BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Glovebox hard to open - X1 F48

07-04-2023, 08:57 AM   #1
iamshakti
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 | 320i E90

Glovebox hard to open - X1 F48

Hey Guys, new to this forum as a member but this site has been a godsend to me with anything I needed help with!

Anyway struggling with my glovebox, it feels like I'm about to break the handle every time I try and open the glovebox. The mechanism feels sticky and I have the variant with the key lock.

Do you think it safe to try and sort it with WD40? or has anyone else come across this issue and found a fix?

Thanks in advance,
Shak
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamshakti View Post
Hey Guys, new to this forum as a member but this site has been a godsend to me with anything I needed help with!

Anyway struggling with my glovebox, it feels like I'm about to break the handle every time I try and open the glovebox. The mechanism feels sticky and I have the variant with the key lock.

Do you think it safe to try and sort it with WD40? or has anyone else come across this issue and found a fix?

Thanks in advance,
Shak
What about take it out and inspect it? It's one trim, two bolts under en then 6 or 8 screws and the whole unit comes out. Takes max 10 minutes to get it out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 01:54 PM   #3
iamshakti
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your reply, I have and the issue seems to be in the latching mechanism itself

The bumpy part

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
What about take it out and inspect it? It's one trim, two bolts under en then 6 or 8 screws and the whole unit comes out. Takes max 10 minutes to get it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
iamshakti
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamshakti View Post
Thanks for your reply, I have and the issue seems to be in the latching mechanism itself

The bumpy part

This is not my car BTW lol
Appreciate 0