BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-02-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Neighbor took his 2018 M3 into the dealership I purchased my 2022 M4 from for an oil change. Also have my scheduled break in service in a week same dealership.

Well he got his car home and it literally started leaking oil. Can't tell where it's coming from but the engine and engine bay are covered in oil. Even got on the barrel of the wheels. Since it didn't start leaking until he got home I don't think there is engine damage from no oil, but the car is a mess. Needs a detail cleaning and find out what happen. Got home after dealership closed so won't know what they plan on doing about it. Will also need to be towed.

Question, should I cancel my appointment and go to another dealership? If they can't do a simple oil change kinda worries me……
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      08-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No concerns?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #3
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Well if you do go to that dealership bring this experience up and demand that whoever did his oil change does not do yours.
      08-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Well if you do go to that dealership bring this experience up and demand that whoever did his oil change does not do yours.
They just picked up his car. Told him it would look like new when they are done with it. Left a loner. Let's see how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

You can find equivalent horror stories across every single dealership regardless of make. Same applies to indy/performance shops. It's just the nature of the car business overall with the qualifications of the people in their roles and the incentive to move cars out as fast as possible.

It all comes down to how they respond and rectify the situation. You can go elsewhere if it makes you more comfortable, but no shop has a perfect record with zero fuckups.
Appreciate 3
      08-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former-Mopar View Post
They just picked up his car. Told him it would look like new when they are done with it. Left a loner. Let's see how it turns out.
Keep us posted... sounds like a big f**kup what a mess.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 04:26 PM   #7
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
You can find equivalent horror stories across every single dealership regardless of make. Same applies to indy/performance shops. It's just the nature of the car business overall with the qualifications of the people in their roles and the incentive to move cars out as fast as possible.

It all comes down to how they respond and rectify the situation. You can go elsewhere if it makes you more comfortable, but no shop has a perfect record with zero fuckups.
+1. Oil changes, routine maintenance, and brake jobs get assigned to "low man on the totem pole" so that more qualified and conscientious technicians can focus on diagnostics and more complex repairs. I wouldn't be surprised if the rookie technician simply didn't properly screw on the oil filler cap.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2022, 08:52 PM   #8
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer told him it was a faulty oil filter seal. Must have had a crack in it and with the oil pressure gave out. I think they must have righted the filter cap to tight.

Coming out to pressure wash his drive and remove as much oil as the can. Plus of course detail the entire car. Should be back in two days. Can't wait to see it.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      08-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I've been in for service a few times, since I took delivery, and what I have noticed is, if I bring anything else up, besides getting the oil changed, the work gets done by an actual tech, including the oil change.

I thought I had a faint smell of coolant, after driving it really hard, and of course they weren't going to go the speeds that I drove to recreate the smell, so, I asked them to just look for dried coolant around hoses.

Is it a cheat code to get a tech to do the oil change, who knows? But the 3 times that I've had it in for service, it's only gone to someone M certified.

Appreciate 2
      08-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Dealer told him it was a faulty oil filter seal. Must have had a crack in it and with the oil pressure gave out. I think they must have righted the filter cap to tight.

Coming out to pressure wash his drive and remove as much oil as the can. Plus of course detail the entire car. Should be back in two days. Can't wait to see it.
Sounds like they over tightened it and broke the seal.
      08-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #11
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Quote:

Sounds like they over tightened it and broke the seal.
Agree. They ended up doing a good job making it up and cleaning the car.
Appreciate 2
beden1511.00
M4Tejas788.00