BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Article: BMW 130i M Sport: Thanks for the memories

Nearly 20 years ago, John Simister fell in love with BMW's M3. Now, the new M Sport is angling for a place in his heart. It's not true romance, he says, but it's close enough

Nineteen years ago, it was. Estoril racetrack in Portugal, a test day to try out Continental's tyre range. And the star of the show? BMW's original, then-new M3, a boxy little two-door saloon with a crisp-edged, manic four-cylinder engine of 2.3 litres and the sort of steering and handling that made you wonder why all cars can't feel like this.

Lap after lap I blazed round, having a fantastic time in this easiest, most forgiving and most engrossing of souped-up saloons. This is what can make rear-wheel drive so good. Some car-nuts take the view that rear-wheel drive is always better than front-wheel drive, that it's heresy to suggest otherwise. This isn't true, but that fabulous M3, with its perfect car-driver communication and complete dynamic transparency, was those car-nuts' best argument. No electronics, no rubbery interfaces, no tactile anaesthesia, just the car and you.

No M3 has been this engaging since, for all their greater power. Nor has any M3 ridden so smoothly while serving up such joy. So the idea of the BMW 130i M Sport sends instant bleeps on that old-M3 radar. The 1-series is BMW's smallest car, so it should be and agile like that first M3.

This, however, is the Noughties and not the Eighties, so naturally the new car weighs more than the old one thanks to its stronger structure and ample safety kit, which in turn means it needs more engine to do the same job. So, like the M3s that replaced the original, the 130i has a six-cylinder engine. It's actually the same unit that powers other 30i-suffixed BMWs, such as the 330i, 530i and 730i, so in a 1-series the results are likely to be spectacular - especially as it has an extra 7bhp (making 265) thanks to modifications to the intake and exhaust systems. It's a light engine, too, with a magnesium block, and it features BMW's clever Valvetronic technology, which has no throttle but instead controls engine speed by altering the amount the inlet valves open, thus regulating the engine's air supply.

Plenty of electronics there, then. But far from adding a delay to the engine's response, it makes the 3.0-litre unit almost supernaturally responsive. Its deep, straight-six burble has a lovely crispy, crunchy edge, and when you accelerate hard a valve in the rear silencer opens to release a racy howl.

You feel just what an eager machine this is the instant you move off. It's almost violent, actually. Having been pinned back in your seat after what was meant to be a gentle getaway, you then make a hash of the first-to-second gear change because the actions of both accelerator and clutch are so sudden. You get used to it before long, though, and it's quickly clear that this is a very rapid car. No compact-ish hatchback has more power, and it's delivered with a continuous, insistent push right across the engine's speed range. Overtaking is clean and confident.

How big is this push, then? Six seconds of accelerative violence will see you at 60mph, but paradoxically this is one of those cars that doesn't encourage you to extract the last drop of power, simply because you always know there's plenty left in the reservoir. You can stay in high gears and still gain speed quickly, or you can give the engine its head. The choice is yours.

But this is a fairly small car with rear-wheel drive and more power than some would deem sensible - isn't it a slithering liability if the road turns wet or bumpy? Not at all. The 130i M Sport feels firmly planted on the road, and its dynamic stability control system (DSC+) reins in any power-induced waywardness so subtly that you hardly know it's happening. This stability system even includes a hill-start assist that keeps pressure in the braking system to stop you rolling back, periodically wipes the brake pads against the discs when it's raining to remove the water film, and applies a "priming" pressure to the brake hydraulic circuit if the driver lifts suddenly off the accelerator, ready for a possible emergency stop.

The two things that deprive the 130i M Sport of the hoped-for old-M3 feeling are, oddly, two things that today's sporty-car fans could well regard as plus points. If they haven't driven an original M3, they might not mind the M Sport's over-firm, choppy ride on typical British backroads. They'll just think it confirms the M Sport's performance credentials. And they might like the steering, even though I don't. I've always found 1-series' steering to be oddly viscous, with surprising resistance when returning to the straight-ahead position.

My test 130i came with Active Steering (£925), already experienced on the the 3- and 5-series but new to the 1-series and available only with this engine. It uses an epicyclic gear system on the steering column to speed up steering response at low speeds, levelling off to normality out on the open road. It certainly makes the 130i an ultra-agile town companion, and the change in steering response with speed is more progressive than in BMW's first such systems, but it exaggerates that viscous feeling. You get used to it, but the old-M3 tactile pleasure is lacking. And now a whole generation of drivers is growing up without knowing true steering feel and the intimacy with the road that it brings.

You'll still enjoy the 130i M Sport, however, because its pace, its tautness and its immediacy make up for its shortcomings. You'd find excuses to take it for a drive, which also brings the advantage of not having to look at it. Deeper front and rear valances, hefty 18in wheels and ridges on the door sills mark this 130i out as an M Sport, but it's an ugly-looking thing, with chaotic curves up front and a side view that seems to have sagged in the sun. Inside, rear passenger space is tight and so is the boot, but it's undeniably well made and expensively trimmed. You can even get the hang of the iDrive one-knob control system if you persevere.

The 130i is not the hoped-for reprise of that original M3, then. But it is a unique experience, a Golf-sized hatchback with rear-wheel drive and a lusty straight-six engine. The world of driver-pleasing cars would be the poorer without it.

The rivals

ALFA 147 GTA, £23,205

One of the last cars to use Alfa's delicious old 3.2-litre V6, here with 250bhp sent through the front wheels only. Feels nose-heavy, sounds fabulous, looks good, getting dated now.

SUBARU IMPREZA STI, £26,995

The Impreza Turbo cult may be tired, but this latest 2.5-litre, 281bhp STI model is unbelievably good fun with its four-wheel drive and throbby flat-four engine. Firm ride.

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R32, £24,245

Four-wheel drive here, too, and a 250bhp V6 engine as tuneful as the BMW's whose accelerative abruptness and ride firmness it also matches. Test next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
shinobi2
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Very nice read thanks. This is my favorite line "You feel just what an eager machine this is the instant you move off. It's almost violent, actually. Having been pinned back in your seat after what was meant to be a gentle getaway, you then make a hash of the first-to-second gear change because the actions of both accelerator and clutch are so sudden. You get used to it before long, though, and it's quickly clear that this is a very rapid car. No compact-ish hatchback has more power, and it's delivered with a continuous, insistent push right across the engine's speed range. Overtaking is clean and confident."

Sounds like we'll never see a car like the E30 M3 again from BMW because technology precludes it, but doesn't mean BMW can't make super fun, small fast cars like the 1 series!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Dundee90
Registered
Rep
Drives:

If BMW builds the 1er coupe and make an ///M version of that, that will probably be as close to an E30 M3 you will see and experience in current day. Plus I love how that would look (see pics in photo forum). :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
coupefanatic
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Ahhh E30 M3, brings back memories. Friend had one and that was as pure a BMW sports car as I've been in to this day
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I've got ONE!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
After only two weks with the baby, this is what my smile is like!
This thing is a treat.
Still running in but it just wants too be revvvvvvvvved.
Difficult keeping below 4000, but good things come to those who are patient!

The GF has a copper S and I use to luv driving the zippy beast, but now it is chalk and cheese.
Got too luv the 130 :biggrin:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #6
mickhoog
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Awesome looking. You must love it. I am thinking of white, but then again... the black looks hot too!

Cheers
MH.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I think the article is more than a little harsh about the 130i's looks. The current model may not set the world ablaze, but it does look purposeful and I find the lines to be quite clean. With a half inch off the suspension and nice wheels, it has rally car looks to rival a WRX. Blacky's is a really nice example - the car looks great in black. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

The proportions of the 3-door seem a little more balanced and my hopes are very high for the coupe/sedan based on spyshots and renderings. But, based on what I've seen, if I could buy any of the variations here in Canada, I can't think of another car that would bump it from the top of my list...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think the 1 series actually has one of the best looks of any car in the BMW lineup right now. THe only thing I dislike about the 1-series are the headlight shapes (which I agree goes a LONG way in car design), they are way too big for the car, and give a very 'frightened' look to the car. With a better set of headlamps (like something on the e90 or the facelift e46) I think the car would be perfect..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I've never seen a 1-er in person...but I've been an absolutely huge fan of the car.
The 1-er 3 door looks like the perfect car to kick-off BMW's plans to finally bring small sporty cars to the U.S.
Appreciate 0