E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY Battery drain measurement ?

12-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
jlspost
Rep
Drives: 330i

DIY Battery drain measurement ?

I am UN-installing a "boomerang" security gps device tommorrow … and it would be nice to measure the current right after removal somehow ...

Bmw had it Friday and says I have battery parasite draw which is constantly draining the battery of 100ma to 200ma … which they suspect is an aftermarket device by BOOMERANG.

QUESTION : do you know of a way to measure how many amps my battery is supplying when the car is off ? Ie. with a volt/amp meter ??

Could I just put the meter on the battery terminals and read the current being drawn from the battery?

Thanks a ton guys,
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

you can put an ammeter on the battery to see how much charge it has and let it sit for awhile to see if it goes down a lot..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

You can do it with a multimeter, but it's tricky because of the way that BMW's electronics are. You need to connect the multimeter in series between the battery and the negative cable. But you don't want more than 10 amps going through the meter, so you need to have a jumper bypassing the meter until the car goes to sleep about an hour later. After that, you would turn on the meter (set to amps), remove the bypass, and see how much amperage it is drawing.
Kind of confusing to explain...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

The good old fashion way is to remove the fuse one at a time until the mA goes down. I suggest that you have the Boomerang just disconnected.

If you play with amperemeter, you ghave to know exactly what you are doing. Not a good idea for novice.

As alredy discussed and relating to my case, there are quite a few cases of current drains related to the central locking system. I would print them out and bring the pile to BMW Laval.
Appreciate 0