F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Screen upgrade idrive problems
ARMA SPEED

07-20-2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Catalin Alexandru
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d X

Hello all,
I have a 2016 F31 LCI with the Magneti Marelli ENTRYNAV unit (so no navi), and obviously a 6,5 inch screen + a BimmerTech MMI Prime.
Tried twice to upgrade to the bigger 8,8 inch screen, (two newer LCI models with two coding experts), but with partial success.
The screens were working fine but the iDrive had issues related to late start/ boot. With the first screen some minutes or total death until the off of the car's systems , and with the second one a 20-30 seconds delay after ignition.
When switching to the original 6,5 inch screen all works fine. BMW logo shows up instantly.

Between the the upgrade attempts I also made a general car update to the dealer.

Seems that the 8,8 inch screen resolution is to much for the small ENTRYNAV processor and it takes longer to boot.

Do you have any idea about this issue? I would love to have the bigger screen together with the MMI functions.

Thank you!
Catalin
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin Alexandru View Post
Hello all,
I have a 2016 F31 LCI with the Magneti Marelli ENTRYNAV unit (so no navi), and obviously a 6,5 inch screen + a BimmerTech MMI Prime.
Tried twice to upgrade to the bigger 8,8 inch screen, (two newer LCI models with two coding experts), but with partial success.
The screens were working fine but the iDrive had issues related to late start/ boot. With the first screen some minutes or total death until the off of the car's systems , and with the second one a 20-30 seconds delay after ignition.
When switching to the original 6,5 inch screen all works fine. BMW logo shows up instantly.

Between the the upgrade attempts I also made a general car update to the dealer.

Seems that the 8,8 inch screen resolution is to much for the small ENTRYNAV processor and it takes longer to boot.

Do you have any idea about this issue? I would love to have the bigger screen together with the MMI functions.

Thank you!
Catalin
You can't use an LCI screen on Entrynav since that type of HU only supports APIX1.

Only way around this would be to replace it with a 8.8" NBT screen.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
Catalin Alexandru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you!
Catalin
You can't use an LCI screen on Entrynav since that type of HU only supports APIX1.

Thank you, Steve. I hope this will resolve the iDrive booting time/ provisory death. I will try with a non LCI display and return here with news.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:19 AM   #4
Catalin Alexandru
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you!
Catalin

Thank you, Steve. I hope this will resolve the iDrive booting time/ provisory death. I will try with a non LCI display and return here with news.
I've put a non LCI screen and everything is working fine. I've also code it with the MMI box installed.
The only annoying this is the low brightness but I will get use with it.
I don't think the day Brightness adjustment will work on the ENTRYNAV, if coded. With the LCI screen didn't work and with this screen I didn't tried yet.
Appreciate 0