E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Intake air temperature sensor differences?

06-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Intake air temperature sensor differences?

I refuse to believe I'm the only person who has noticed differences in the pictures of this part on any of the popular websites (fcp, ra, ecs, etc). What I am referring to is how I have the version with the plastic end which is kinda cheap looking, and I've seen a version which is almost exactly the same yet with a solid metal tip. For example on rauto I just looked and that is the VNE brand which looks different.

Anyway I'm not too curious about the differences, just want to know if anyone happened to purchase the metal tip sensor I am speaking of, and if it works the same if not better than the other plastic one.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
awenthol
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 335d

I would NOT run an IAT that is metal-tipped. Granted, a diesel is not as sensitive to IAT variations, as a gasser, but you want that sensor to respond as quickly as possible to temperature changes. A metal part will lag significantly more than plastic/ceramic (possible to run plastic, but likely ceramic).
Appreciate 1
T-Dubbs151.00
      06-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
I would NOT run an IAT that is metal-tipped. Granted, a diesel is not as sensitive to IAT variations, as a gasser, but you want that sensor to respond as quickly as possible to temperature changes. A metal part will lag significantly more than plastic/ceramic (possible to run plastic, but likely ceramic).
Well that makes the choice pretty easy considering the metal version is more expensive
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
Perhaps reason for plastic is that it is a better thermal isolator than metal as it has a lower thermal conductivity (k). Conduction heat transfer is computed using Q=(kA/L)(Tgas-Tsurface). The smaller (kA/L) is, the less heat is leaked out to the charge pipe structure. Since 335d pipe is aluminum, i'm presuming the pipe surface temp ain't much cooler that the gas flow. Only thing would sway this is a much cooler strong airflow on the OD of the charge pipe. Yes, heat transfer is my gig.

I bought a used charge pipe out of salvage yard several years ago to have a spare. I was thinking to have a bung welded on to it for a meth injector. When I attempted to remove the IAT, i broke the plastic on accident. I'm curious if the metal one is more durable for removal/reinstall. My original charge pipe remains in place with the IAT never touched. When i pull the charge pipe for maintenance, I leave the IAT connected and just lay it to the side. I don't want to break another one.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 06-15-2022 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I went and poked around a bit and found a metal tipped one for WAY LESS.
FCP euro $86.49, plastic
BMWdirect parts, $73.63, this is a Nebraska dealer, plastic
Germanautosupply, $33.98, metal sensor tip.

I looked at the picture and the plastic body part that clips into the charge pipe aspect is still there. The gas flow is going to dominate the heat transfer in my opinion and metal sensor body should matter very little. I agree going with OE style is likely best to not run into SNAFUs electrically. Here is a picture of what I see at germanautosupply.com

EDIT: I changed my mind after looking at OE style plastic tip. The actual sensor tip (black tip) is sort of enclosed by other non sensor plastic (white cage). Those guys did this for a reason and the metal one is way different.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 06-15-2022 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 02:48 AM   #6
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I went and poked around a bit and found a metal tipped one for WAY LESS.
FCP euro $86.49, plastic
BMWdirect parts, $73.63, this is a Nebraska dealer, plastic
Germanautosupply, $33.98, metal sensor tip.

I looked at the picture and the plastic body part that clips into the charge pipe aspect is still there. The gas flow is going to dominate the heat transfer in my opinion and metal sensor body should matter very little. I agree going with OE style is likely best to not run into SNAFUs electrically. Here is a picture of what I see at germanautosupply.com

EDIT: I changed my mind after looking at OE style plastic tip. The actual sensor tip (black tip) is sort of enclosed by other non sensor plastic (white cage). Those guys did this for a reason and the metal one is way different.
Yes that is exactly why I hesitated and had to ask someone here.. I felt like the metal one would be so much easier to deal with as I faintly remember mine getting kinda crunched last time I took it off. But it's cheaper so I'll just remember to be extra careful with it.
Appreciate 0