Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

04-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
G80Cali
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

M3 Comp - Brake Screeching

Hello fellow members,

I recently got myself a used 2021 M3 BMW Comp (14k Miles) and noticed that the normal street braking causes an insane screech. I took it to the dealership and they just wrote it off as a normal thing for this vehicle. The screeching is pretty annoying though so just wanted to see if other owners experienced this and if they did how did they solve it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
BeamerBoomer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80Cali View Post
Hello fellow members,

I recently got myself a used 2021 M3 BMW Comp (14k Miles) and noticed that the normal street braking causes an insane screech. I took it to the dealership and they just wrote it off as a normal thing for this vehicle. The screeching is pretty annoying though so just wanted to see if other owners experienced this and if they did how did they solve it.
Yes, some of us experience this. I am ok so far. Scroll through the titles in this section and you will find several threads about it.
      04-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
G80Cali
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoomer View Post
Yes, some of us experience this. I am ok so far. Scroll through the titles in this section and you will find several threads about it.
appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Take it for a good run and do some PROPER braking cycles. Will sort it in no time.

Performance brakes don't take too well to light use. They need using hard fairly frequently to avoid the squealing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #5
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80Cali View Post
Hello fellow members,

Welcome 🙃
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
CromeBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BGM M4 Comp xDrive Convertible

Straight from the manual.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
You gotta get your high heels off, and drive the car. Pressure wash the rotors, get some iron remover and douse the wheels, break down that brake dust. Pressure wash the dust out of the rotor holes. What you're hearing it the dust buildup between the pads and the rotors. It's like dragging a chair across the floor and it makes that screeching sound.

When you don't drive it hard, the rotors get a glazing from the pads, and need to be knocked off from time to time. You need to get out there an and stand on them. Knock the stank off of them.

Appreciate 1
BMWM4CX281.50
      04-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
You gotta get your high heels off, and drive the car. Pressure wash the rotors, get some iron remover and douse the wheels, break down that brake dust. Pressure wash the dust out of the rotor holes. What you're hearing it the dust buildup between the pads and the rotors. It's like dragging a chair across the floor and it makes that screeching sound.

When you don't drive it hard, the rotors get a glazing from the pads, and need to be knocked off from time to time. You need to get out there an and stand on them. Knock the stank off of them.
This.

I usually don't have the opportunity to bed the brakes in.. mostly daily driving. But I have had great results with an iron remover/wheel cleaner and getting the brakes quiet again. This is usually best done with the front wheels off so you can get everything scrubbed down with a brush.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00