BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Satellite Radio Question

So, anyone who has a 1 or knows about the electronics. (and this is early for any US people I know) For the Satellite radio, is the connector similar to previous BMWs? Does the 1 use the iBus system or the newer electronics modules. I have an XM setup in my MINI that integrates with the steering wheel controls that I would love to transfer over to the 1.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I think it is likely it will use the MOST bus, like in all iDrive equipped cars. There is no integrated XM option for MOST bus cars, I believe. iBus is e46 era technology, which seeing you have a 2004 Mini, would be about right.

Maybe the merger between XM and Sirius will be a done deal by then, and you can keep your XM programming on the existing Sat Radio hardware on the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I was afraid of that. I just hate paying the prices they want for Sat radio for any provider. BMW sells the adaptor for $1000 installed for the new MINIs and that is highway robbery. Even half that is way too high since the lifetime sub is worht about $250 directly from Sirius. All the worse that I have a current system for free.

With the merger, it really stinks since there is no way the Sat Radio in the 1 will be compatible with the new setup to get both, so you will be stuck with much more limited choices unless someone comes out with an adaptor again, but I would guess that all of that is on hold pending the merger.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

Satellite Radio

Sherifftruman,

I've got the same setup in my 06 S. XM direct box via a Blitzsafe connector into the factory CD Changer connection...I had an 07 S loaner for about a week while my 06 was in the shop. If the 128/135 has the same stereo bus as the 07 Mini, it won't work unless Blitzsafe makes another box. It's a totally different connection.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
320Devil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 17 X5M

I have my order and deposit down for my 135, but I'm starting to feel sick over how much they charge for the sirrius satellite radio option. If I wasn't addicted to the NFL network on Sirrius I wouldn't have selected that option. My question is: I'm guessing since the radio is "Sirrius ready", can we buy an after market sirrus tuner (not the poor FM transmitter type) and have it hard wired into the OEM radio? I know they cost around $100 and can probably get it installed for $100. Then we could all save $400. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zpilot View Post
I have my order and deposit down for my 135, but I'm starting to feel sick over how much they charge for the sirrius satellite radio option. If I wasn't addicted to the NFL network on Sirrius I wouldn't have selected that option. My question is: I'm guessing since the radio is "Sirrius ready", can we buy an after market sirrus tuner (not the poor FM transmitter type) and have it hard wired into the OEM radio? I know they cost around $100 and can probably get it installed for $100. Then we could all save $400. Any thoughts?
being 'sirius ready' just means the vehicle has all the necessary wirings to retrofit bmw's sirius radio receiver into the vehicle.
Appreciate 0