E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2008 335 xi help with wheels

01-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
yurasmoldovi
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Angry 2008 335 xi help with wheels

I hope someone can help me with my cituation.I bent my rim due to those garbage tire ,meaning run flats and now my car vibrates .So i took to bimmerworks in West Chester Pa for those people who know the place.Steve the owner recomended me to get Breyton gts from tirerack and put a litlle biger tire ,to close the gap up since my car is not dropped.But i know i read the post about that dude having problems with his xi due to oversize tire ,bmw dealer said that it almost blow his transfer box up .So i hope some people have sugetions about whetheir i should get just a stock rim which i hate the look of or if i can get rims and not worry about it.

Last edited by yurasmoldovi; 01-12-2009 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: tittle description
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

Well first off, a bigger rim will not close up the gap because the overall diameter of any wheel/tire combo must be consistent with OEM sizes. Otherwise your speedo/ABS/xDrive/etc. will no longer be accurate or function correctly.

The issue for any AWD system is when the front and rear tire diameters are too varied. It puts strain on the center differential because the average RPMs of the front vs. rears have too large a discrepancy. Plus sizing wheels is no issue for xi vehicles. However, you have to ensure that you get the right tire sizes to maintain the correct diameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurasmoldovi View Post
I hope someone can help me with my cituation.I bent my rim due to those garbage tire ,meaning run flats and now my car vibrates .So i took to bimmerworks in West Chester Pa for those people who know the place.Steve the owner recomended me to get Breyton gts from tirerack and put a litlle biger tire ,to close the gap up since my car is not dropped.But i know i read the post about that dude having problems with his xi due to oversize tire ,bmw dealer said that it almost blow his transfer box up .So i hope some people have sugetions about whetheir i should get just a stock rim which i hate the look of or if i can get rims and not worry about it.
      01-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

I think the guy said specifically a bigger tire. The spedometer will be slightly off, unless you get it recalibrated. Are the fronts and backs going to have the same size tires? There is question to whether a staggered setup with slightly different diameters causes an issue, but BMW itself sold the setup with the sports package.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
I think the guy said specifically a bigger tire. The spedometer will be slightly off, unless you get it recalibrated. Are the fronts and backs going to have the same size tires? There is question to whether a staggered setup with slightly different diameters causes an issue, but BMW itself sold the setup with the sports package.
The staggerred setup sold by BMW does have matching front and rear diameters - the width is the only thing that is different.

There are tons of threads on this, but the basic concept is to keep the rolling diameter equal front to rear. I personally think you can fit taller tires to fill the gap as long as you maintain the concept front to rear. The rear will be your limiting factor on the XI. My summer tires are 235/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
yurasmoldovi
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

the tires both will be same back and front, so you think if i do 19 icnh rims don't do a staggerred setup and do oem tire diamenter i will be ok
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurasmoldovi View Post
the tires both will be same back and front, so you think if i do 19 icnh rims don't do a staggerred setup and do oem tire diamenter i will be ok
Sounds like you still don't understand the point. I'll clear it up for you.

You can do a staggered setup if you'd like. The definition of a staggered setup has to do with the WIDTH of the tire; it has nothing to do with the diameter of the tire+wheel. It can be 9.5 inches wide at the rear and 7 inches wide at the front. It doesn't matter. The STANDARD that most people follow (aftermarket) is 8.5" (front) and 9.5" (back) for 19".

Now, when it comes to DIAMETER, the wheels/tires have to be the same size. Therefore, the thickness of the tire is reduced on 19" wheels. The speedometer of our cars are calibrated to wheels/tires that are approximately 25" in diameter; that is the lowest part of the wheel to the highest point. If you start messing with the overall diameter of the wheel/tire ratio, the speedometer will be off (+/- few mph). Other than the speedometer being inaccurate, I don't think any problems will occur (then again, I'm not sure about that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Aftermarket and OEM wheel/tires usually have a standard size of 17", 18", and 19":

225/45/17
225/40/18(F) - 255/35/18(R)
235/35/19(F) - 265/30/19(R)

Again. The width of the tires may vary, but it is irrelevant to the xi. Use the calculator in the Wheel And Tires Forum provided at the top of the screen. You can measure the differences there. There is a general "rule of thumb" that is followed: the difference between the front and the rear of the wheel/tire should NOT be more than 1%.

Oh, and with out spring/shocks or coilovers, you won't be getting ride of the wheel gap. You go the xi for a reason. Live with it or mod it.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Live with it or mod it.
amen...

I put 25k miles a year on my KW V3 and they are silky smooth, worth every $
      01-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

You'll be even more likely to bend your new rims if you're considering 19". The runflats should do a better job at protecting your rim than non-runflats. BTW, the larger the rim, the shorter the tire, and it will give the illusion that the gap looks even bigger than before, unless you go with a tire that has a larger diameter than stock. Be careful of possible rubbing issues if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
do you have the wheel upgrade 8's in the frt. 8.5 rear.
you can buy just 1 to replace the bent wheel or replace all 4
your call on that. there is a great place in
PA to buy just one. http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccsvcs.html
what style do you have on your car OEM?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Sounds like you still don't understand the point. I'll clear it up for you.

You can do a staggered setup if you'd like. The definition of a staggered setup has to do with the WIDTH of the tire; it has nothing to do with the diameter of the tire+wheel. It can be 9.5 inches wide at the rear and 7 inches wide at the front. It doesn't matter. The STANDARD that most people follow (aftermarket) is 8.5" (front) and 9.5" (back) for 19".

Now, when it comes to DIAMETER, the wheels/tires have to be the same size. Therefore, the thickness of the tire is reduced on 19" wheels. The speedometer of our cars are calibrated to wheels/tires that are approximately 25" in diameter; that is the lowest part of the wheel to the highest point. If you start messing with the overall diameter of the wheel/tire ratio, the speedometer will be off (+/- few mph). Other than the speedometer being inaccurate, I don't think any problems will occur (then again, I'm not sure about that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Aftermarket and OEM wheel/tires usually have a standard size of 17", 18", and 19":

225/45/17
225/40/18(F) - 255/35/18(R)
235/35/19(F) - 265/30/19(R)

Again. The width of the tires may vary, but it is irrelevant to the xi. Use the calculator in the Wheel And Tires Forum provided at the top of the screen. You can measure the differences there. There is a general "rule of thumb" that is followed: the difference between the front and the rear of the wheel/tire should NOT be more than 1%.

Oh, and with out spring/shocks or coilovers, you won't be getting ride of the wheel gap. You go the xi for a reason. Live with it or mod it.
Very helpful..thanks. There are so many threads debating this topic.
      01-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

All of the above is true. What I think the OP wants to do is run taller sidewalls while still maintaining the matching diameters. I believe this is possible. The biggest concern will be clearance in the rear. I am running 275/30/19 in the back and the clearance looks great on the stock suspension - 2 fingers clear. The front however still has a large gap with 235/35/19's. If the gap is your main concern, I would definately modify the suspension as you will always end up with an uneven gap regardless of the tire configuration, with the stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
GoodTimes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I can only speak for myself but I'm running Michilen Pilot Sport 2's

Tire size:
295/25/20 Rear
245/30/20 Fronts (I think)

Rolling diameter on front and back is 25.8"

No rubbing and about a finger and a half of gap.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Are you in any type of money crunch? I guess saving money is not always a bad thing.

I would suggest you go 18x8.5" all around with non-rft 235/40/18's and call it a day. You save money on tires, you can rotate, it doesn't throw your speedo nor odo off.

I personally wouldn't recommend going with a taller side wall just because it would most likely rub during compression and could throw off other sensors on your vehicle, such as abs. Not to mention driving a full cabin of people over large bumps and driveways.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com