home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-17-2022, 12:39 AM   #1
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Loud metal scraping noise

Today I almost had a heart attack. Only have 400 miles on my g80 and while I was driving I hear a very loud metal scrapping noise from underneath the car. The noise eventually went away and when I went back to check the road for anything that might of got stuck and fell off there was nothing.

I’ve read on the f80 forums that this is most likely from a rock getting stuck between the rotors and shield. I youtube’d it and it does sound very similar.

The car drives fine, no more noises or error message.

Anyone ever experience this?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 04:39 AM   #2
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Did you inspect the rotor area for any scratches? Hopefully no damage, I wouldn't imagine there is any but could be some scratches which will solve the mystery
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

This very thing happened to me with my Mercedes-Benz C450. Exactly as you described. It was a horrible screeching noise that only stopped when I stopped the car. I called my dealer in a panic and he told me that since I was in a parking lot to go backwards and forwards a few times and the noise should stop. Just as he said it did. It had to of been a rock in the rotor. Next service they inspected everything and there was no damage. According to my service advisor this happens often.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #4
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 X Dravit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse85 View Post
Today I almost had a heart attack. Only have 400 miles on my g80 and while I was driving I hear a very loud metal scrapping noise from underneath the car. The noise eventually went away and when I went back to check the road for anything that might of got stuck and fell off there was nothing.

I’ve read on the f80 forums that this is most likely from a rock getting stuck between the rotors and shield. I youtube’d it and it does sound very similar.

This same exact thing happened to me yesterday. 200 miles on the car. I freaked out and a few hard brakes it stopped!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #5
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Should of made a video of the sound! If you look at the rotor disc sometimes you can see a groove made from a pebble or something (if it happened on outboard pad). It can sound pretty horrible if it gets wedged in there good.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Should of made a video of the sound! If you look at the rotor disc sometimes you can see a groove made from a pebble or something (if it happened on outboard pad). It can sound pretty horrible if it gets wedged in there good.

here's a video of my car

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VeEtwZ95JlU
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulisraddd View Post
This same exact thing happened to me yesterday. 200 miles on the car. I freaked out and a few hard brakes it stopped!
Although it sucks kind of reassured I am not the only one experiencing this. Mine went away after I made a right turn. I am hoping it was a rock in the rotor. There is loose gravel everywhere due to construction.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #8
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Did you inspect the rotor area for any scratches? Hopefully no damage, I wouldn't imagine there is any but could be some scratches which will solve the mystery
I couldn't yet. I am taking my car in for the break in service next week so Ill just have them take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #9
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Although it sucks kind of reassured I am not the only one experiencing this. Mine went away after I made a right turn. I am hoping it was a rock in the rotor. There is loose gravel everywhere due to construction.
Haha I feel the same way. Did it sound like mine?
2025 IOMG G82- Ordered
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #10
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Had no time. Was stuck in traffic and was freaking out that I didn't even think about recording lol. I was trying to just find a place to stop my car. By the time I turned the noise went away
Appreciate 1
Grumpy514624.50
      02-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #11
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haha I feel the same way. Did it sound like mine?
Very similar. It sounded like metal grinding on something. But mine was continuous for like 10 seconds until it went away.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #12
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Quote:
Oh wow That's not the noise I'm use to hearing when its a pebble stuck in the brake caliper. Usually its more of a scraping/scratching noise. Yours was more of a groaning noise/vibration. It must be brake related though since it did it on deceleration.

Perhaps a glazed over rotor/pad causing a vibration/noise? Sounds like it.

Do you have steel disc or CCB?

Sounds identical to this guys car.. my money is the brake pads not 100% bedded in. Glazing causing a vibration which then shakes the brake dust shield perfectly to make that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...M3+brake+noise
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 07:43 AM   #13
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:

Yes, mine did exactly the same about 2 weeks ago - car has only done 1,500 miles and I also sh4t myself as I thought I'd run over a large metal object

I was waiting for an electric gate to open and the car crept forward at 1-2mph when it made the noise, sounded like something metal being dragged along. I was about 50% of full lock as I was entering from the left.

I immediately stopped and reversed back as I thought something was stuck under the car and it did it again. I got out and checked under the car - nothing.

Got back in, carefully pulled away and up the drive - no noise. It never did it before and not done it since.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

So this morning same thing happened again. I can now be sure it is rocks going in the rotor. My neighborhood is full of rocks due to new construction. Made some hard jerky stops and noise went away immediately.

All this being said, how bad is it for the rotors when rocks go in?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM4 View Post
Yes, mine did exactly the same about 2 weeks ago - car has only done 1,500 miles and I also sh4t myself as I thought I'd run over a large metal object

I was waiting for an electric gate to open and the car crept forward at 1-2mph when it made the noise, sounded like something metal being dragged along. I was about 50% of full lock as I was entering from the left.

I immediately stopped and reversed back as I thought something was stuck under the car and it did it again. I got out and checked under the car - nothing.

Got back in, carefully pulled away and up the drive - no noise. It never did it before and not done it since.
Lolol!! Dude!! Exact same scenario as me this morning. Happened while I was waiting for the gate to open as I was creeping out. Wasn’t as freaked as this is the second time. I feel like the rotor area is not covered adequately. This has never happened to me before on a non bmw/m3
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #16
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lolol!! Dude!! Exact same scenario as me this morning. Happened while I was waiting for the gate to open as I was creeping out. Wasn’t as freaked as this is the second time. I feel like the rotor area is not covered adequately. This has never happened to me before on a non bmw/m3
The noise came back!!! Ughh
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:50 AM   #17
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's weird eh? I had a stone stuck between the rotor and the shield on my Impreza STi years ago and had to have it taken apart to get it out

Bit strange if this does it as often as it sounds like it does, but it clears itself so easily!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's weird eh? I had a stone stuck between the rotor and the shield on my Impreza STi years ago and had to have it taken apart to get it out

Bit strange if this does it as often as it sounds like it does, but it clears itself so easily!
Yea it is weird. I can't think of anything else other than it being rocks getting stuck. I youtube'd it and sounds exactly the same. Whenever I drive on smooth clean roads I have no issues. The two times it has happened was when I was driving over lots of loose gravel. But yea the fact that it clears easy probably means it can also get in there easy.
Unless of course I am dealing with a completely different issue which I am hoping it's not.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #19
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mines been good for 2 days and it just happened again after pulling into work. Sooo annoying!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 03:03 PM   #20
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mines been good for 2 days and it just happened again after pulling into work. Sooo annoying!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #21
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer sending flatbed on Monday to drop off a loaner and take my car for first service and to inspect the brakes. I had a damn appointment to lower the car, spacers and other goodies. Good thing I'm sorting this out before my suspension work. Hopefully they don't say anyhting about my active mid pipe lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 11:51 PM   #22
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Dealer sending flatbed on Monday to drop off a loaner and take my car for first service and to inspect the brakes. I had a damn appointment to lower the car, spacers and other goodies. Good thing I'm sorting this out before my suspension work. Hopefully they don't say anyhting about my active mid pipe lol

This is the noise we normally associate with a rock being stuck between the rotor and rotor shield - https://flight1090.com/forums/WhatsThisNoise.mp4

A rock pebble inside the rotor vein would be very rare and would make noise constantly. A rock pebble being stuck between the brake pad and rotor would result in quite a bit of physical damage to the rotor in addition to noise.

That's not a rock in the rotor. I think on the FB group I posted that it sounds like a brake pad was installed backwards or is somehow making contact with the rotor very unevenly.