BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #1
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

So just had break-in service done

First off, noticed 7 extra miles on the odometer. Didn't think an oil/diff fluid change would require a test drive but even that seems excessive? I was in a rush to pick up the kids from school so I didn't bring it up yet.

Also I might have dreamed this, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the redline/yellow shift zone is increased after break-in? Or am I imagining this?

Lastly, I also got my summers put on (Michelins). I took delivery on winters so this is my first time on the Michelins, but there is some noticeable extra feedback/buzz at 80mph+. Tires need to bed in a bit? I assume wheels come balanced from factory? Or do the front lug nuts need to be re-seated?

The tech even sent me a video of him doing a walk around/under inspection of the car and I thought "wow, these guys are really professional." Now I'm like..??
      04-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Seems normal to me, not worth making a stink about IMO. On my break-in service, I had +6 or 7 miles. 10 seems a little excessive but remember they have to get the car up to operating temps during the drive.

On my most recent service I had +4 miles, but I also noticed the passenger seat was pushed back significantly and there was a small collection of leaves/dirt on the passenger seat floor mat. Clearly, the tech took his coworker out with him on the final test drive. Initially I was kinda pissed.. but realized it's not really a big deal. I didn't bring it up. I just wish at the very least they didn't leave dirt on the floor mat. It's a new M3 so I'm sure the techs were all giddy to take a short ride in it.

There's no software change or anything during the break in service. You can redline the car just as well before break in vs. after.

As for the tires, seems like either 1.) they need to be re-balanced and/or 2.) the lugs need to be re-torqued. After putting the wheels back on and torqueing the bolts and you are supposed to drive ~25 miles or so then re-torque to spec. My guess is #1 though due to the new tire size/weight.
Appreciate 1
OF Hero1133.00
      04-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

Maybe auto mechanics are no doing the "my own body cam" thing

In L.A. cops are given official body cams but some buy and also wear a personal one. [Play music here about the sorry state of our society.]

For some time many shops (including my last MBZ dealer's) have videoed a walk-around when receiving a car in for service. [Replay music.] It would not surprise me if individuals are starting to do similar, so a mechanic can say "it left here fine, ask the car wash kid" and be able to do CYA if a service manager tries creative editing to do their own CYA because they hired their nephew to be the car wash kid.

Memo to Self: Watch here for threads on dash cams and 24/7 cloud storage options for M-beasts.
      04-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

Hijacking car cams; adding dash cam; cloud storage

Moved to its own new thread.

Last edited by BugKiller; 04-08-2022 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Made own topic.
Appreciate 0