BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2023, 08:27 PM   #1
hunter04
hunter04
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

Recently I came across these (non-OEM) laser lights which fit the pre-facelift X3. As far as I know, Laser lights have only been offered on the LCI X3s (correct me if I’m wrong).
I came across these on Taobao for those who are familiar with the site. I am not concerned with the site itself as I buy from there often, but my concern is with the lights themselves. Has anyone Retro-fitted similar non-oem headlights, or headlights in general and could shed some light onto whether or not these may even be worth the process?
I switched my tail lights to the LCI versions (I used OEM ones) and the process was fairly straight forward as there are some good tutorials on YouTube, but I couldn’t find any for the headlights.
I’ve attached the link to the lights as well as a screenshot.

(Yes, the site is entirely in Chinese). Laser Lights TaoBao

Edit: there are 7 reviews they say the lights are “Good”/ “Ok”, but that’s not enough to ease me totally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:04 PM   #2
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

I dunno. I think you're asking for trouble. I'm reviews, site in all Chinese...sounds like the ingredients for a shitshow.
      08-15-2023, 11:25 PM   #3
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lights look good but I’d be worried about the quality. There’s a lot that goes into designing these headlights, not sure if a taobao company can create something worthwhile
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:31 PM   #4
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
I dunno. I think you're asking for trouble. I'm reviews, site in all Chinese...sounds like the ingredients for a shitshow.
Agreed, OEMs spend a lot of money developing headlights, lots of testing, design, etc. I don’t see how an aftermarket company can have the type of budget BMW would have to do it properly, and get it to pass federal regulations, etc.

Of course, if you don’t care about lighting performance and are interested only in aesthetics, then none of what I said applies and it’s to each his own. They do look good.
      08-15-2023, 11:49 PM   #5
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter04 View Post
Recently I came across these (non-OEM) laser lights which fit the pre-facelift X3. As far as I know, Laser lights have only been offered on the LCI X3s (correct me if I’m wrong).
I came across these on Taobao for those who are familiar with the site. I am not concerned with the site itself as I buy from there often, but my concern is with the lights themselves. Has anyone Retro-fitted similar non-oem headlights, or headlights in general and could shed some light onto whether or not these may even be worth the process?
I switched my tail lights to the LCI versions (I used OEM ones) and the process was fairly straight forward as there are some good tutorials on YouTube, but I couldn’t find any for the headlights.
I’ve attached the link to the lights as well as a screenshot.

(Yes, the site is entirely in Chinese). Laser Lights TaoBao

Edit: there are 7 reviews they say the lights are “Good”/ “Ok”, but that’s not enough to ease me totally.
Laser Lights have never been available on the G01 for the US market, but have been in the ROW.

Not sure why the G01 never got them when other models got them. It's a moot point though, BMW is getting rid of the Laser Lights and going with the matrix style lights. The LCI G05 doesn't have them anymore. The only upgrade option is Full LED w/Cornering Light.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 08:59 PM   #6
hunter04
hunter04
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
Laser Lights have never been available on the G01 for the US market, but have been in the ROW.

Not sure why the G01 never got them when other models got them. It's a moot point though, BMW is getting rid of the Laser Lights and going with the matrix style lights. The LCI G05 doesn't have them anymore. The only upgrade option is Full LED w/Cornering Light.
Interesting, I haven’t known this regarding the 2024 X5s. My father’s pre LCI has the laser lights, and I see the drastic difference they make compared to the standard ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:06 PM   #7
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter04 View Post
Interesting, I haven’t known this regarding the 2024 X5s. My father’s pre LCI has the laser lights, and I see the drastic difference they make compared to the standard ones.
Yuppers, LCI G05/G06 no longer have Laser Lights. My '22 X5 has them and I definitely enjoy them in conjunction with the Anti-Dazzle enabled.
Appreciate 0