BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

12-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Little annoying tiny orange speckles... what are they?

Wash the M after a few weeks of brutal winter abuse and she came out looking great with no real damage or chips. It's only 2 months old and I want to keep it well through the winter. High hopes? Anyhow, I notice about 100 little tiny orange tenacious speckles that took some work with bug & tar remover. They came out, but dayem! Anybody know what they are? Will the bug and tar remove the wax coating? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Thumbs up Fallout

Its called "Enviromental Fallout" otherwise known as railhead dust, iron and metallic particles from brake dust and industries that have a chance to settle and bond to the surfaces of your car. Most frequently found on the top surfaces, rear bumper and the hatch or vertical parts of the trunk of the vehicle. The dew and moisture that settles on the vehicle causes these metallic particles to rust and bond to the surfaces. If a vehicle is regularly washed and detailed this fallout will be minimized almost completely.

Read my FAQ's page at www.innovativedetailing.com

It will explain the cause and the solution for this contagious condition that must be maintained otherwise it can cause irreversable damage to your clear coat if left untreated.

If you look at the services that Innovative Detailing provides you will see that every detail that we perform includes a thorough pre cleaning using our clay bar method to remove any above surface contaminants. Thus leaving the surface smooth and clear for the following steps.

Hope this was helpful.

Happy New Year

Innovative Detailing

***One thing to remember that after this fallout has been treated, you "MUST"wash your vehicle on regular weekly basis. Otherwise fallout is like cancer and it can and will return.

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 12-28-2008 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Additional text
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Do you park near railroad tracks? If so, it's rail dust.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
COR Photographer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

get those little things all the time
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Thanks for the replies and the assistance. I did a clay bar treatment and Klasse protection x 2, and a wax on top of that (a week after the Klasse SG) to remove any rail dust from the original transportation of the car. Currently I live no where near railroad tracks... however I do work and park some 400 yards from a railroad. I park on the opposite side of the building as to not expose myself to the track. Could that be it? David is right on with the settlement areas, except top of the car. For me, it is at rear of the car, inverted surfaces, mostly lower extremities -- rocker and rear. Front is pretty clean. More likely to be brake dust in my case based on the settlement areas. You guys are gonna hate this, but my fingernail works best to remove these. Very gently though! (David, is this ok? I don't see any swirl or scuff.) Probably the wax and Klasse SG making it much easier to remove. Oh and BTW, like David mentioned, if you leave them on, they become permanent! It's really hard to get them all, so it's gonna be constant maintenance.
Appreciate 0