Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > To stagger or not? A definitive answer?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

To stagger or not? A definitive answer?

Ive searched and see lotas of threads on it but theere seems to be no real clear cut answer?

I have an 06 330i sport pack with the stagger setup.

What I worry about is wearing out tires in a bad way and not beaing able to rotate them. My fronts always wear out faster than the rears on any vehicle i drive. It sems that I will go broke on tires if I stagger, even though Id like to leave it in the factory configuration.

Also whats the deal with 19's? The tires are SO much more expensive compared to the factory 18.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
Ive searched and see lotas of threads on it but theere seems to be no real clear cut answer?

I have an 06 330i sport pack with the stagger setup.

What I worry about is wearing out tires in a bad way and not beaing able to rotate them. My fronts always wear out faster than the rears on any vehicle i drive. It sems that I will go broke on tires if I stagger, even though Id like to leave it in the factory configuration.

Also whats the deal with 19's? The tires are SO much more expensive compared to the factory 18.
The car is designed to have a stagger set up. Look at how wide the rear fenders flare. Running non-staggered wheels leaves a huge (ugly IMO) gap between the face of the wheel and the body of the car.

Tires are generally <$200 each anyways for 18's as long as you don't get RFT so what's the big deal? It's not like your changing them every year are you?
      12-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
On a 330i your fronts should by no means wear out faster than the rear. If they do, please post photos, because with a RWD vehicle, that would be amazing.

That being said, the stagger should be kept unless you are a frequent track goer and want a square setup...but, if you were a frequent track goer, you would probably have a track set anyways, so this probably doesnt apply to you.

You cannot rotate tires on a staggered setup, so thats out of the question, but tires for 19s are not necessarily infinitely more expensive than for 18s...There are many great options for tires in 19" sizes that wont break the bank and will provide fantastic grip and handling. In 19" you can try Falken 452, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, Nitto Invo, or if you want to spend a bit more, Michelin Pilot PS2, Goodyear F1 Assym...or if you want to go to the track and/or love driving with ridiculously fantastic tires all the time (except in the rain...) you can go with Bridgestone RE01-R (or soon to be RE11), Dunlop Direzza Star Spec...

There are multiple different price levels for tires in 19" size, but any of the choices I listed here will do fantastic. The falkens and the vredesteins will perform very similarly to the michelin ps2's and the goodyear f1 assyms (and some would prefer the falkens and vredesteins over those two), but are notably cheaper. It's really your pick...but the short answer to your question:

-Leave the stagger, unless this is your dedicated track set of tires
      12-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
BlkSapphire
Private
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
On a 330i your fronts should by no means wear out faster than the rear.
Yeah, makes you wonder if maybe the car doesn't need an align. Bad alignment will wear tires fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
On a 330i your fronts should by no means wear out faster than the rear. If they do, please post photos, because with a RWD vehicle, that would be amazing.
That's not necessarily true. The fronts on my MB E-Class wore out faster than my rears. However I did drop the car by 1.5" and did a +2 upgrade to the wheels...

Front tires are the steering tires and generally wear out faster than rears (so I have been told) unless you like to lay down a lot of tracks from stoplight to stoplight.
      12-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Unless you are doing burnouts constantly, front tires always wear faster than the rear. They perform all the steering and take on 80% of the brake load.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
**I guess I'm ripping off the line too much
      12-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Unless you are doing burnouts constantly, front tires always wear faster than the rear. They perform all the steering and take on 80% of the brake load.
I rarely burnt out, and my rears always wear faster. And why wouldn't they? The power is being put down in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
I rarely burnt out, and my rears always wear faster. And why wouldn't they? The power is being put down in the rear.
Agreed...

we dont have a FWD vehicle
RWD=rears burn out faster than fronts... (by a significant margin)
      12-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
fronts will wear on the edges much more rapidly then a rear tire generally with these cars. I am currently not running a staggered setup right now for this exact reason, just running spacers in the rear will give the staggered look while still allowing for rotations
Appreciate 0