E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Blown Transfer Case

12-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
MVested
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xic AT, 2004 996tt x50

Blown Transfer Case

Anybody, ever? I think I may be one of the first victims. Its either that, the front poopoo open diff, or an axle. Hoping axle but betting on front diff. I'll let you guys know.

Also, if anyone has experience with the slapping of whats seems a broken tooth or gear in the front end, please let me know via PM

ROB
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
nomile
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi; 318ti

What kind of wheels are you running on this car?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
MVested
Private First Class
Rep

stock wheels, stock suspension, DPs FMIC DCI secondary cat removal, thats it

happened going uphill in the snow TCS off
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Running a tune? Just trying to get an idea of power levels you were running.

Why would you have DSC and DTC completely off if your going uphill in the snow? I can see having DSC limited and DTC on, but both off is puzzling.
      12-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Why would you have DSC and DTC completely off if your going uphill in the snow? I can see having DSC limited and DTC on, but both off is puzzling.
It's not puzzling. It is sometimes easier to drive up steep, slippery hills without any interference from the traction control system because you can carry your momentum farther up the hill. You might fishtail or slide around more, but at least you keep moving forward.

And, this should have nothing at all to do with the OP's blown center diff.
      12-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
It's not puzzling. It is sometimes easier to drive up steep, slippery hills without any interference from the traction control system because you can carry your momentum farther up the hill. You might fishtail or slide around more, but at least you keep moving forward.

And, this should have nothing at all to do with the OP's blown center diff.
+1
I normally leave all the traction aides on when driving in the snow, but sometimes they interfere too much and almost entirely cut your power, thus killing your momentum.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

I usually just turn on DTC and I get around fine.
      12-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVested View Post
Anybody, ever? I think I may be one of the first victims. Its either that, the front poopoo open diff, or an axle. Hoping axle but betting on front diff. I'll let you guys know.

Also, if anyone has experience with the slapping of whats seems a broken tooth or gear in the front end, please let me know via PM

ROB
When the front differential on a WRX fails (also an open diff) the car starts to shudder when you turn the steering wheel from side to side. Seems like you might have another issue other than front diff failure, but this is purely speculation on my part. good luck

Were you racing the engine (high rpm, big throttle) trying to get up this hill?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
MVested
Private First Class
Rep

The TCS aids were cutting power and braking wheels and completely killing my forward motion. For the previous two hours of driving I had them all engaged and had no issues. This one hill was impossible however without completely shutting them off.

As for power level, car is running stock ecu, but I have a DCI, FMIC, DPs, and secondary delete (too afraid to void my warranty and dinan doesnt like my supporting mods) so its probably only making a few ponies over stock, really just breathing better.

As for racing the engine, the revs were constantly fluctuating as I was constantly modifying my throttle position as well as switching gears (auto trans). I was sure however never to allow the revs to break 5k. Driving the car the next morning, just to make sure it wasnt a dream, I learned that there is a clicking sound that is worse when turning and also at low speeds, but as speed builds and the car stays straight the sound lessens. Under no load at speeds above 45, there is no banging or noise.

The car is at the dealer now and they refuse to diag bc I modified a front cross member to get the DPs in. I authorized an out of warranty (out of pocket) diag, but what do I do?

I'll keep the forum notified of updates, and please, any input could only help.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The TCS aids were cutting power and braking wheels and completely killing my forward motion. For the previous two hours of driving I had them all engaged and had no issues. This one hill was impossible however without completely shutting them off.

As for power level, car is running stock ecu, but I have a DCI, FMIC, DPs, and secondary delete (too afraid to void my warranty and dinan doesnt like my supporting mods) so its probably only making a few ponies over stock, really just breathing better.

As for racing the engine, the revs were constantly fluctuating as I was constantly modifying my throttle position as well as switching gears (auto trans). I was sure however never to allow the revs to break 5k. Driving the car the next morning, just to make sure it wasnt a dream, I learned that there is a clicking sound that is worse when turning and also at low speeds, but as speed builds and the car stays straight the sound lessens. Under no load at speeds above 45, there is no banging or noise.

The car is at the dealer now and they refuse to diag bc I modified a front cross member to get the DPs in. I authorized an out of warranty (out of pocket) diag, but what do I do?

I'll keep the forum notified of updates, and please, any input could only help.

Thanks guys
Tell me you didn't cut the subframe to fit the downpipes in.
      12-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I authorized an out of warranty (out of pocket) diag, but what do I do?
hind sight is always 20/20 but a good first step is always bring back to stock every time you are bringing the car in for a drivetrain complaint and you have non OEM power adders. you can bet on a dealer trying to pin the failure on the power adders

check for ice or debris hitting your wheels or other components

also, last time i had a clicking noise at low speeds during turning it was an axle nut that was very slightly (1/4 turn) not fully tightened. hopefully it is a simple issue that doesn't cost you $$

and lastly.. sometimes you just have to know when the vehicle won;t make it up the incline and give up. I used to drive a 4WD subaru with locking differentials and snow tires, and there were (very very occasionally) some inclines that were just too icy to climb. it happens man. sometimes AWD + snow tires just isn't enough
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #12
MVested
Private First Class
Rep

yup..and brought it in that way..dumbass i am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Tell me you didn't cut the subframe to fit the downpipes in.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Any other symptoms?

Quote:

ROB
My car started doing this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...45&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

bump for an update, what was the cause of the problem and how'd they fix it????
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
bump for an update, what was the cause of the problem and how'd they fix it????
      01-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

I killed one on my Evo back in 2004 due to abuse. It all started with what we call the "death whine"... It sucks and is expensive to fix

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
MVested
Private First Class
Rep

its been some time and i havent had the car for almost a year now. however, it was indeed the front diff, and it occurred because i notched the subframe causing the front end to twist under heavy load. cost $9700 but i kept my warranty. however, the dealership created an electrical gremlin (terminal SES) which eventually caused them to lemon and buy back the car. hope this helps out.

BTW, I was/am the first documented case of front diff failure.

I also forgot to mention that in the same incident, one of the drive tubes bent and both axles failed. seems as though the front of the xi's is not as strong as it should be...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

That's interesting. Maybe it's just me, but it seems odd that notching the subframe would cause the diff to fail. I mean, the axles are mounted into the diff and then onto the shock/strut assembly. The axles have cv joints in them causing them to flex, etc. for turning, going over bumps, etc. It doesn't seem that the axle flexing should cause diff to fail. Also, the diff is mounted to the oil pan, not to the subframe. The subframe attaches to the frame at 6 mounting points and the engine mounts to the subframe at two points to the rear of the subframe with motor mounts that are somewhat flexible.

just doesn't seem that the diff which is attached to the oil pan/engine, and the diff has axles attached to it that flex, with just a cut subframe, would flex so much to cause it to fail.

I may be wrong, but just seems a bit odd.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
MVested
Private First Class
Rep

i also agree with you, however, the damage may not be subframe, or 'twist' related at all. if i recall correctly, i was doing a brake stand (fronts locked, rears spinning). all of a sudden, power was distributed to the front, and the shock caused the diff to fail. to be honest, i wasnt being honest in my OP in fear of BMWNA reading it. Now that the car is out of my hands, i have no problem spilling the beans. so orangedawg, like you said, it wasnt because i modified the subframe, or at least i dont think so. the car was so new to market, and the dealer service department that they really didnt know where/what to blame it on. they basically just blamed it on the most heavily modified part of the front end.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

That's cool. Just was curious how flexing could cause failure, particularly since the driveshafts and the axles conected to the diff have u-joints in them. Glad it worked out for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Doing a brakestand in an AWD car seems like a profoundly bad idea IMHO
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
nomile
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi; 318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Doing a brakestand in an AWD car seems like a profoundly bad idea IMHO
You're being too kind in your choice of words - and for the OP to then to dump it on the dealer as a warranty... pretty crappy practice - remind me never to do business with the OP. You've gotta pay to play. Fess up when you screwed up.
Appreciate 0