BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-25-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
VuduBlu
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW M3

Lost Physical Key - Options?

My kid has hijacked one of the two physical keys and after months of looking around the house, I've decided to buy a new one. I called the dealership near me and it will be close to $600 after programing the new one and deactivating the old one.

Can keys only be purchased from the dealer?

I know when the key comes in, I'm going to find it. Am I able to reactivate the old key and have 3 keys?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

I had to do this recently. You can save some money by ordering directly from the parts dept and doing the programming yourself. The full list price on both key parts together is under $400.

You can’t have more than 2 keys active at once and the key needs to be ordered from the dealer using your vin number.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
VuduBlu
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
I had to do this recently. You can save some money by ordering directly from the parts dept and doing the programming yourself. The full list price on both key parts together is under $400.

You can’t have more than 2 keys active at once and the key needs to be ordered from the dealer using your vin number.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered the key and it will get here in a couple of days. I'm sure I will find the lost key soon and will just hold on to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 05:36 PM   #4
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 Comp XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post

I also lost a key and I was going to go this route but I am not sure if there is conflicting information on the forums/online. Does the dealer need to deactivate the lost key before programming the second key? Or can I order the key and program it myself without the dealer doing anything?

Also, does the $400 include the key being cut?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2023 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalho2 View Post
I also lost a key and I was going to go this route but I am not sure if there is conflicting information on the forums/online. Does the dealer need to deactivate the lost key before programming the second key? Or can I order the key and program it myself without the dealer doing anything?

Also, does the $400 include the key being cut?
I don’t think the lost key has to be deactivated. Someone tried use a third key to steal a g80. The owner never said any of his keys was not working.
Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00