BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #1
brewer79
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30 M Sport Package

HUD Issue with Uneven Surface

In March of this year I purchased a CPO 2021 X3 xDrive30 with the M Sport package. It was a steal because it was a fleet vehicle for BMW HQ which is 5 minutes from where I live. However I digress...

I noticed that when I set my heads up display to show the uneven surface message, it always reverts back to "Instrument Cluster". It doesn't matter how often I set it, when I set it, after a few minutes it just goes back to "Instrument Cluster".

It's not a huge deal, I called the Genius line and they were useless. They kept intimating that there's too much information for the display and that's probably why it goes back." I think it's just a glitch in the software, but I was wondering if anyone else had the problem or if it's just me....because sometimes it usually is lol
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #2
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
Got to ask… I’m about 15 min away from the factory. I’m looking for a used/CPO X5. I’ve got some friends who work/ed for BMW and told me about the lease program for employees. It sounds like those cars are very well maintained and kept. Is there a specific place to go to look for the ones coming off of that?

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:41 PM   #3
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer79 View Post
In March of this year I purchased a CPO 2021 X3 xDrive30 with the M Sport package. It was a steal because it was a fleet vehicle for BMW HQ which is 5 minutes from where I live. However I digress...

I noticed that when I set my heads up display to show the uneven surface message, it always reverts back to "Instrument Cluster". It doesn't matter how often I set it, when I set it, after a few minutes it just goes back to "Instrument Cluster".

It's not a huge deal, I called the Genius line and they were useless. They kept intimating that there's too much information for the display and that's probably why it goes back." I think it's just a glitch in the software, but I was wondering if anyone else had the problem or if it's just me....because sometimes it usually is lol
Maybe it needs an update at the dealership or sth. On my 2020, it doesn't revert.
Alternatively, I'd make sure you're starting up to the correct profile as those settings are linked to profiles.
      05-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #4
brewer79
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
Got to ask… I’m about 15 min away from the factory. I’m looking for a used/CPO X5. I’ve got some friends who work/ed for BMW and told me about the lease program for employees. It sounds like those cars are very well maintained and kept. Is there a specific place to go to look for the ones coming off of that?
So I'm about 10 minutes from North America HQ, I don't think they have a service center in there. I was looking one day on Carfax and mine caught my eye right away because it was such a different contrast from my old one. I looked at the previous owner and it was only 1, it showed BMW Woodcliff Lake. It was just kind of a fluke that I found it, but I knew that given where it's been for two years, it was in more than excellent shape. Just make sure to check the history and see if maybe you run into one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
brewer79
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Maybe it needs an update at the dealership or sth. On my 2020, it doesn't revert.
Alternatively, I'd make sure you're starting up to the correct profile as those settings are linked to profiles.
I'm the only one that drives it so I know it always has my profile up. I called the dealer and asked about an update and they said everything was fine when it was taken for delivery. They were more than nice to have me come back and check, but they were 1000% sure it wasn't that. It's just hard to believe getting an answer from Genius line that "maybe there's too much information to be shown." Have you seen some of the exit signs they project onto the thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

I've got the same car and I do not have that issue. Also what info do you have in your HUD that would allow them to play the "too much" card?!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #7
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Had this issue in my '21 X3. Car was built in Sept '20 is as I recall the software from the factory was 7/20. Repeatedly had my setting revert from HUD to instrument panel but after a software update due to a recall it is no longer an issue. Can't recall when the software update occurred but I'll check my version date when I'm back in the car. At that time I was not receiving warnings about uneven surfaces but my issue was the warning for speed cameras. Ultimately both are "road condition" (or what ever BMW calls them) warnings/updates.
Appreciate 1