BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Driving in snow/ice/rain? Handling?

11-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Driving in snow/ice/rain? Handling?

Okay, part of my reason for getting an STI was the balance of power and awd all weather prowess. Now I've been contemplating on the 135i, but I'm concerned about how the rwd aspect of the car handle in bad weather/snow storms. I live in upstate NY and for those that live in NY know how the weather can get tricky. What are some of your thoughts and expertise regarding BMW rwd bad weather handling? When I looked at the 335i and brought it up to the dealer, he said the traction ctrl and skinny snows would handle better than an AWD car would. :iono::iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Tires are really the only thing that matters. Modern snow tires are incredible, and if you can afford the 1er you can and should buy a set to run during the winter. We used to run a Corolla with Bridgestone Blizzaks in Chicago and it was amazing the amount of traction we had.

Plus, unlike AWD, snow tires will help you STOP! A 135i with snow tires should not be a problem unless you're trying to go through deep snow. I can't see how RWD would be a problem with proper snow tires.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

What 1ster said!!

I run the Miata in the winter on Blizzaks and it's the best snow car I've owned (as long as the snow isn't more than 3" deep ; -). It's absolutely incredible what snow tires can do for a car's ability to get around (real snow tires that is, the Mountain & Snowflake type, not the M + S type).

And yes you want them skinnier than summer tires.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Okay, tires I know will definitely help. But what about snow that's 3in or more? I've never driven a RWD car in snow. When I had good all season tires on my 97 prelude, it handled a snow storm like a mountain lion. My father has a 97 740il with traction ctrl and he's driven in deep snow with no problems. But given the 135 weight and stature, do you think it would affect it's ability to handle 3in or more of snow?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Well that depends on ground clearance, I suspect the 135i has better ground clearance than my Miata. But the Miata has about the same weight split as the 135i (a little more like 52/48 than 50/50) and it is a blast to drive in the snow. It goes right up hills in snow and ice when the FWD mom-mobiles are struggling. Plus, you can do powerslides, doughnuts, drifts and all manner of obnoxiousness at realtively low speeds. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Like the rest, tires are a big factor, but then so is the driver:wink:

My first car was rwd, and was the best handling winter car I've had, hands down, it went where I wanted, when I wanted, rarely snow-plowed, and I could bring the rear-end around with a graceful touch

Granted I've never really had an AWD (well, now we do because the wife's Tribute has it, but it also has some decent tires for all-seasons too), but I'd take RWD over FWD any day.

All the cars I've perviously owned have had all-seasons tires, some have been pretty good in winter, others terrible (avoid Goodyear Eagle RS-A's at all costs...), but personnaly I've already been thinking that a good set of winter's will be a must for the 128...unless it comes with mind-blowingly-amazing all-seasons...which I doubt.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
jopali
Private
Rep
Drives:

I went to school in Ithaca, NY and drove a 325i RWD and had no problems. This past winter was the craziest I'd seen in my four years there and she handled it well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpGrade+ View Post
Okay, tires I know will definitely help. But what about snow that's 3in or more?
Unless you're concerned about ground clearance, I don't understand your question.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Tires are really the only thing that matters. Modern snow tires are incredible, and if you can afford the 1er you can and should buy a set to run during the winter. We used to run a Corolla with Bridgestone Blizzaks in Chicago and it was amazing the amount of traction we had.

Plus, unlike AWD, snow tires will help you STOP! A 135i with snow tires should not be a problem unless you're trying to go through deep snow. I can't see how RWD would be a problem with proper snow tires.

Ill cheat and just say +1 :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

AWD is badass in snow. I could take my Talon up through the mountains on somewhat crappy all season tires and hammer through a half foot.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

I went to college south of rochester right in the snow belt for 4 years wit a vw golf lowered and no lsd. Got a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter and never had a problem ever wit snow several inches deep. with good snow tires and rwd and a like driving skill youll have better control than wit ur wrx. you could always opt for a 335xi if its in your budget.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpGrade+ View Post
When I looked at the 335i and brought it up to the dealer, he said the traction ctrl and skinny snows would handle better than an AWD car would. :iono::iono:
Total crock - absolute utter BS. I usually had to turn OFF DSC to get anywhere in snow my 528iT when we lived in Greenwich CT. It's a handicap, not a help.

As an FYI, I got my driver's ed in the now, driving a RWD car sideways in very snowy St. Louis when I was 15-16 - this is not an opinion, but experience based from someone very comfortable in harsh conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Tires are really the only thing that matters.
Another crock.

Driving skills are the most important factor. Equipment will NEVER make up for that.

Furthermore AWD>FWD>RWD in snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I can't see how RWD would be a problem with proper snow tires.
Your not being able to "see" only indicates your lack of experience driving in serious winter conditions.
Appreciate 0