BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
R2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

front only springs?

Gentlemen,

On my previous car I was able to install front aftermarket lowering springs, without the need for rears (car sat high on the front, rears were fine) This worked fine the adjustable suspension the car had. Since my M sits higher in front could I accomplish the same thing here? Would it wreak havoc with the EDC? Just curious is all. BTW I have found no mention of this set up in previous threads.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2M3 View Post
BTW I have found no mention of this set up in previous threads.
Thanks!
... that's because that's not a suspension set up as such so far in the market place, it is a full front and rear set up and that's it. Lowering springs are designed to function as a set under certain criteria of handling and even safety. Once you start installing only half of that set that criteria will be out of the door, so you will not know how that will affect handling until forced to find out.

That's a lot of risk just to look good.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Very well said. The front spring sets are for cars like the E60 or X5 with self leveling rear suspension only. Since the M3 has electronically adjustable shocks all around, it is best to upgrade them as a set.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
R2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... that's because that's not a suspension set up as such so far in the market place, it is a full front and rear set up and that's it. Lowering springs are designed to function as a set under certain criteria of handling and even safety. Once you start installing only half of that set that criteria will be out of the door, so you will not know how that will affect handling until forced to find out.

That's a lot of risk just to look good.
I thought this might be the case! Thanks, Gerry
Appreciate 0