BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Ylegreg
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Don't buy it!

You will never be able to live within the speed limits!

I've been using a 120d 4 door automatic hatchback for almost 3 years now, having bought one of the very first ones (chassis nr somewhere in the lower 5000).

My car had spent almost all of his 100.000 km life somewhere between 170 km/h and flat out 230-ish. And yet I start every journey with the firm intention to stick with the limits (that would be 130 km/h on highways here in Italy). One overtake leads to another and soon I find myself well over the legal and moral limit. And the car is just incredibly happy with it. The cockpit is perfect, the auto gearbox always knows my desires and you just have to think about changing direction and it is already done...

I have tried the 130i but the diesel is decidedly more rewarding around 90% of the time (the only time you can feel the shortcomings of the auto box and the "I don't wanna rev more than 4500 rpm" diesel engine, is on twisty mountain roads). The noise though! That is an other issue. In the meantime I can't even immagine how the 123d and the 135i would behave!

The balance of the car is fantastic, you can go from mild understeer to 4 wheel slide to oversteer (all under control), in one single highway exit ramp.

I must admit that I had quite a few glitches that I would not have expected from a BMW (the car was recalled several times by BMW, and I also had some turbo pressure issues), but they were nothing to campare to the fight I had with my wife about my driving conduct.

So, to sum it up, don't buy one. I am myself looking for a big lumpy car (an Discovery 3 or maybe a Volvo estate), low on power and overweight, to save my marriage and driver's license. So it is up to you and your self control!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylegreg View Post
You will never be able to live within the speed limits!

I've been using a 120d 4 door automatic hatchback for almost 3 years now, having bought one of the very first ones (chassis nr somewhere in the lower 5000).

My car had spent almost all of his 100.000 km life somewhere between 170 km/h and flat out 230-ish. And yet I start every journey with the firm intention to stick with the limits (that would be 130 km/h on highways here in Italy). One overtake leads to another and soon I find myself well over the legal and moral limit. And the car is just incredibly happy with it. The cockpit is perfect, the auto gearbox always knows my desires and you just have to think about changing direction and it is already done...

I have tried the 130i but the diesel is decidedly more rewarding around 90% of the time (the only time you can feel the shortcomings of the auto box and the "I don't wanna rev more than 4500 rpm" diesel engine, is on twisty mountain roads). The noise though! That is an other issue. In the meantime I can't even immagine how the 123d and the 135i would behave!

The balance of the car is fantastic, you can go from mild understeer to 4 wheel slide to oversteer (all under control), in one single highway exit ramp.

I must admit that I had quite a few glitches that I would not have expected from a BMW (the car was recalled several times by BMW, and I also had some turbo pressure issues), but they were nothing to campare to the fight I had with my wife about my driving conduct.

So, to sum it up, don't buy one. I am myself looking for a big lumpy car (an Discovery 3 or maybe a Volvo estate), low on power and overweight, to save my marriage and driver's license. So it is up to you and your self control!
Thanks for sharing. That was great!

Based upon your story if I buy a 135i I'll end up in jail.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Haha, that was pretty entertaining. AW 135i, here I come.
      07-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Hewzie
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Is this what I have to look forward to then? I thought my spirited bursts up to 170km/hr were fun, but you tell me that I can go much further? And the fun-factor doesn't diminish either? And to think I bought a sedate diesel to offer a low-speed alternative to my hooligan Triumph Speed Triple. I have a feeling this BMW is going to cause me highway stress. BRING IT ON.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #5
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I love the story. Dont worry I've been married for 8 years and have had my battles too. Crazy its it. But I would never sell my car to please my wife. Not going to happen.

Good Luck... But dont sell your car, or should I say dont sell out!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
ttdmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Blk Saph/Coral Red

As long as I can't hit 150+ between stop lights, the 135i should be okay with the wife.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdamc View Post
As long as I can't hit 150+ between stop lights, the 135i should be okay with the wife.
maybe not stock....
      06-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
dale_b
England
Rep
Drives: 120d perfomance spec

i agree, my 120d just wants to go fast, they dont like poodleing, i was pulled last night on my way to pick up a take away, 80mph in a 30mph limit, it was only the fact that the copper is in to his bmws and i told the truth when he asked how fast i was going that he let me off with a slapped wrist. when i was in germany a few months ago visiting nurburg i covered 1600 miles over the weekend as we had a trip to amsterdam too the average speed over the whole weekend was 102mph, we were cruzing at 140 most the time, you dont even know your doing it, so yeah, like you say i dread to think what the 135 goes like.
      06-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
iastute
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
Thanks for sharing. That was great!

Based upon your story if I buy a 135i I'll end up in jail.
I think it's the diesel that will get you into trouble quicker...

I totally enjoy the 120d I drive daily...and all they said...you feel it like it was you telling the story!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
If you get caught rolling like that on the Superstrada by the carabinieri you definetly will have a bad day.

What part of Italy are you in?? My in-laws are in Taranto (Ginosa) waaaaay down south.