E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 slide whistle noise, possible turbo failure?

05-31-2022, 01:08 AM   #1
brokeboibeam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Question N54 slide whistle noise, possible turbo failure?

Video here, noise can be heard at the beginning, 0:15, and 0:24: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IMU...w?usp=drivesdk

Car is a 2007 E92 335i. Recently had my old turbos replaced with Vargas OEM turbos w/billet wheel along with their PCV valve and VRSF stock location 1.75" inlets. Everything was good for ~350 miles on the MHD stg 2+ 91 oct map but after a pull I noticed some odd noise on acceleration. I think it's turbo related because the noise isn't tied to rpm but it only happens when there's boost (checked with MHD live monitoring). What strikes me as odd is that this noise isn't the usual siren/howl, it sounds like a slide whistle.

I tried to find information on this and saw that a collapsed oil filter could cause some noise so I checked that out but it was fine. I thought it was loose inlets but they feel pretty snug and are seated well. Today I took the downpipes off and checked for shaft play and turbine damage and there wasn't any.

Other than the noise, there aren't any other symptoms that would indicate turbo failure. The car still drives and builds boost as it did before the noise started and I don't smell anything besides the usual kittyless smell or see any smoke from the exhaust. Is there anything else that I should check for? If needed, I can get some logs once I get the downpipes back in.
Appreciate 0