home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Hello all, I've noticed my 2022 g80 x drive's brakes squeak a lot in the city stop-and-go driving (I daily). This was something I noticed literally from the day I picked up the car and called the dealer who told me this is expected as weather is colder and these brakes are a high performance variety (not carbon ceramics). I am just wanting to know if there is anyone who is experiencing something similar or if anyone might be able to provide expert opinion on this issue. I have not felt any decreased braking power and the car stops great!
      02-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EEE View Post
Hello all, I've noticed my 2022 g80 x drive's brakes squeak a lot in the city stop-and-go driving (I daily). This was something I noticed literally from the day I picked up the car and called the dealer who told me this is expected as weather is colder and these brakes are a high performance variety (not carbon ceramics). I am just wanting to know if there is anyone who is experiencing something similar or if anyone might be able to provide expert opinion on this issue. I have not felt any decreased braking power and the car stops great!
Thread # 9001 on squeaky brakes. You're daily driving it. You need to daily drive it like you're on the Autobahn, every once in a while. Not saying to break the speed limit, but a few runs from 150-0 in Mexico, would do wonders. Pressure wash the brakes, get all of that fine brake dust out of there, and out from between the calipers. Get yourself an iron remover, like Iron-X. Poke the drilled rotors and get the brake dust out of the holes in the rotors. The fine, almost microscopic dust, almost light enough to be smoke, it whats harmonizing, and making the sound, they get almost a glaze on them. It's like putting our thumbs together, with a blade of grass in between them, and blowing on it. Hammer on them, and they will get better. I have 3,500 miles on my CCBs, which are worse than the standard brakes for noise, and I dont have any.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 02-15-2022 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Did you do a proper bedding of the brakes??? If not and you have been coast braking, you have built up some glaze and thus noise.

When I first took/take delivery (I try to do this with all my cars) I found a nice open straight where I could run the car up in speed and really apply brake force and do this over and over to bed the brakes properly. No fancy footing here, but heavy duty pressure at speed.

This process helps reduce glazing.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2022, 09:33 PM   #4
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

Quote:
I'm having the same issue with squeaking. Thanks for the recommendations. Going to try this during the next wash
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #5
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Thread # 9001 on squeaky brakes. You're daily driving it. You need to daily drive it like you're on the Autobahn, every once in a while. Not saying to break the speed limit, but a few runs from 150-0 in Mexico, would do wonders. Pressure wash the brakes, get all of that fine brake dust out of there, and out from between the calipers. Get yourself an iron remover, like Iron-X. Poke the drilled rotors and get the brake dust out of the holes in the rotors. The fine, almost microscopic dust, almost light enough to be smoke, it whats harmonizing, and making the sound, they get almost a glaze on them. It's like putting our thumbs together, with a blade of grass in between them, and blowing on it. Hammer on them, and they will get better. I have 3,500 miles on my CCBs, which are worse than the standard brakes for noise, and I dont have any.
Thank you for the advice and the explanation. I am driving almost like the autobahn on a semi-regular basis and even applying the brakes with good force.
I power wash the wheels, tires, rotors weekly and sometimes more frequently. I'll definitely have to get the brush and clean the holes in the drilled rotors. Also, I drove it about 180mi today and definitely opened it up with some good brake force in between and didn't appreciate any squeaking then but did once I got back into the city. Braking power still not affected
      02-15-2022, 10:14 PM   #6
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the advice and the explanation. I am driving almost like the autobahn on a semi-regular basis and even applying the brakes with good force.
I power wash the wheels, tires, rotors weekly and sometimes more frequently. I'll definitely have to get the brush and clean the holes in the drilled rotors. Also, I drove it about 180mi today and definitely opened it up with some good brake force in between and didn't appreciate any squeaking then but did once I got back into the city. Braking power still not affected
Ok, well, at least you can rule that out. There isn't anything wrong with them, it's a combination of them needing to be deglazed and cleaned.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #7
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Did you do a proper bedding of the brakes??? If not and you have been coast braking, you have built up some glaze and thus noise.

When I first took/take delivery (I try to do this with all my cars) I found a nice open straight where I could run the car up in speed and really apply brake force and do this over and over to bed the brakes properly. No fancy footing here, but heavy duty pressure at speed.

This process helps reduce glazing.
I might need to do this with greater force and frequency. I can't say I've ever driven with the intent of bedding breaks on any car. New concept to me.
      02-15-2022, 10:17 PM   #8
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, well, at least you can rule that out. There isn't anything wrong with them, it's a combination of them needing to be deglazed and cleaned.
I hope so. I haven't cleaned them to that level of detail yet so I'm hoping it'll stop the squeaking. It's a ver unpleasant sound.
      02-15-2022, 10:19 PM   #9
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmooth0101 View Post
Quote:
I'm having the same issue with squeaking. Thanks for the recommendations. Going to try this during the next wash
Would you let me know if that corrects your issue?