black, I have it on my old car (now wife’s car) and it’s super super nice.
I did not get it new so it was already full of micro scratching from roll washing, it’s why I went for a PPF for the X3.

So in your position, I would take CB, and then for sure put PPF.
Full or not depends on budget, it was 8k for full PPF, and 3k something for “Full front” + ceramic coating, so I went for the later, and I would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 12:07 AM   #7
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy View Post
Thanks ridetime, my main goal is paint protection and ease of maintenance.

However seeing as both colours are the same costs, I'm wondering which looks more expensive/easier to keep clean, and would benefit from a matte PPF the most?
You're still on with the "looks most expensive" dude?? Looks are completely subjective, and what "looks expensive" to you will (not maybe) look cheap to someone else.

Get what appeals to YOU and don't worry about satisfying someone else's tastes/preferences.
Appreciate 0