2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225xe  [0.00]
Missing iX optional equipment? E.g. Sport seats

Hi

does anyone understand why iX and especially M60 cannot be ordered with

1. round, proper steering wheel, like e.g. i4 M50
2. sports or M-Sport seats?
3. Night vision

I was really surprised that a car which has a M-Performance badge do not have these equipment options at all?

I have had these features in multiple BMWs now, also on latest G05. Do I need to order P*rsche or A*di to be able to spec proper seats?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
BMW hasn't offered Night Vision (which I have and love) on any model since 2020 in the US, and I don't expect it will in the future. Can't speak to BMW's corporate thinking on other options, but excluding options is common on any of their models, even similar models. Aftermarket is always a costly possibility. What baffles me most about some of their builds is excluding options because of a particular color of paint on otherwise identical cars.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
The steering wheel shape is directly tied to the design and operating philosophy of the curved displays, and also to aid in eventual level 3 autonomous driving (according to BMW press materials).
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
wilho
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e -20, 225xe -16

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
BMW hasn't offered Night Vision (which I have and love) on any model since 2020 in the US, and I don't expect it will in the future. Can't speak to BMW's corporate thinking on other options, but excluding options is common on any of their models, even similar models. Aftermarket is always a costly possibility. What baffles me most about some of their builds is excluding options because of a particular color of paint on otherwise identical cars.
it's really pity if they drop it out completely. You can still spec night vision to EU G05 X5. I'm using it every weekend, especially during winter time. Avoided hitting a moose - search wilho.s on youtube
Paladin15566.50
      02-15-2022, 06:25 AM   #5
wilho
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
The steering wheel shape is directly tied to the design and operating philosophy of the curved displays, and also to aid in eventual level 3 autonomous driving (according to BMW press materials).
This is just a marketing story - they have the same display and electronics in i4 and also in 2-series with proper round M-Sport wheels, so sorry this is not "real" reason.

Maybe iX sells well enough without real M-Sports equipment, but I'm honestly not impressed about adding the M-Sports badge to this model.

Do you guys know who to contact at BMW HQ or where to give customer feedback?
      02-15-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

They also seem to add more options as time passes. My guess is model year 1.5 or 2 they will have all kinds of things not available at launch. New colors, seats, etc..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilho View Post
This is just a marketing story - they have the same display and electronics in i4 and also in 2-series with proper round M-Sport wheels, so sorry this is not "real" reason.

Maybe iX sells well enough without real M-Sports equipment, but I'm honestly not impressed about adding the M-Sports badge to this model.

Do you guys know who to contact at BMW HQ or where to give customer feedback?
Same displays maybe, but not the same hardware capabilities related to Level 3 autonomous driving. The idea is that L3 will be enabled via software updates in which case the design choice may be justified.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #8
Evrim
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive 50

iX steering wheel shape is really cool to drive. Viewing it from videos and experiencing is really different I can say.

This is a kind of design language used in iX series and same for the seats. Seats are already looking sportive and different than any other previous versions. Maybe in the future there can be some alternatives, I don’t know, but this is already a new design.

Regarding the options like night vision etc., I may agree a bit about the negative comments. However, cameras are also practical and easy to see during dark weather, especially with the panoramic views (which really makes it easy to see), of course without any thermal signature etc.

In my opinion, the iX should be considered as a complete experience and I strongly suggest a long test drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:39 AM   #9
wilho
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrim View Post
iX steering wheel shape is really cool to drive. Viewing it from videos and experiencing is really different I can say.

This is a kind of design language used in iX series and same for the seats. Seats are already looking sportive and different than any other previous versions. Maybe in the future there can be some alternatives, I don’t know, but this is already a new design.

Regarding the options like night vision etc., I may agree a bit about the negative comments. However, cameras are also practical and easy to see during dark weather, especially with the panoramic views (which really makes it easy to see), of course without any thermal signature etc.

In my opinion, the iX should be considered as a complete experience and I strongly suggest a long test drive.
Hi, I understand this is a new design, but still wondering why BMW is going so much away from the sporty car design.

Maybe I need to wait for next X5 to get all necessary accessories. I'm just afraid the night vision might be gone, but luckily Audi has it still.

M60 would be a great deal, but I'll wait if it could be specced with proper seats and steering wheel. The non-round streering wheel is not an option if you want to drive a bit sideways on icy roads that we have here for 5 months per year.

I have made a test drive with iX 40, I didn't like the suspension compared to current X5 air suspension, but still waiting to do proper long test drive with 50 or M60. Actually i4 was a better package, other than the noise isolation and missing B&W audio.
      04-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #10
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
The non-round streering wheel is not an option if you want to drive a bit sideways on icy roads that we have here for 5 months per year.
I disagree that the shape of the wheel would be problematic for doing some slides. It is round enough that you would not be messing up because of it. Sure it won't be as good as a truly round wheel, but not really a problem IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Hi, I understand this is a new design, but still wondering why BMW is going so much away from the sporty car design.
Well, it is an SUV after all. You won't be driving it the same way as a sport coupe.

Quote:
Maybe I need to wait for next X5 to get all necessary accessories. I'm just afraid the night vision might be gone, but luckily Audi has it still.
You seem to be forgetting that the iX is an EV. The x5 is not. That rules out x5 for most who would consider iX. All things are not equal here.

Quote:
M60 would be a great deal, but I'll wait if it could be specced with proper seats and steering wheel. The non-round streering wheel is not an option if you want to drive a bit sideways on icy roads that we have here for 5 months per year.
Have you driven the car to see if it's really an issue? In person it presents quite differently than in the photos, and it's also much smaller in person.

Quote:
I have made a test drive with iX 40, I didn't like the suspension compared to current X5 air suspension, but still waiting to do proper long test drive with 50 or M60. Actually i4 was a better package, other than the noise isolation and missing B&W audio.
I think waiting may be the best option since you are looking for something very unique.

Last edited by NomoTesla; 04-12-2022 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 04:12 PM   #12
Evrim
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive 50

Quote:

iX has its own unique design. Sporty look may be a kind of relative opinion. Because for my understanding, iX has also a sporty design. Maybe we can say a mixture.

In fact, I can feel the sport performance on a highway, when pressing the pedal even only with 40% and I can also feel that vehicle is lowering down on higher speeds.

I never had an X5, but had chance to test iX40 and iX50 for couple of days. Even the suspension on iX40 was very pleasant. These issues again can depend on expectations. At the end, my choice was iX50 with air suspension.

In general, being able to drive with comfort, and when necessary, having the opportunity for a sporty performance is always my preference.

I don’t want to repeat too much but non-round steering wheel is one of my favorite features on this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:40 PM   #13
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
BMW wants you to keep your hands at 9 and 3 at all times. They don't even want you to shuffle steer, according to their M driving instructors. I've got a video somewhere of an instructor explaining how to drift and he almost exclusively has his hands at 9 and 3 without even thinking about it.

From that perspective the fact that the wheel isn't round shouldn't matter. In reality, people often don't drive that way so it could be an annoyance to some. Although if the point is that it defeats sportiness, well take it from the M school instructors, it shouldn't.

I think the i4 gets a pass because it is basically on the G series platform and has the matching wheel. What's interesting though is they complain the round wheel blocks the instrument cluster, and you can see the gauges match the shape of the iX wheel!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #14
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Here you go, take a look at the first video, how the instructor is glued to 9 and 3 on the skid pad while drifting. He doesn't really let the wheel slip through his hands and he doesn't shuffle. This style of performance steering they recommend should be completely compatible with the iX wheel.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502338
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #15
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
What baffles me most about some of their builds is excluding options because of a particular color of paint on otherwise identical cars.
I know when I was looking into getting an individual paint color, you lose automatic lane changes as a result. This very likely has to do with how the feature is doing the verification of whether a car is obstructing your lane or not and BMW simply does not want to have to tweak the config, and more importantly test it to certify it is working as expected for each possible color. Like if it uses the side cameras in this process (no idea if they do), there would be some logic to recognise the side of your own car and the color could be used in this.

The net result sucks for us as they really shouldn't have this restriction but I can understand why it might be the case. I wonder if people who wrap their cars using different colors have any issues...
Appreciate 2
Paladin15566.50
sahajesh2295.00
      04-12-2022, 08:59 PM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I have a feeling the Germans are dropping features to keep costs down to compete with Tesla. Also note the lack of a proper center console, the lack of a full leather option, the lack of rear and side sunshades, the lack of a proper overhead sunshade, the cheap scratchy plastic at the bottom of the doors. This car looks and feels pretty minimalist to say a fully loaded X7. I just watched this video, and I wish the IX interior was this rich.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
I know when I was looking into getting an individual paint color, you lose automatic lane changes as a result. This very likely has to do with how the feature is doing the verification of whether a car is obstructing your lane or not and BMW simply does not want to have to tweak the config, and more importantly test it to certify it is working as expected for each possible color. Like if it uses the side cameras in this process (no idea if they do), there would be some logic to recognise the side of your own car and the color could be used in this.

The net result sucks for us as they really shouldn't have this restriction but I can understand why it might be the case. I wonder if people who wrap their cars using different colors have any issues...
I recall somewhere in the past that it was objectively demonstrated that the paint color had nothing to do with the operation of any of the safety or automated features. Exhibit 1 - other manufacturers used similar light or dark colors with similar features (operating in a similar manner - the fact being that chips and software come from the same parts bin between multiple manufacturers), with apparently no issues, and Exhibit 2 - BMW sold cars in the EU with features unavailable in the US (and vice versa), with the identical color that excluded those features on the other side of the pond. And Exhibit 3 - the same electronic features excluded in one model would be available in a different model with the identical color. It was to all appearances BMW just being, well, BMW. It could reasonably be that it has something to do with the order of painting and putting various modules in the cars at Spartanburg, and maybe the necessity of swapping out colors in the mix, but what electronic feature gets installed in which car is more apparently unrelated to the exterior color of the car, and more related to some otherwise inscrutable Teutonic reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:41 AM   #18
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I have a feeling the Germans are dropping features to keep costs down to compete with Tesla. Also note the lack of a proper center console, the lack of a full leather option, the lack of rear and side sunshades, the lack of a proper overhead sunshade, the cheap scratchy plastic at the bottom of the doors. This car looks and feels pretty minimalist to say a fully loaded X7. I just watched this video, and I wish the IX interior was this rich.

Hopefully this is either a year 1 choice or worse, a conscious design to keep it spartan.

Either way, after my iX40 drive was over, I was happy to get back into my loaded X5 40i, far more comfortable and many more useful conveniences.

I'll probably get a MY next I think - if I'm gonna go spartan, why pay a BMW premium? Then I'll either return to the fold for the NK BEV X5 or go for the BEV RRS.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:53 AM   #19
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:

And people say the iX is ugly…that front end is awful. And the interior is just meh. Nothing more special than either my 6series or X5. Also what do you consider full leather? The iX has leather pretty much everywhere when selecting the Amido or Castanea interiors.

Last edited by hugo_nz; 04-13-2022 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:33 AM   #20
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Don't share your feeling at all.
Tesla Model X is already more expensive than iX. And I think iX's main competitor is EQE SUV and e-tron.

The open centre console is definitely not a cost cutting measure. It is by design, and it probably costs them more in the re-design to clear everything out.

And the large electrochromic sunroof definitely costs more than the traditional overhead sunshade. Other features like panel heating, front and rear camera cleaning etc don't sound like cost cutting to me.

The interior of iX reflects BMW's new design philosophy for its EV. 7 series and X7 would always be more luxurious to justify their price premium. I think iX's interior is one of the best as is, and I am not missing anything from my current X5.

Last edited by nosnoop; 04-13-2022 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 04:02 AM   #21
wilho
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Here you go, take a look at the first video, how the instructor is glued to 9 and 3 on the skid pad while drifting. He doesn't really let the wheel slip through his hands and he doesn't shuffle. This style of performance steering they recommend should be completely compatible with the iX wheel.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502338
I'm referring to driving on ICE, not on tarmac or track as your reference. This is better reference, pls look at the steering wheel. You need to be able to spin the wheel fast

An I know iX is not meant to be an ice drifting machine, but if I need to do it with my X5 why not
      04-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #22
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
I'll probably get a MY next I think - if I'm gonna go spartan, why pay a BMW premium? Then I'll either return to the fold for the NK BEV X5 or go for the BEV RRS.
Have you driven a MY? It's not even in the same league as an iX. It's noisier, clunkier, poorly built, interior quality is meh, and the suspension cannot adequately handle the vehicle's power resulting in poor handling. You haven't met spartan until you've been in a M3/Y. The center screen is a communist abomination and the UI not properly designed for vehicular use. Try hitting any of the screen buttons while driving...

If one is an engineering nut and obsesses over the things they cannot see, go with a Tesla. If, on the other hand, you value the actual driving experience, driving dynamics, and quality of the experience, Tesla doesn't even make the list.
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2295.00