BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos JD Power Surpirses

11-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

JD Power Surpirses

http://image.motortrend.com/f/sedans...ndex-study.jpg

Wow...Hummer is 2nd...Jaguar is 3rd...

Honda and Toyota are both "below industry average"...

...Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but WOW...:eyebulge:

Can't say I'm surprised by Mitsu...and that's only because of having to deal with their service dept, not the actual cars...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

EDIT: Isn't this basically a dealership experience survey? Honda and Toyota dealers have sucked balls for a long time. I'm not surprised they scored low.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

That's a Sales Satisfaction Index - so it does not pertain to the vehicle but the sales process.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Here's something for you to think about. in the late 1980's, I saw a interview with Lee Iacocca (on Johnny Carson/Tonight Show), and he pointed out that the difference in initial quality between the #1 rated auto maker and the #20 rated auto maker was less than 1 defect per car. I was surprised to learn that.

If you look at the 2007 JD Power initial quality survey, you'll see the spread for the entire auto industry from #1 to #36 is 0.79 defects per car. At this point in time, anyone who wants to argue that there are drastic differences between manufacturers doesn't understand what they are talking about. How reliable a car will be is more about the owner, and conditions of ownership, than the nameplate of the car.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
If you look at the 2007 JD Power initial quality survey, you'll see the spread for the entire auto industry from #1 to #36 is 0.79 defects per car. At this point in time, anyone who wants to argue that there are drastic differences between manufacturers doesn't understand what they are talking about. How reliable a car will be is more about the owner, and conditions of ownership, than the nameplate of the car.
+1, although there are makes of cars that seem better build, in terms of feel, rattles, etc. then others, I agree that it mostly comes down to care, maintence, and how the car is driven.

I was thinking the survey was more about how satisfied people are/were with their pruchase of a new vehicle, and not just the sales experience, althought that said, I still funny a few of results somewhat surprising/funny.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
That's a Sales Satisfaction Index - so it does not pertain to the vehicle but the sales process.
Hondas sell themselves. The salespeople are order takers.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Here's something for you to think about. in the late 1980's, I saw a interview with Lee Iacocca (on Johnny Carson/Tonight Show), and he pointed out that the difference in initial quality between the #1 rated auto maker and the #20 rated auto maker was less than 1 defect per car. I was surprised to learn that.

I agree that initial quality is a bs stat and has been for a while. Its the long term ratings that interest me more.