RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
KW HAS or MSS Adjustable

Hi all,

I am going in this Thursday to close the unsightly wheel gap on my '22 Mexico Blue xdrive.

I am new to lowering cars (will be my first time). I don't want the slammed look. I am simply looking to lessen the eye sore of a wheel gap. I would like to maintain all OEM functionality and definitely don't want to change the driving dynamics for the negative.

I'll be heading over to see Ben at r33_RGSport -thanks for all the positive feedback I've seen from many of you.

I am trying to decide whether we should go with MSS or KW…

Ben was patient enough to explain his thoughts on one versus the other and based on the fact I don't want that slammed look, has recommended MSS.

From my initial reading on the subject I was leaning towards KW.

Then there's the question of spacers. I did not win the tire lottery. I got Pirelli's. If I add spacers to the job on Thursday, what size? I don't want any rubbing. I would like to stay conservative on this front as well.

I know there are similar posts- sorry in advance. I appreciate everyone's feedback!
Mike
Appreciate 3
Vic5519363.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #2
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
@Vic55

I saw you went with MSS. You seem pretty happy with your setup…

What size spacers?

Would love to hear more of your thoughts when you have a free moment.

Thanks dude
Appreciate 2
Vic5519363.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
KW is an official supplier to BMW Motorsport with over 25 years of experience in suspension tuning and components.

You can read more about their history here: https://www.kwsuspensions.com/bmw-motorsport

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 3
RockinPA4848.00
jmg18705.00
'Cane8514.50
      03-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
@Vic55

What size spacers?

Thanks dude
Of course you will get the bias from a choice few or just talk to the end users (I dont get paid by KW or MSS or am I retailer). I chose MSS back in June because KW was delayed. KW has been over 15 of my cars if not more and is on my M8. Its a solid product.

But the OEM stance was just not cutting so I went with MSS and that was on my RWD G80. I like the ride and compliance so much that when I got the G80 X in Sept I just moved the parts over. Having tested the ride over the same roads Ive driven with others; the MSS road feel is excellent. Its a strong blend of undulation endurance along with the proper amount of compression and rebound under load and flex. Its a good product for the G80 and has that important "one bump down and up" I wanted for the street; none of that bouncy shit on springs.

Now its not without fault in regards to ride height where it didnt drop the front enough for me; but we just did a mini hack and inverted the the adjuster for a fixed 35mm drop which still provided that excellent ride. They have since fixed that with a new kit that drops the front to proper height. The rear on my car has about 10mm left to drop but can go up whereas the KW (without spacers in the rear) is very low at max height up; so its ironic that originally the MSS could not drop the front enough while the KW rear wont go up enough without an add on kit. MSS has fixed their issues and Im happy with my set up.

I run 15mm square spacers and ran 15mm spacers on my RWD car with Pirellis--- no rubbing due to the drop but the Pirellis are just a bit more stout so some minor inside fin rubbing that Ben can remedy easily.

This is on the new kit and I have 1 thread left up front and 10mm left in the rear:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 03-21-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 8
      03-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
@Vic55

What size spacers?

Thanks dude
Of course you will get the bias from a choice few or just talk to the end users (I dont get paid by KW or MSS or am I retailer). I chose MSS back in June because KW was delayed. KW has been over 15 of my cars if not more and is on my M8. Its a solid product.

But the OEM stance was just not cutting so I went with MSS and that was on my RWD G80. I like the ride and compliance so much that when I got the G80 X in Sept I just moved the parts over. Having tested the ride over the same roads Ive driven with others; the MSS road feel is excellent. Its a strong blend of undulation endurance along with the proper amount of compression and rebound under load and flex. Its a good product for the G80 and has that important "one bump down and up" I wanted for the street; none of that bouncy shit on springs.

Now its not without fault in regards to ride height where it didnt drop the front enough for me; but we just did a mini hack and inverted the the adjuster for a fixed 35mm drop which still provided that excellent ride. They have since fixed that with a new kit that drops the front to proper height. The rear on my car has about 10mm left to drop but can go up whereas the KW (without spacers in the rear) is very low at max height up; so its ironic that originally the MSS could not drop the front enough while the KW rear wont go up enough without an add on kit. MSS has fixed their issues and Im happy with my set up.

I run 15mm square spacers and ran 15mm spacers on my RWD car with Pirellis--- no rubbing due to the drop but the Pirellis are just a bit more stout so some minor inside fin rubbing that Ben can remedy easily.

This is on the new kit and I have 1 thread left up front and 10mm left in the rear:

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0[/img]
Thank you dude! Your car looks amazing! I have been spending a fair amount of time in this side of the forum and it seems like people have been pretty fired up with MSS in regards to the lack of drop in the front end. Not sure if that really bothers me since I don't want a slammed look/ especially in front anyway.

I have the OEM, MP front lip which I definitely don't want to scrape if at all possible.

I have been going back and forth on whether or not to lower it at all to be honest…

I don't want to scrape on my driveway or out and about. I am very careful, back in, sideways speed bumps, etc but still on the fence.

I guess I want a very conservative drop.

Since you have had lots of KW products (and I know they have a huge tie to OEM), given all the bad publicity surrounding MSS lately on the forums, you'd still go MSS?

What's going to provide the best looking but conservative drop? It's important to me to maintain the OEM rake and functionality…

Regarding spacers, I have seen some that want to avoid rub go 10 in front and 12 in rear… leaning towards that route… I think 15 all around may be too aggressive for my tastes…

This is all new to me, doing my best to learn. Thank you for weighing in.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Thank you dude! Your car looks amazing! I have been spending a fair amount of time in this side of the forum and it seems like people have been pretty fired up with MSS in regards to the lack of drop in the front end. Not sure if that really bothers me since I don't want a slammed look/ especially in front anyway.

I have the OEM, MP front lip which I definitely don't want to scrape if at all possible.

I have been going back and forth on whether or not to lower it at all to be honest…

I don't want to scrape on my driveway or out and about. I am very careful, back in, sideways speed bumps, etc but still on the fence.

Since you have had lots of KW products (and I know they have a huge tie to OEM), given all the bad publicity surrounding MSS lately on the forums, you'd still go MSS?

What's going to provide the best looking but conservative drop? It's important to me to maintain the OEM rake and functionality…

Regarding spacers, I have seen some that want to avoid rub go 10 in front and 12 in rear… leaning towards that route… I think 15 all around may be too aggressive for my tastes…

If I get another G80- Ill just use the MSS again; Im very very happy with it.

All the new kits are fully adjustable front and rear so the lack of going low in the front is not an issue. Im sure Ben explained that when you spoke.

If you want the conservative approach you will want MSS as the KW doesnt go up enough in the rear for probably what you like (I like it personally but its low). I just know the roads I drive on well and the MSS keeps the car planted and not all are excellent in regards to pavement.

Here are 15mm spacers with Pirellis on MSS (my aggressive stance)- the Pirellis rub in reverse (not due to lowering) and its an annoying but not damaging sound. We just heated up the fins on the inside fender and pushed them in. No rubbing with Michelin.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 03-21-2022 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
RockinPA4848.00
      03-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #7
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

What i noticed while looking at the different options out there, is that the KW HAS kit while on the rear being almost too low, the front is too high. There is quite a gap on the lowest setting and the MSS springs look better to my eye. Per Vics pic above, this is what i consider the perfect drop on the front. But KW sits 1/2" higher at least.
Appreciate 3
Vic5519363.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
RockinPA4848.00
      03-21-2022, 04:09 PM   #8
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Heres my G80 on Kw Has kit with 15F/12R future classis spacers. I have a tiny rub only when backing up with the wheel turned all the way to the right. Im currently set lowest front recommended and just about the highest rear setting. Will look to raise my rear a hair more as it settled more than the front.
Attached Images

r33_RGSport12971.00
RockinPA4848.00
Vic5519363.50
m.dreamin1610.00
      03-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #9
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

If I get another G80- Ill just use the MSS again; Im very very happy with it.

All the new kits are fully adjustable front and rear so the lack of going low in the front is not an issue. Im sure Ben explained that when you spoke.

If you want the conservative approach you will want MSS as the KW doesnt go up enough in the rear for probably what you like (I like it personally but its low). I just know the roads I drive on well and the MSS keeps the car planted and not all are excellent in regards to pavement.

Here are 15mm spacers with Pirellis on MSS (my aggressive stance)- the Pirellis rub in reverse (not due to lowering) and its an annoying but not damaging sound. We just heated up the fins on the inside fender and pushed them in. No rubbing with Michelin.

Looks killer! I remember seeing photos of that beast.
Ok, That is good to know! I guess now I am leaning towards the MSS kit. It seems like I will be able to achieve the look I'm going for more with MSS.

I just need to figure out the spacers…. Maybe the smallest spacer Ben has so no rubbing. I definitely don't want to deal with all that. I guess we could push the fins in but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

It does look amazing in that photo! Thanks for all your help, dude! One of these days, we will have to get a group to go to south oc cars and coffee.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
Heres my G80 on Kw Has kit with 15F/12R future classis spacers. I have a tiny rub only when backing up with the wheel turned all the way to the right. Im currently set lowest front recommended and just about the highest rear setting. Will look to raise my rear a hair more as it settled more than the front.
I've seen your photos of this beauty before! I love it, dude! I am trying to avoid the rub…
Maybe 12F and 10R?…
Decisions, decisions….

Thank you for posting man.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #11
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Quote:
Quote:
I've seen your photos of this beauty before! I love it, dude! I am trying to avoid the rub…
Maybe 12F and 10R?…
Decisions, decisions….

Thanks brother. I've honestly only heard it rub while making a k turn. I will prolly just heat up and slightly bend the two fins that cause it to rub. It looks perfect with the 15mm
RockinPA4848.00
      03-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #12
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe 12F and 10R?…
Decisions, decisions….

Thanks brother. I've honestly only heard it rub while making a k turn. I will prolly just heat up and slightly bend the two fins that cause it to rub. It looks perfect with the 15mm
Yeah. Yours and Vic's both do look really good with those 15's up front. I'll have to talk to Ben about it more in person on Thursday.

Gotta decide which kit and what size spacers… 🤔
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 06:17 PM   #13
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
@Vic55

I will likely need an alignment after the drop/ spacers, ya? Who do you use in our area?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #14
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

If you get MSS, make sure you get the kit that lowers the front properly. The initial kit was very unsatisfactory from a lowering perspective. The updated kit goes lower; I think it's called sport or something

The kit does ride pretty well though, especially in the rear.

I think both kits are pretty similar in quality. I think KW is cheaper but some people complain about the rear ride height, they have a spacer for that now though

You won't go too far wrong with either but the rear dual spring set up on the MSS swayed me and it works very well
Appreciate 2
RockinPA4848.00
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 06:43 PM   #15
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
If you get MSS, make sure you get the kit that lowers the front properly. The initial kit was very unsatisfactory from a lowering perspective. The updated kit goes lower; I think it's called sport or something

I think both kits are pretty similar in quality. I think KW is cheaper but some people complain about the rear ride height, they have a spacer for that now though

You won't go too far wrong with either but the rear dual spring set up on the MSS swayed me and it works very well
Thanks dude. Yeah, I read about that. I'm sure Ben at r33_RGSport has the newest kits since I read he was involved in getting people the upgraded parts. I'll definitely verify with him when I go in.

I think you guys have convinced me though on the MSS kit. Just need to decide on spacer sizes…

I'm glad you're enjoining the ride quality. That is definitely a concern for me in lowering the car.

Thanks again for weighing in man!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Thanks dude. Yeah, I read about that. I'm sure Ben at r33_RGSport has the newest kits since I read he was involved in getting people the upgraded parts. I'll definitely verify with him when I go in.

I think you guys have convinced me though on the MSS kit. Just need to decide on spacer sizes…

I'm glad you're enjoining the ride quality. That is definitely a concern for me in lowering the car.

All my inventory are the latest updated version.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      03-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #17
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:

All my inventory are the latest updated version.
Awesome! Looking forward to Thursday dude!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #18
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Awesome! Looking forward to Thursday dude!
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

If you're referring to the load/helper spring, this has no effect on ride quality or adjustability, it's to simply keep the springs from unloading when the wheels are fully unloaded (like on a lift or jackstands). The spring spacers are available, but haven't come across someone that's asked for them yet. they're still on our shelf.

Vendors always have their favorites (ie: bigger margins with MSS), but we've had zero issues with the KW brand and will continue to use & recommend them.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-21-2022 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      03-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #20
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:

I have the Pirelli's too. I went with 15's in the front. There is very slight rubbing in reverse at full lock but that's it. Not a big deal to me at all. I'm sure Ben can hit the arch liner with a heat gun and move the piece that rubs a little bit. I just haven't got around to it.

You could go 15's all around without too much hassle. Rears have lots of room.

This is mine with 15's up front and the original MSS kit on max low in front. I have the updated kit here ready to fit to close the front gap just a half an inch or so and I might raise the rear 10mm

I might add 15's to the rear too, the 10's are not quite flush
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
RockinPA4848.00
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #21
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:

If you're referring to the load/helper spring, this has no effect on ride quality or adjustability, it's to simply keep the springs from unloading when the wheels are fully unloaded (like on a lift or jackstands). The spring spacers are available, but haven't come across someone that's asked for them yet. they're still on our shelf.

Vendors always have their favorites (ie: bigger margins with MSS), but we've had zero issues with the KW brand and will continue to use & recommend them.
Yeah I get it. It seems like you can't go wrong with either kit. Thanks man
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8209.00
      03-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #22
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the Pirelli's too. I went with 15's in the front. There is very slight rubbing in reverse at full lock but that's it. Not a big deal to me at all. I'm sure Ben can hit the arch liner with a heat gun and move the piece that rubs a little bit. I just haven't got around to it.

You could go 15's all around without too much hassle. Rears have lots of room.

This is mine with 15's up front and the original MSS kit on max low in front. I have the updated kit here ready to fit to close the front gap just a half an inch or so and I might raise the rear 10mm
Yeah that's what I am hearing - it's an easy fix.

It looks damn good dude! I imagine when you drop the front a tad more and raise the rear, it'll look awesome too. I kind of like the height of the front of yours now. I'll prob go with something like how you have the front now and raise the rear a tad more from where you have it. I just don't want to hit my OEM, MP front lip … lol.

Nice shots man! Beautiful car.
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00