BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Premium Audio

I really have tried searching, so I apologize if this has already been beaten to death. I know BMW has announced that the 1-Series will be available with something called "Premium Sound".

In our collective wisdom, do we think this means the HK Logic 7 (which I'm not impressed with) or this option discussed by Maximus Decimus in another post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
I think we share a similar passion for audio. What I am even more curious about are options that are on the horizon. There is an upgraded stereo, above Logic 7, recently made available for the 5 that will supposedly be available for the 3er in MY 08. It's a 16 speaker digital 9 channel amp system that will be available on the face lifted 5's. With almost double the power it should play even cleaner than the logic 7. Hopefully with even better soundstage and depth. I asked my SA about it, but he says right now there are no plans for it being offered in the 1er. I would definitely want this.

More info here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99335

The claim that it will be available on the 3er was made here by a very reputable source, but I have not confirmed this personally with anyone at bmw:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64876
I could see a case for offering super premium sound on the 1-Series. Volvo's new C30 has a fancy Dynaudio system. And I know audio is important to luxury compact buyers.

Do we think BMW will give us the good stuff? I'm betting they won't, but oh how I wish they would!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Suspect it's the Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

I don't think BMW will EVER have decent stereos.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I've been pressing my dealer here in Germany about it, because I want the best package I can get my hands on. I've even made him call Munich in front of me, their answer is, 'there are no plans to offer the new high end system available in the 5er in the 1er'. Will they offer it later????? I would bet the farm, they will. When? Who knows, but bmw is notorious for punishing early adopters by offering great lil goodies towards the mid or end of a cars life cycle.

I went with what they call the Hifi System Professional here. It's not Logic 7 (well it doesn't say Logic 7 and Logic 7 is offered on the 3er's here so I know it exists here). Not sure what the processing difference is or the # or location of speakers, etc... Unfortunately I have not been able to audition it. Whenever I'm at the dealer they never have a 1er with the fully upgraded audio system available. But I know I don't want the base system so I opted for the upgrade sight unseen.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
I don't think BMW will EVER have decent stereos.
Why are you here????? Do you like anything about bmw??? Congratulations, if you're gunning for the biggest troll on the forum award, you'll win by a land slide.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I've even made him call Munich in front of me, their answer is, 'there are no plans to offer the new high end system available in the 5er in the 1er'.
Thanks for the intel. That stinks. I may have to look at getting the standard audio and then upgrading it using JL Audio's Clean Sweep so I can keep the stock head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

Quote:
Why are you here????? Do you like anything about bmw??? Congratulations, if you're gunning for the biggest troll on the forum award, you'll win by a land slide.
Thats a damn good question.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

That is a very good question! Kurichan most every post you make is knocking the 135i and BMW in general. This forum is full of people that are excited about the car and discuss its strengths and weeknesses. If you are just here to poo poo on everyones fun parade please leave.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

i wish they had the studio on wheels like infiniti
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Why don't auto audiophiles just go aftermarket and be done with it?
      09-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Why don't auto audiophiles just go aftermarket and be done with it?
In the old days, that's exactly what we did.

Now it's harder because (a) manufacturers have done away with standard DIN headunits, which makes it difficult to change your audio source without mucking up the interior and (b) they've integrated the electronics to such an extent that messing with the audio system can mess with other aspects of the electronics.

Specifically, it is difficult to integrate aftermarket audio components with things like factory amps, iDrive, and factory steering wheel controls.

The cleanest solution seems to be using something like JL's Clean Sweep so you can retain the factory head unit, but even then you lose the factory volume control knob and any associated steering wheel controls.

There is money to be made, especially in the luxury market, from catering to audiophiles. Why BMW hasn't taken this approach is a true mystery to me. I would pay serious money for a genuinely fine factory audio system. It still wouldn't be as good as what I could get from the aftermarket, but the factory integration and reduced theft risk would be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I see. Guess you can tell I'm old school (and not an audiophile).
      09-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Although I appreciate a good sounding stereo, I've found that once a car is moving the background noise really intrudes and a lot of the finer detail just disappears. Better amps and speakers can help provide some quality improvements and higher volume levels, but they can't really overcome the fact that a car is a less than ideal environment for audio.

I expect a lot from my home audio systems and despite the costs I feel that it's worth it. I don't expect anywhere near the same satisfaction from a car audio system and consequently don't feel the need to invest a lot into audio upgrades for the car.

As long as the sound is not tinny and the system can generate moderate sound volumes then I'm okay. Frankly, I'm more interested in how the engine sounds. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
This forum is full of people that are excited about the car and discuss its strengths and weeknesses. If you are just here to poo poo on everyones fun parade please leave.
We're having a discussion here, not a "fun parade."

If you don't like it, you can put me on "ignore" because I'm not leaving.

If you want a circle jerk or a "fun parade," you should leave and go find one.

Your profile says you drive a POS Altima. Have you driven a BMW or listened to a BMW stereo?

So on to strengths and weaknesses: weakness: BMW stereos suck. The stereos on several rental cars I've driven were better than the premium stereos in my BMWs.

I've had enough to know, and I will have several more in the future. It's not the reason people tend to buy a BMW, but I do wish they'd improve it, especially since the cars are marketed as "premium."

I'm just not one of these:
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I express frank opinions about cars. You make personal attacks on people.

If you're gunning for king of judgemental bigots making personal attacks, you're doing pretty well yourself...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Whenever I'm at the dealer they never have a 1er with the fully upgraded audio system available. But I know I don't want the base system so I opted for the upgrade sight unseen.
When you do get a chance to preview it, carefully check how well the speakers are mounted.

Mounting seems to have been an unfortunate afterthought with BMW's premium stereos on past models. The result is the speakers or the mounts rattle. This was a serious issue with the HK premium system in the E46. The tweeters rattled like gazoos.

I speak from direct experience.

The dealer tried everything to fix it and ended up throwing in the towel. The SA literally said to my face: BMW stereos aren't that good anyway - you knew that when you bought the car... That's not why you bought the car anyway...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

The HK stereo on the E46 had great potential.... it had a lot of depth, detail and quality. But as mentioned above this really good speakers were mounted on in such a poor way that they just rattle all the time. Specially the tweeter on the driver's door (my door) rattles like crazy all the time, and the speaker is not broken or anything is just the way is mounted.

The "premium" stereo on my g/fs E90 sounds great... not HK but it doesnt rattle so hopefully it will be the same on the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feli_330i View Post
The "premium" stereo on my g/fs E90 sounds great... not HK but it doesnt rattle so hopefully it will be the same on the 1er.
:w00t::thumbup:

It sounds like BMW might have finally stepped up in this respect!

Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

True while I have not owned a BMW prior, I have ridden/driven plenty of my family members' BMWs. Additionally, of recent I have driven a 07 328i with standard audio, a 335ci with premium audio(fun to watch that hard top do its thing) and a 07 118d with standard audio. Each of them sounded strong, clean and full range. I have always gone with after-market decks in my cars but the current audio sounds good and shouldn't need to be replaced.

I am not going to ignore you or anything as I welcome all opinions trying to figure out the good and bad of the 1-series coupe, it merely seems as you tend toward the pessimistic side.

As for questions, have you driven a recent BMW? or driven at 250 km/hr on the Autobahn? (Just bragging about the Autobahn in the second one.)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #20
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post
it merely seems as you tend toward the pessimistic side.
Please think of it as brutally honest, opinionated and starkly frank. I understand that I can ruffle feathers, but I'm not one for sugar coating. I'd rather things got a little stirred up, it makes for better debate, which tends to get to the truth of the matter. I'm not adverse to admitting I'm wrong either!

Quote:
As for questions, have you driven a recent BMW? or driven at 250 km/hr on the Autobahn? (Just bragging about the Autobahn in the second one.)
Yes, but not on the Autobahn, that's for sure!

But unless the 1er is a total bust for some reason, I'll get that experience next summer when I pick up my 135i in Europe!

Isn't it sort of scary driving that fast? I don't think I've ever done over 120... Just seems like there is so much that could go wrong at 150 mph...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #21
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Please think of it as brutally honest, opinionated and starkly frank. I understand that I can ruffle feathers, but I'm not one for sugar coating. I'd rather things got a little stirred up, it makes for better debate, which tends to get to the truth of the matter. I'm not adverse to admitting I'm wrong either!

Yes, but not on the Autobahn, that's for sure!

But unless the 1er is a total bust for some reason, I'll get that experience next summer when I pick up my 135i in Europe!

Isn't it sort of scary driving that fast? I don't think I've ever done over 120... Just seems like there is so much that could go wrong at 150 mph...
It's weird to be going over a 100 on the Autobahn and get passed like you're standing still. You definitely don't sit in the left lane like people do in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 04:31 AM   #22
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I express frank opinions about cars. You make personal attacks on people.

If you're gunning for king of judgemental bigots making personal attacks, you're doing pretty well yourself...
Dude, whatever you say. People are here looking for information, not your wild generalizations and your purported knowledge of all things bmw. Someone asks for information, why not offer information and leave the "frank opinions" at the door or call those opinions up when someone actually asks for them.
Appreciate 0