Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New 330i owner with questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

New 330i owner with questions

Hey Guys - I will be picking up my new 330i next wed.
Its a 2006 with the sport package.

I have a couple questions for you, as this is my first bmw and I am what you might call a "muscle car" convert.

I am puzzled at the factory tires on this car. Why Stagger on a 250hp vehicle? This seems a bit.... silly to me. Is there something I am missing? Wont this cause the car to push or understeer?

Is it a must I stagger? Is it better? Im not a bmw guru by any means so i dont know the answers. I am coming from an 05 GTO with 245's all the way around, and didnt stagger on that car and it was a 400HP beast.

I am looking to maybe get some wheels for it over the next 30-60 days. Thats why I am asking, about the stagger setup. I certainly dont want to muss the handling on this car.

Secondly, what are some popular wheel styles that wont break the bank for this car? I havent seen much that really jumped out at me, plus, the factory ones arent bad, espically compared to the trolls that came on my Goat from the factory.

Third - Run flats? Im guessing this car has run flats on it. They will probably be the orginal tires as the car has 4700 miles on it. Bridgestone Potenzas maybe? I havent seen them in person yet. I had a REALLY bad experince with potenzas on my GTO. TERRIBLE wear in the front and they were coned at 11k miles. Car was alligned perfectly, but the GTO WAS front heavy and I only rotated them once. They wore badly.

I understand the cars have no spare, and are equipped with run flats as such. Do you all still run them or? The fact that this car has a staggered setup that will prevent rotation on bad wearing (by experience) very expensive run flats concerns me deeply.

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

1. BMWs are RWD so it suits it to run staggered setups. It also reduces oversteer.

2. The most popular cast wheels are M6 reps, CSL reps, V710 are new but also pretty popular.

3. The stock tires on the 330i were Bridgestone Potenza. While I think they are okay (they do just fine), the general consensus is that runflat tires are crappy.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

m6 reps, these are m6 "reproduction" wheels?

I did a google and wow they DO look nice.

I think I just found the wheels i will put on it, as long as they are affordable.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Those are M6 replica wheels. They are very decently priced and are off good quality. You can find more info here.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

800 for a set? hell I paid alot more than that for the TSW's on my GTO.

not bad....

what size wheels are needed for a 2006 330i with sport?

Are the "staggered" wheels wider on the back or just wider tires by 20mm?

What about 245s all the way around, thats what i had on my GTO. Would that rub in the front?

I guess most guys keep the staggered setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

As for the run flats, pretty much all of us ditch them when switching to aftermarket rims. The general consensus, and what I personally do is carry a tire inflation kit in the trunk just incase. BMW offers an oem M Mobility Kit but it's quite costly, Continental sells one for much less that comes with a compressor and one can of tire sealant: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38. The one I bought here in Canada is sold under the name Airman and looks identical, except it uses Dunlop sealant and I got it on sale for $50.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
800 for a set? hell I paid alot more than that for the TSW's on my GTO.

not bad....

what size wheels are needed for a 2006 330i with sport?

Are the "staggered" wheels wider on the back or just wider tires by 20mm?

What about 245s all the way around, thats what i had on my GTO. Would that rub in the front?

I guess most guys keep the staggered setup?
The rear wheels are 1" (or 25.4 mm) wider than the front. You could go with 245 all around if you like so that you're able to rotate them. Usually the normal setup is 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. Let us know if you would like a quote for a set.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

265 rear? holy crap thats wide.

Thats way wider than my GTO

But - if you cant rotate them, dont they wear out faster?

I guess its a choice I will ahve to make now, stagger as factory or rotate?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah the tires will wear out quicker since you can't rotate them but that's just the nature of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
vortex_tuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

We also carry high quality M6 reps for 3 Series with staggered setup

Last edited by vortex_tuning; 12-29-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 03:21 AM   #11
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Hello Borsig, congrats on the NEW car. I have many wheel options for your new 330i, please let me know if you need some help with the M6 reps or any other wheels you like. Welcome to the forum.
Quote:

I have a couple questions for you, as this is my first bmw and I am what you might call a "muscle car" convert.

I am puzzled at the factory tires on this car. Why Stagger on a 250hp vehicle? This seems a bit.... silly to me. Is there something I am missing? Wont this cause the car to push or understeer?

Is it a must I stagger? Is it better? Im not a bmw guru by any means so i dont know the answers. I am coming from an 05 GTO with 245's all the way around, and didnt stagger on that car and it was a 400HP beast.

I am looking to maybe get some wheels for it over the next 30-60 days. Thats why I am asking, about the stagger setup. I certainly dont want to muss the handling on this car.

Secondly, what are some popular wheel styles that wont break the bank for this car? I havent seen much that really jumped out at me, plus, the factory ones arent bad, espically compared to the trolls that came on my Goat from the factory.

Third - Run flats? Im guessing this car has run flats on it. They will probably be the orginal tires as the car has 4700 miles on it. Bridgestone Potenzas maybe? I havent seen them in person yet. I had a REALLY bad experince with potenzas on my GTO. TERRIBLE wear in the front and they were coned at 11k miles. Car was alligned perfectly, but the GTO WAS front heavy and I only rotated them once. They wore badly.

I understand the cars have no spare, and are equipped with run flats as such. Do you all still run them or? The fact that this car has a staggered setup that will prevent rotation on bad wearing (by experience) very expensive run flats concerns me deeply.

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
on my car the tires wear out the same in the front and in the back. how did you find a 2006 330i with less than 5k on it??
      12-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

looked long and hard lol..

Its got 6k on it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
Staggered setup is for looks and liability reasons. 330 non-sport had 17" 225's on all four I think. I'm not certain if brakes are larger on sprt pkg cars. I would not go with 19" wheels. 255/35 rears are stiff enough with RFT's. I've been thinking about going 17" on all fours and run 235/40's if possible
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
The GTO is not that front heavy. 54/46 was the weight distribution. Sounds like the alignment was not perfect. Also, I have staggered on mine and 275s fit with no issues in the rear with the correct offset.

Good luck with the bimmer!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

Doc hey man I think I remember you from LS2GTO.com

Dont you have a monaro front on yours?

I miss my goat already
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:
Doc hey man I think I remember you from LS2GTO.com

Dont you have a monaro front on yours?

I miss my goat already
Yep, that's me. Full Monaro conversion on my baby. I just turn 70K on mine and still love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

Im already wanting mine back....

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt trade trhe BMW back for it or anything, I just miss it.
Appreciate 0