BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Need recommendations for ceramic coating and ppf

11-13-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
M550iWoW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M550i

Garage List
Hello all I'm about to have my new car delivered hopefully sometime this week down here in Miami. I need to find some local pros that you have used and are satisfied with to get this done. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #2
MAM550
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix

Garage List
2018 BMW M550  [9.25]
2018 G30  [0.00]
They'r a little farther north, but Big Shot Rides in Coconut Creek is our go to place for PPF ceramic and mods. Chris and his crew are a pleasure to deal with and the work is always top notch.
Appreciate 1
M550iWoW152.00
      11-16-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
M550iWoW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAM550 View Post
They'r a little farther north, but Big Shot Rides in Coconut Creek is our go to place for PPF ceramic and mods. Chris and his crew are a pleasure to deal with and the work is always top notch.
Thanks, I will check them out. I work in Margate so it's pretty close to where I work. So that's a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 02:36 AM   #4
EC530i
NCBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i XDrive

Hello M550iWoW,
I recently read an article on PPF and it gave a few pros and cons. Two of the cons that made me take notice was discussion of the effects of the environmental elements (ie: heat) and the adhesive on the PPF. The article mentioned that eventually (no time frame given) that the PPF would begin to crack. Additionally, the article mentioned that the adhesive would eat into the clear coat. Of course, once this occurs, then a paint job was necessary. I've strongly considered having PPF applied to my other car, but after talking with a custom SEMA car builder guy and reading this article, I decided not to have PPF applied. I have a background in chemistry and understand the principles discussed, but I don't have any experience in using PPF. I'm a bit on the fence whether it's safe in the long run. However, I know how much paint damage can occur from road debris. The way people drive where I live, you almost need a "force field" to protect your ride!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCR View Post
Hello M550iWoW,
I recently read an article on PPF and it gave a few pros and cons. Two of the cons that made me take notice was discussion of the effects of the environmental elements (ie: heat) and the adhesive on the PPF. The article mentioned that eventually (no time frame given) that the PPF would begin to crack. Additionally, the article mentioned that the adhesive would eat into the clear coat. Of course, once this occurs, then a paint job was necessary. I've strongly considered having PPF applied to my other car, but after talking with a custom SEMA car builder guy and reading this article, I decided not to have PPF applied. I have a background in chemistry and understand the principles discussed, but I don't have any experience in using PPF. I'm a bit on the fence whether it's safe in the long run. However, I know how much paint damage can occur from road debris. The way people drive where I live, you almost need a "force field" to protect your ride!
I recently removed the PPF on my E39 BMW that was on the car for about 17 years. Yes, it was starting to crack at around year 13 or 14, and looked pretty terrible, but the paint was fine underneath. Products now are even better, but eventually they will yellow and crack, but it probably takes longer for that to happen with newer products like Xpel.

There are some drawbacks. One, if the rock impact is hard enough, it will crack the paint below, and when you remove the film, it will lift a spot of clear and possibly the paint as well. But a hit that hard would have removed paint anyway. Also, depending on the car, sometimes during removal, the film can cause portions of clear to come up. I have seen this a few times with Ferraris.
Appreciate 0