F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 as a daily
proTUNING Freaks

04-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #1
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 E46 M3 6MT, 08 S2000

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
F30 as a daily

hello all, joined to get some insight on reliablity, options, and pricing since im considering an F3x 3/435i as a daily to complement my E46 M3 later this year. hoping some people with them as dailies could answer a few questions.

1. How is the reliablity on these as the miles get up? looking at the n55, it seems to be the usual OFHG/OCG, oil leaks, charge pipe issues, as well as some VANOS solenoid issues, but nothing like the N54 HPFPs. besides that, do the F30 chassis have any glaring faults?
2. is there a list of what options/packages were available over the model years? ideally id like something with the msport, premium, and cold weather packages, but it'd be nice to do some research on what all those came with.
3. MPPSK. for those of you that have it and daily your car, how do you enjoy it? was it worth the price for OEM+ performance over some other aftermarket options?
4. pricing (everyones favorite topic). now i know this is extremely subjective and dependent on a lot of factors, but assuming a clean title, higher mileage (say 80k+) 335i, what would you think is a good deal? i see a bunch around the 23-28k range which is ideally where i'd like to stay.

thanks in advance! attached some pics of my old E90, and current E46
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
otay826.00
rcaso26331.00
      04-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Call me silly but why wouldn’t you just use the car you currently have?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 01:36 AM   #3
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Call me silly but why wouldn’t you just use the car you currently have?
no, thats a valid point. if i was living where i used to be, and my commute was 12 minutes from door to door, i'd probably have no issues driving the E46. Now that i've moved though, its anywhere from 25m to 1h, and spending that time in a track prepped car (straight piped, solid mounts, poly bushings, etc) is pretty annoying, so looking for a more comfortable ride.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      04-03-2022, 04:06 AM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder_x5 View Post
no, thats a valid point. if i was living where i used to be, and my commute was 12 minutes from door to door, i'd probably have no issues driving the E46. Now that i've moved though, its anywhere from 25m to 1h, and spending that time in a track prepped car (straight piped, solid mounts, poly bushings, etc) is pretty annoying, so looking for a more comfortable ride.
Make sense!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 07:55 AM   #5
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Since you already have a fast car, why not consider a 'lesser' 330i, 2017 or 2018. It will turn much better fuel economy (on highway I can get just about 40mpg), still be quick, facelifted (2018's get updated iDrive with touchscreen), and you can find one with less miles for probably the same price. You're going to overpay for any you find at this point. Example - I bought my then 14k mile 330i at BMW as a CPO for $30.6k one year ago. I can't speak on reliability, since mine only has 19k.

As far as packages, having the track package is nice with the larger brakes, adaptive suspension, wheels and variable steering, but if those dampers go, they are big bucks to replace. Executive Package is nice because it gets you the digital cluster most people retrofit and adaptive headlights.

Rear in-door sunshades, electric rear sunshade, cold weather, and adaptive cruise are hard to find and even harder to find with them all together.

Here are some I found near me but at the top of your budget:

This one is pretty loaded with Executive Package for $29k and 42k miles

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest

And this one is $28.7k with 40k Adaptive Cruise (rare), electric rear sunshade, and Executive Package.

| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #6
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Since you already have a fast car, why not consider a 'lesser' 330i, 2017 or 2018. It will turn much better fuel economy (on highway I can get just about 40mpg), still be quick, facelifted (2018's get updated iDrive with touchscreen), and you can find one with less miles for probably the same price. You're going to overpay for any you find at this point. Example - I bought my then 14k mile 330i at BMW as a CPO for $30.6k one year ago. I can't speak on reliability, since mine only has 19k.

As far as packages, having the track package is nice with the larger brakes, adaptive suspension, wheels and variable steering, but if those dampers go, they are big bucks to replace. Executive Package is nice because it gets you the digital cluster most people retrofit and adaptive headlights.

Rear in-door sunshades, electric rear sunshade, cold weather, and adaptive cruise are hard to find and even harder to find with them all together.

Here are some I found near me but at the top of your budget:

This one is pretty loaded with Executive Package for $29k and 42k miles

And this one is $28.7k with 40k Adaptive Cruise (rare), electric rear sunshade, and Executive Package.

interesting, i didnt even consider the 330s. good call. i agree on the overpaying point, but this is just me planning for the future. dont intend on buying for the next 3-6 months, so i just want to gather some info in the mean time

the b48 seems like a step up from the N20, but moving the vanos solenoids and timing chain to the back give me a little reason to worry. i guess it's time to do more research then...
      04-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Quote:
interesting, i didnt even consider the 330s. good call. i agree on the overpaying point, but this is just me planning for the future. dont intend on buying for the next 3-6 months, so i just want to gather some info in the mean time

the b48 seems like a step up from the N20, but moving the vanos solenoids and timing chain to the back give me a little reason to worry. i guess it's time to do more research then...
The B48 is way better than the N20. It's smoother and definitely quieter. We just traded our 2017 X3 in, and while I loved the car, the N20 was noisy and rough, especially cold compared to my 330i. I haven't heard of any problems with the B48, timing in the rear should be reliable. Definitely not like the early N20's.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Nice cars you've got there. I've recently purchased my 3rd F30 (will start another thread). Here are my recommendations:
- I prefer the sweet inline 6 to a more high-strung 4. So...go with a lowish mileage N55 (under 60k or so) if you can find one. The N55 is very reliable and, because it's been around for so long, it's well known with lots of parts and mods available. Plus, it'll be less $$ than B58.

- M Sport is a must for the steering wheel and overall looks. I've had both regular M Sport suspension and adaptive. To me, the adaptive Comfort Mode was not much (if any) more comfortable than the regular M Sport passive suspension, and Sport mode of the adaptive just made it more "crashy" (if that makes any sense). Plus, the adaptive will be more expensive to maintain, and a waste if you decide to go with coilovers later. Also, recommend getting Driver Assist (camera and parking sensors), Premium (Comfort Access and adjustable lumbar). Then heated seats and the nav option w/ enhanced B/T. Last, on the headlights...if you go with an earlier model, the adaptive Xenons are standard in '14 & '15, and work great. If you go with a later F30, make sure to get the adaptive LEDs, because the standard LEDs suck (in my opinion).

- The F30 I just bought has MPPK, so just the tune, not the exhaust. I really like it. Not looking for extra noise this time. I'm finding that leaving it in Comfort mode with the MPPK is a great balance of a bit quicker pedal response, with enough extra power for being a daily.

- I paid $28k to a BMW dealer for a 2015 with 52k miles. Too much? Perhaps, but the car market (as we all know) is crazy right now. I'm happy with the purchase.

Good luck!

Last edited by otay; 04-03-2022 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #9
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I have a fun non-daily car (E30) and have gone through a few non-M 3-series as daily drivers in the past several years, so I'll chime in. I'd daily an E90 M3 if I could, but my commute is about 50 miles a day.

I'm sure you have an opinion, everyone does, but I'm a RWD-or-bust type of BMW fan. The xDrive sacrifice to front suspension geometry, suspension tuning overall, ride height, the additional failure/maintenance points of the transfer case and front drive assemblies aren't worth it but that's just my opinion. I use two sets of wheels/tires. It narrows the field, seems more xDrive cars are sold these days and in the past 10-15 yrs.

I had 2012 328i Sport 6spd from new, which was totaled so I searched for a 335i rwd 6spd M sport, but they're tough to find so I bought an '06 330i sport 6spd to get me by. Took a couple years, found an '11 E90 335i that checked all the boxes. Drove that for 3 years, got a little spooked about the N55 top and bottom end vulnerabilities and figured late last year was a good time to cash out and search for a B58 car. Got a 340i, it lives up to the hype.

B series engines are supposed to be bulletproof, but really I'm sure it's all relative. A 2016 340i is not that much more expensive than a 2015 335i or a 2017 330i, and the fuel consumption is in between them (22/33, 21/32, 23/34 respectively, YMMV). So, take that for what it's worth.

1. How is the reliablity on these as the miles get up?

They're solid if maintained. Be mindful of N55 lurking vulnerabilities if you go that route.

2. is there a list of what options/packages were available over the model years? ideally id like something with the msport, premium, and cold weather packages, but it'd be nice to do some research on what all those came with.

M sport is primarily an appearance package, but it's a must. I suggest you also look for either dynamic handling pkg on the pre-LCI or track handling pkg on the LCI cars, which add adaptive suspension and variable sport steering. Premium package is a must IMO, and you can bet that if the car has leather it'll have premium package. Look for the stitched seam on the door above the armrests, sensatec cars don't have that. Cold weather package is nice, it adds a heated steering wheel and rear seats and I think sometimes headlight washers (my car doesn't have those but has the pkg) but front heated seats are a common enough option and through-loading split fold rear seats are standard on F30s. The tech packages are nice, I'm spoiled by HUD and top-down cameras now.

The full options guide is here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=609252

3. MPPSK. for those of you that have it and daily your car, how do you enjoy it? was it worth the price for OEM+ performance over some other aftermarket options?

Can't comment, don't have it.

4. pricing

I think you're in the ballpark. I tell anyone in the market for a BMW, don't rush it, there will be cars out there with your ideal configuration for a good price if you're patient.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 05:28 PM   #10
F30CHEW
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have a 2014 335i M Sport. I purchased it in January of last year with 84,xxx for 22k. I currently have 101,xxx on the odometer. It is hands down the best daily driver I've had thus far. I went from an E46 323i to an E90 328i and now, an F30 335i. It gets looks all the time (Estoril Blue on 19's).

Reliability: I've had one repair and that was my heater core which meant the dash had to come out. I had cold air on one side and hot on the other when using heat. I spent $2100 to fix that. Otherwise, it has been trouble-free. I've had no electrical gremlins. My E90 Christmas tree'd and set me back about 2k.

Oil leaks: I feel like that's par for the course with BMWs. Mine is weeping a little bit but it's not enough to warrant the $1100 fix which my shop cleared.

That's my two cents. Like S4NoMore said, They're solid if maintained.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #11
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Nice cars you've got there. I've recently purchased my 3rd F30 (will start another thread). Here are my recommendations:
- I prefer the sweet inline 6 to a more high-strung 4. So...go with a lowish mileage N55 (under 60k or so) if you can find one. The N55 is very reliable and, because it's been around for so long, it's well known with lots of parts and mods available. Plus, it'll be less $$ than B58.

- M Sport is a must for the steering wheel and overall looks. I've had both regular M Sport suspension and adaptive. To me, the adaptive Comfort Mode was not much (if any) more comfortable than the regular M Sport passive suspension, and Sport mode of the adaptive just made it more "crashy" (if that makes any sense). Plus, the adaptive will be more expensive to maintain, and a waste if you decide to go with coilovers later. Also, recommend getting Driver Assist (camera and parking sensors), Premium (Comfort Access and adjustable lumbar). Then heated seats and the nav option w/ enhanced B/T. Last, on the headlights...if you go with an earlier model, the adaptive Xenons are standard in '14 & '15, and work great. If you go with a later F30, make sure to get the adaptive LEDs, because the standard LEDs suck (in my opinion).

- The F30 I just bought has MPPK, so just the tune, not the exhaust. I really like it. Not looking for extra noise this time. I'm finding that leaving it in Comfort mode with the MPPK is a great balance of a bit quicker pedal response, with enough extra power for being a daily.

- I paid $28k to a BMW dealer for a 2015 with 52k miles. Too much? Perhaps, but the car market (as we all know) is crazy right now. I'm happy with the purchase.

Good luck!
thanks for the info! i agree with getting as many of the tech/comfort features as possible, seeing as this will (probably) be my first ever AT car (the horror!) since its mainly a commuter. interesting to hear your thoughts on the adaptive suspension. i know its not an apples - apples comparo, but on my old e90 m3, the comfort setting was noticeably more comfortable than a friends passive setup. the replacement cost aspect does definitely push me towards the non adaptive 704 sport suspension though.

good to know the MPPK gives her a little bit more get up and go. i'm trying to fight the urge to modify everything with this next car, and an OEM+ tune seems like the best compromise.
      04-03-2022, 11:22 PM   #12
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
I have a fun non-daily car (E30) and have gone through a few non-M 3-series as daily drivers in the past several years, so I'll chime in. I'd daily an E90 M3 if I could, but my commute is about 50 miles a day.

I'm sure you have an opinion, everyone does, but I'm a RWD-or-bust type of BMW fan. The xDrive sacrifice to front suspension geometry, suspension tuning overall, ride height, the additional failure/maintenance points of the transfer case and front drive assemblies aren't worth it but that's just my opinion. I use two sets of wheels/tires. It narrows the field, seems more xDrive cars are sold these days and in the past 10-15 yrs.

I had 2012 328i Sport 6spd from new, which was totaled so I searched for a 335i rwd 6spd M sport, but they're tough to find so I bought an '06 330i sport 6spd to get me by. Took a couple years, found an '11 E90 335i that checked all the boxes. Drove that for 3 years, got a little spooked about the N55 top and bottom end vulnerabilities and figured late last year was a good time to cash out and search for a B58 car. Got a 340i, it lives up to the hype.

B series engines are supposed to be bulletproof, but really I'm sure it's all relative. A 2016 340i is not that much more expensive than a 2015 335i or a 2017 330i, and the fuel consumption is in between them (22/33, 21/32, 23/34 respectively, YMMV). So, take that for what it's worth.

1. How is the reliablity on these as the miles get up?

They're solid if maintained. Be mindful of N55 lurking vulnerabilities if you go that route.

M sport is primarily an appearance package, but it's a must. I suggest you also look for either dynamic handling pkg on the pre-LCI or track handling pkg on the LCI cars, which add adaptive suspension and variable sport steering. Premium package is a must IMO, and you can bet that if the car has leather it'll have premium package. Look for the stitched seam on the door above the armrests, sensatec cars don't have that. Cold weather package is nice, it adds a heated steering wheel and rear seats and I think sometimes headlight washers (my car doesn't have those but has the pkg) but front heated seats are a common enough option and through-loading split fold rear seats are standard on F30s. The tech packages are nice, I'm spoiled by HUD and top-down cameras now.

The full options guide is here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=609252

Can't comment, don't have it.

4. pricing

I think you're in the ballpark. I tell anyone in the market for a BMW, don't rush it, there will be cars out there with your ideal configuration for a good price if you're patient.
fully agree with you on the RWD or nothing approach to BMW. drove an e90 335i rwd and xi back to back before i went M3, and the difference in feel put me off the xdrive, even though it would have been more capable in the PNW.

agree with getting the msport and premium/cold weather/tech packages. regarding the variable steering, how does it compare to the normal. ive always heard that the multi setting EPS makes it feel very weird in sport mode, so not sure i want to go that route. i suppose the best way is to drive cars with/without back to back. thank you for the options list though - a lot of codes now saved onto my list.
      04-03-2022, 11:23 PM   #13
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30CHEW View Post
I have a 2014 335i M Sport. I purchased it in January of last year with 84,xxx for 22k. I currently have 101,xxx on the odometer. It is hands down the best daily driver I've had thus far. I went from an E46 323i to an E90 328i and now, an F30 335i. It gets looks all the time (Estoril Blue on 19's).

Reliability: I've had one repair and that was my heater core which meant the dash had to come out. I had cold air on one side and hot on the other when using heat. I spent $2100 to fix that. Otherwise, it has been trouble-free. I've had no electrical gremlins. My E90 Christmas tree'd and set me back about 2k.

Oil leaks: I feel like that's par for the course with BMWs. Mine is weeping a little bit but it's not enough to warrant the $1100 fix which my shop cleared.

That's my two cents. Like S4NoMore said, They're solid if maintained.
estoril blue is a fantastic color! id love to get the same, but i know how relatively rare they are and what kind of premiums they pull. glad to know that its been relatively trouble free even over 100k. my friend has been putting me off with his 135i, but thats an N54 with a few more issues.
      04-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #14
robfm81
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335D X-Drive

Estoril Blue is my color of choice. Personally I have a 335D M-Sport X-Drive. Off the lights its a monster, with all the wheels pulling it goes off like a rocket with no wheel spin.

The extra ride height is a god-send for getting over speed bumps, as I have the factory bodykit which does lower the front bumper.

I can get almost 50mpg on a run over half an hour, and this only drops to about 36mpg if i'm booting it all over the place (very grin inducing).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 03:27 AM   #15
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfm81 View Post
Estoril Blue is my color of choice. Personally I have a 335D M-Sport X-Drive. Off the lights its a monster, with all the wheels pulling it goes off like a rocket with no wheel spin.

The extra ride height is a god-send for getting over speed bumps, as I have the factory bodykit which does lower the front bumper.

I can get almost 50mpg on a run over half an hour, and this only drops to about 36mpg if i'm booting it all over the place (very grin inducing).
Literally no one here (ok, maybe a couple) will agree with you about the x drive's SUV-like ride height. Lots of effort and $$ go into remedying that ride height. Looks like you like yours the way it is, so keep floating...😁
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:25 AM   #16
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: -

An F30 B48 is great for a daily. Here's mine to maybe further entice you

Just an out of the box 320i Sport Shadow Edition
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      04-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #17
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
regarding the variable steering, how does it compare to the normal. ive always heard that the multi setting EPS makes it feel very weird in sport mode, so not sure i want to go that route. i suppose the best way is to drive cars with/without back to back. thank you for the options list though - a lot of codes now saved onto my list.
It's actually not a multi-setting EPS, the variable sport steering is a mechanically different steering rack. Around center the ratio is close to the standard rack, but as you get further from center the ratio quickens up. The result is, if I recall correctly, 2.2 turns LTL.

I see a lot of naysayers calling out the sudden change in ratio as upsetting their driving style mid-corner, or during spirited driving, but I don't agree - the ratio is linear and you'll very much grow accustomed to the response. It doesn't change based on vehicle speed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #18
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
It's actually not a multi-setting EPS, the variable sport steering is a mechanically different steering rack. Around center the ratio is close to the standard rack, but as you get further from center the ratio quickens up. The result is, if I recall correctly, 2.2 turns LTL.

I see a lot of naysayers calling out the sudden change in ratio as upsetting their driving style mid-corner, or during spirited driving, but I don't agree - the ratio is linear and you'll very much grow accustomed to the response. It doesn't change based on vehicle speed.
oh interesting. i think i might be getting it confused from the f8x m car steering. definitely looks like something i might want. time to find a car with it and drive her around.
      04-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #19
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
I have the "variable steering" or whatever it's exactly called and I don't even notice it tbh. Drove cars without and with, and didn't notice much difference. Didn't drive them back to back, but I've had the car for almost 6 months, and I'm good with the steering feel.

I do quite enjoy the adaptive suspension and for me it was worth finding a car that had it. My wife much prefers a smooth relaxing comfy ride, which is achievable (enough) in comfort mode, and then when I'm in the car alone, I can switch to sport and enjoy a tighter feeling suspension.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #20
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Steering weight does change with mode selected. I refer back to this very helpful older chart (below). Source here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post23267488

Not sure if it applies to newer 340i/440i.

Also have attached an image of my owner's manual for '15 335i (although my car is not optioned with VSS - code 2VL).

I realize this stuff is debated all over the internet, and may change from model year to model year, but it's what I believe is true at least up through MY 2015.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #21
sidewinder_x5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Steering weight does change with mode selected. I refer back to this very helpful older chart (below). Source here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post23267488

Not sure if it applies to newer 340i/440i.

Also have attached an image of my owner's manual for '15 335i (although my car is not optioned with VSS - code 2VL).

I realize this stuff is debated all over the internet, and may change from model year to model year, but it's what I believe is true at least up through MY 2015.
so it changes the lock to lock value as well as steering feel? thats cool. looking more and more like something id like.
      04-05-2022, 07:49 AM   #22
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

My 2 C…

2015 335i Msport is our perfect daily. Bought it at 27,000 and now have 119,000. Never had a single check engine light ever. Great around town, fantastic long hauler with EcoPro, fast when needed, and looks good. I just did a bunch of DIY stuff, OPG,OFHG,OCG, plugs, etc and from a wrenching perspective, it's very,very easy to work on. Even dropping the subframe in our 1 car garage on jacks went without a hitch.
And that's coming from turning wrenches on my e46,e90 and F80.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2