BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos THIS is a FLAGSHIP car...and why i love MB

11-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Thumbs up THIS is a FLAGSHIP car...and why i love MB

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...photopanel..2.*

Good write up. I am dying to have an AMG experience. What other mass production auto company does things like this??? I wonder if these ultra wealthy people ever ''open it up?'' Or do they just buy it to say that I have the biggest baddest benz sedan ever. Mercedes has been as high as you can go before you hit Rolls Royce and the like for a very long time. Nobody is going to knock them from that prestige status as long as I'm alive at least. Does anybody have any experience with the Big Boy AMG's?? Heres a few highlights:

"It's all about having it because you can. There's also the fact that many of the buyers of cars like this simply walk into their Mercedes dealer every three years and ask, "What's the best model this year?" The current answer is the S65. Sold!"

"Wickedly fast, awesomely opulent, spectacularly built, simply luxurious, ultimately desirable."

"You can quickly dispatch him with disdain as you flick the huge car to the right, tip in a little throttle, then swing back left and around him. Look in the mirror and you're a thousand yards ahead of him. He's no longer even an inconvenience."

"Speaking of torque, we must say there is something supremely entertaining about doing a brake rev burnout in a $190,000 car where you smoke the tires through 1st gear, hit the shift button and smoke them again halfway through 2nd. That's with the electronic stability program switched off, of course."

"With it on, we once floored it away from a light. The car had full traction off the line, but then as all that torque came on at 2,000 rpm, the engine actually overcame the ESP and broke the tires loose at the top of 1st gear. That's how much you have under your right foot in an S65 AMG."
      11-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Meh.... Doesn't do a thing for me...
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

lots of car companies do similar things as the AMG experience. Mazda, Lexus, Volvo, etc... the AMG is more involved and exclusive. not overly impressed by it either. I could go on but I wont
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
lots of car companies do similar things as the AMG experience. Mazda, Lexus, Volvo, etc... the AMG is more involved and exclusive. not overly impressed by it either. I could go on but I wont
Fellas. This is ''CarTalk.'' Enlighten me on your thoughts. I dont see how one is not impressed. And I dont see Mazda, Lexus, Volvo with a 604horspower car.
      11-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Iver ridden in a few camaros with over 650hp and i was not impressed. but it did have a bit in common with the MB, big overweight piece of iron that goes like hell in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Iver ridden in a few camaros with over 650hp and i was not impressed. but it did have a bit in common with the MB, big overweight piece of iron that goes like hell in a straight line.
"In our slalom test, the big S65 ran our course in 66.3 mph — just flat quick. On the skid pad, it registered an exceptional 0.90g."

"On a test track, the S65 turns numbers that would have two-seater sports cars drooling, and competition like the Audi S8 and BMW Alpina B7 cowering in the corner. "

That 650hp camaro probably does one thing very well. Its not the fact that you can accomplish something in most cases. Its how you accomplish them.
      11-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

That's a really fast couch. I think it'd be cool to own one, but I'm afraid I won't have enough money left for it after I get my F430, 911 GT-3, M3 and GT-R. Damn. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
schnell330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

yeah they are really some great cars, my mom has an s550 and its an awesome car; she and i both miss her 745li though. (s550 doesnt stop/steer/or corner nearly as well, but the s550 does set the standard for fit and finish; quality of materials etc)

nonetheless, I plan on blowing past the s65 amg guy in my chipped 135i for $150,000 less :thumbup:

My car doesn't park, it waits
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Not a very pretty car for 190 large.

Mazda RX-8 fenders. Ford Focus headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

I have respect for mb but thats it. nice cars but never have they really been raved about being a superior racing machine thatl make you sh*t your pants like bimmers, porsches, and so on. But to each his own. If mb is your fancy then have at er.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #11
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell330i View Post
yeah they are really some great cars, my mom has an s550 and its an awesome car; she and i both miss her 745li though. (s550 doesnt stop/steer/or corner nearly as well, but the s550 does set the standard for fit and finish; quality of materials etc)

nonetheless, I plan on blowing past the s65 amg guy in my chipped 135i for $150,000 less :thumbup:
Hell yeah man. The S550 is very fast. I did a BMW event about 4yrs ago. They had the S-Class, Audi, Lexus LS, and BMW 7 their. We watched them take all cars around the cones and do straight acceleration, etc. Then we did it ourselves. The 7 is in a class of its own when it comes to driving experience. Even watching from the outside is amazing. The Lexus was ALL OVER THE PLACE squealing like a pig.
      11-22-2007, 03:17 AM   #12
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

The S65 is a brilliant car. A sledge hammer in an armani suit. If I were in a profession where I am often personally visiting clients and/or taking them to lunch and crap like that, S65 would certainly be a weapon of choice. The car boldly states you've arrived. I've been lucky enough to experience this car, and I really think it is an engineering marvel. The S class has been THE engineering pioneer for years.

What I don't see is the point of making any fuss about its skidpad performance? Who cares?????? Sure it's capable for what it is, but why bother?? If/when I get this much cash, I'm sure I'll have a dedicated track toy for that as well. When you have this much money, one can afford to have a car for every mood. Average joe like myself, we need all rounders.

Good video of it's baby brother (S500 - worth watching) here:

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #13
bimmernet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...photopanel..2.*

Good write up. I am dying to have an AMG experience. What other mass production auto company does things like this??? I wonder if these ultra wealthy people ever ''open it up?'' Or do they just buy it to say that I have the biggest baddest benz sedan ever. Mercedes has been as high as you can go before you hit Rolls Royce and the like for a very long time. Nobody is going to knock them from that prestige status as long as I'm alive at least. Does anybody have any experience with the Big Boy AMG's?? Heres a few highlights:

"It's all about having it because you can. There's also the fact that many of the buyers of cars like this simply walk into their Mercedes dealer every three years and ask, "What's the best model this year?" The current answer is the S65. Sold!"

"Wickedly fast, awesomely opulent, spectacularly built, simply luxurious, ultimately desirable."

"You can quickly dispatch him with disdain as you flick the huge car to the right, tip in a little throttle, then swing back left and around him. Look in the mirror and you're a thousand yards ahead of him. He's no longer even an inconvenience."

"Speaking of torque, we must say there is something supremely entertaining about doing a brake rev burnout in a $190,000 car where you smoke the tires through 1st gear, hit the shift button and smoke them again halfway through 2nd. That's with the electronic stability program switched off, of course."

"With it on, we once floored it away from a light. The car had full traction off the line, but then as all that torque came on at 2,000 rpm, the engine actually overcame the ESP and broke the tires loose at the top of 1st gear. That's how much you have under your right foot in an S65 AMG."
I don't have experience with the S55 but when I was picking up my C55 I got the chance to drive a CLS63. HooHaw...if money was plentiful then that would be the "Big AMG" for me.

I'll explain: when I was at the BMW Sales Launch Academy at the Performance Center across the highway from the Spartanburg plant, we got do the "buffet" which is a drive on their road course in every BMW available with only one proviso...you can't turn off the DSP. When i got my turn in the 760iL I was under whelmed because the motor had so much torque that any more force than brushing the accelerator triggered traction control intervention and spoiled what would have been a cool burnout on the way to a nice dash to 120 or so. But why I wouldn't want the S63 or the 760iL is that they are made to isolate you from the edgy, thrill ride that the horsepower, torque, suspension and transmission combined with a scintillating road like the Highway 1 going up the Central California Coast can produce.

When you drive an MZ4, M3, 335i or I presume the 135i, you will experience the sound of a cracking exhaust, induction howl, gear whine and a bit of tire noise that combined with a texture of the road reading through the steering and those big Brembo brakes will produce a visceral, kick in the butt. An experience that excites the tactile and auditory senses inspiring little race excerpts in your mind as you tilt your head into the G force of the wonderfully cupped, near switchbacks of Highway 1...well you get the picture, I hope.

In the big AMG's and 7 Series the feel is less F22 and more Gulfstream VI…quiet, smooth as silk, won’t really get you too excited but is very entertaining to nail the gas and see the other lesser vehicles quickly shrink in the rear view mirror (as traffic permits). The CLS63 is the perfect combination of sumptuous interior amenities but still configured for bags full of fun with great feedback and a soundtrack to make a twisty road fun. Maybe like a Learjet; snug but comfortable out climbs like a F86 and can execute a nice tight turns. That would be the ulimate AMG experience for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernet View Post

In the big AMG's and 7 Series the feel is less F22 and more Gulfstream VI…quiet, smooth as silk, won’t really get you too excited but is very entertaining to nail the gas and see the other lesser vehicles quickly shrink in the rear view mirror (as traffic permits). The CLS63 is the perfect combination of sumptuous interior amenities but still configured for bags full of fun with great feedback and a soundtrack to make a twisty road fun. Maybe like a Learjet; snug but comfortable out climbs like a F86 and can execute a nice tight turns. That would be the ulimate AMG experience for me.
Great post man. I'm getting EXACTLY what your talking about. I someday would like to feel this Gulfstream in action too. Every magazine I've picked up has said the thrust is otherworldly.
      11-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #15
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
"In our slalom test, the big S65 ran our course in 66.3 mph — just flat quick. On the skid pad, it registered an exceptional 0.90g."

"On a test track, the S65 turns numbers that would have two-seater sports cars drooling, and competition like the Audi S8 and BMW Alpina B7 cowering in the corner. "

That 650hp camaro probably does one thing very well. Its not the fact that you can accomplish something in most cases. Its how you accomplish them.
I wont deny it's pretty quick for a massive car but those cornering and slalom number don't impress me at all. especially when the AMG experience it a big marketing event. the slalom was probably a few feet long between cones, increasing distance and with a good set of tires you can get most cars to hit .90g
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I wont deny it's pretty quick for a massive car but those cornering and slalom number don't impress me at all. especially when the AMG experience it a big marketing event. the slalom was probably a few feet long between cones, increasing distance and with a good set of tires you can get most cars to hit .90g
For a 604hp, 738lb torque, 5100lb car?? Yiikes.
      11-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #17
TwiBlueG35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Lexus IS350 Obsidian/Black

I think MB is overusing the AMG title, it makes AMG version for every single Benz model, not exclusive enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #18
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Meh.... Doesn't do a thing for me...
Same. MB makes better cars than that. The S63 provides as much speed as the car would ever want. This is a case study in more is less.