E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DSC,ABS Lights up - No voltage

02-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
Frytter
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 i325

DSC,ABS Lights up - No voltage

Hello, please help, when i ride 3. lights come up (ABS,DSC and red HAND BRAKE) so i use diagnostic ISTA, and see bad rear left wheel speed sensor, in INPA see him not working too. Today replaced him, check inpa and sensor working now but lights are after 18km ride still up. And when i scan for error codes geting 5DF4-Wiring supply voltage, battery have 12.5V few hours after ride and when starting car he go to 9.8V, and after to 14V... so i think is good, but when i go to INPA Temperature and voltage, see on Voltage URef 0V and on Voltage terminal_30 too 0V, where can be problem please? any idea please?

Have E90 325i 2005 2.5L 160Kw

Sorry for my bad english.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:30 AM   #2
thalastdon1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Charge or replace battery. 9.8v is too low on the start. If your starter is on its last leg, it could cause voltage issues as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

How old is your battery?
      02-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Frytter
Rep

Hello, thanks for response, maybe you are right just test battery and here are results....
https://ibb.co/pxY72Px
https://ibb.co/3kkrnWF
https://ibb.co/MGfh9r7

I charged her like 2-3 months back so idk how Is that possible ...
And dont know how much Is old her, was in car when i buyed car.
Will charge her and give info after 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frytter View Post
... 3 lights come up (ABS,DSC and red HAND BRAKE) so i use diagnostic ISTA, and see bad rear left wheel speed sensor, in INPA see him not working too. Today replaced him, check inpa and sensor working now but lights are after 18km ride still up. [Were 3 warning lights OFF until 18km?] And when i scan for error codes geting 5DF4-Wiring supply voltage [Read FF Data for 5DF4], battery have 12.5V few hours after ride and when starting car he go to 9.8V, and after to 14V... so i think is good, but when i go to INPA Temperature and voltage, see on Voltage URef 0V and on Voltage terminal_30 too 0V, where can be problem please?...Have E90 325i 2005 2.5L. Sorry for my bad english.
Your English is BETTER than many in US, and WAAAY better than my "Czech".
Napětí = Spannung = Voltage. That's about as far as I go.

Your Battery is NOT the problem. Your "Napětí modulu OBD" or OBD Module Voltage (Red Graph Line) was 12.6V BEFORE Start Button pressed. That Voltage dropped to 10.4V during starter cranking. A 2-Volt "pokles napětí" or Voltage Drop is "normální"/ normal during Starter Cranking. The DURATION/ "doba trvání" of starter cranking was ALSO normal, ~ 1+ second.

Summary per your Graph: Your battery had proper voltage (12.6V) BEFORE starting, had enough voltage to Crank Starter (2V Voltage Drop), engine started in 1.5 second or less, and Alternator began charging at 13.8V+ in ~ 6 seconds. ALL NORMAL.

The code related to your DSC Voltage concerns is "5DF4", and here is the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition of that Code for your DSC_87 Module:
5DF4 | DSC: Battery voltage too low; open circuit | dsc_87

If the engine operates normally at all times, and there are NO other Modules with Low Voltage Codes, then it would appear to me that your Battery, Alternator, DME, and Power Supply to other systems are ALL OK.

If ONLY the DSC Module (A65a in ISTA Wiring Diagram, SSP) has a low voltage issue, then the problem would seem to be in the Power Supply to the DSC Module. Attached to NEXT Post are ScreenPrints from ISTA showing (1) DSC Supply, (2) Location & (3) Connector View of DSC Connector X18303.

Note that the Primary Voltage Supply for the DSC Module (including the ABS Pump) is via X18303/1 & X18303/32, or Pins #1 & #32 of Connector X18303. Don't forget to examine & test the GROUND connections (Brown wires) at pins #16 & #47.

IF the attached ScreenPrints are NOT correct for your vehicle, OR you don't know HOW to view those Screens on YOUR ISTA Installation, please let us know, and provide Last-7 Characters of YOUR VIN.
Hint: Text Search > Search string: "A65a"

Either INPA or ISTA will show you "Freeze Frame Data" (FF Data) or "Details" of fault 5DF4, which SHOULD include the Actual Voltage at the moment the Fault Code was saved in DSC Memory. If you need help displaying FF Data, please let us know. In ISTA, it's the "Details Tab" which appears when you "Double-click" a particular Fault row in "Fault Memory".

Also, either INPA or ISTA will display Live Data from the DSC.
INPA: Since I have AWD and a DSC/DXC rather than your DSC_87, I won't confuse things by listing "Menu Paths" for mine which are DIFFERENT from yours. INPA shows "0" Pump Voltage with engine idling and brake applied (80bar sensor pressure value), 14.6V KL15 & 14.6V at Valve Relay. That's on a system with NO DSC/DXC Fault & NO Warning Lights.

ISTA:
1) will show Brake Pressure; ~ .55bar when NOT pressing pedal; ~ 50bar when pressing pedal firmly. ISTA > DSC Module > Diagnosis Scan > Pressure Sensor > Pressure via brake pedal > Read State.
2) allows activation of pump for 5 seconds, pump motor running under those conditions is audible. ISTA > DSC Module > Component Triggering > Pump Motor > Trigger Component
George
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Three ISTA ScreenPrints showing DSC wiring, Line ID, and X18303 Location & Connector view for 2005 325I EC, per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:56 AM   #7
Frytter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Three ISTA ScreenPrints showing DSC wiring, Line ID, and X18303 Location & Connector view for 2005 325I EC, per prior post.
George
Hi, thanks for your big response 😅, yes light was whole ride up, even when i delete that error code he come up again, right after i move, right now charging battery anyway was low ... After check that connector
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #8
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Wow gbalthrop, makes me realize I need ista. I am doing an E91 N54 swap from AWD to Rwd and I think my donor car DSC pump/module I'm using instead of my DXC module is dead. I've got Inpa and and Protools and getting fault 5DF1 along with some other codes including ADB5 and I can't energize the pump.

I have INPA and didn't realize I could capture that data there for codes. Since I got Protools I haven't really gone back to it.

Between Newtis and all the other stuff I'm probably wasting time vs just using Ista

Last edited by TyroneShoelaces; 02-03-2022 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
... I've got Inpa and and Protools and getting fault 5DF1 along with some other codes including ADB5 and I can't energize the pump. I have INPA and didn't realize I could capture that data there for codes. Since I got Protools I haven't really gone back to it.
INPA provides basically same FF Data (sometimes MORE) as/than ISTA, depending upon Module/ Control Unit at issue. For instance, in DME, you get the MOST Details, FF Data, etc. when selecting "F4 Fault Memory > F1 Read Error Memory > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data.

The SAME level of detail is NOT available in the DSC or DSC/DXC Module Fault Memory. EITHER INPA or ISTA can do a LOT more than just read Fault Codes. I don't use ProTool, but I'd be disappointed in BimmerGeeks if it could NOT do a LOT more than read codes as well.
George
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #10
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep

Quote:
INPA provides basically same FF Data (sometimes MORE) as/than ISTA, depending upon Module/ Control Unit at issue. For instance, in DME, you get the MOST Details, FF Data, etc. when selecting "F4 Fault Memory > F1 Read Error Memory > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data.

The SAME level of detail is NOT available in the DSC or DSC/DXC Module Fault Memory. EITHER INPA or ISTA can do a LOT more than just read Fault Codes. I don't use ProTool, but I'd be disappointed in BimmerGeeks if it could NOT do a LOT more than read codes as well.
George
Protools claims to be able to do everything INPA and NCSexpert. I can change VO, factory code, read codes, does lots of coding, it just doesn't have all the troubleshooting and wiring support all in one package. I bought it because NCSexpert wouldn't connect with "cannot read VIN" messages and I was in a timecrunch to get some coding done trying to clear airbag warnings before rebuilt inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #11
Frytter
Rep

Adding some info from ISTA

When try use pump motor test get this error...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
... I am doing an E91 N54 swap from AWD to Rwd and I think my donor car DSC pump/module I'm using instead of my DXC module is dead.[NOT sure what your concept of "dead" is. To me, that suggests NO communication. If you are getting 5DF1 Fault Code, that indicates you can communicate with the DSC and it is reporting a Fault Code in Error Memory, so at least the Low-Amp Fuse is powering the Electronics. However, there are two other fuses that power the Pump, the Sensors, etc. That 5DF1 Fault suggests to me that the Pump is NOT getting proper power or Ground via the connector (assuming you NOW have Module DSC_87).] I've got Inpa and and Protools and getting fault 5DF1 along with some other codes including ADB5 and I can't energize the pump...
Is "5DF1" a typo? I don't find such a code in either ISTA or BMW Fault Code Lookup.

I would begin by using INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification to see if you can CONNECT to all Modules in the vehicle, AND to get the "SGBD" or Variant of each module, particularly any such as the DSC which you have added. Is that DSC_87 which is replacing DXC_90?

While there, View & SAVE (Post here) ALL Fault Codes in All Modules, using INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules. If you have DSC Fault Codes, the DSC SGBD/Variant, and INPA which you can use to connect to the DSC (or any OTHER Module), you can probably SOLVE the puzzle WITHOUT throwing parts.

It MAY be an issue with the DSC Connector. It MAY be that the wiring for original DSC/DXC and the Replacement DSC' are NOT compatible. The ISTA wiring diagrams would show your "Factory DXC" wiring (harness) and if you know the year/model the DSC came from, we can perhaps get some clues. I attach a pdf, "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" which shows examples of the two INPA screens I'm suggesting that you view, and also HOW to save ScreenPrints of those to attach here.

Please provide Last-7 characters of your Vehicle, and model info for Donor DSC. I assume you are attempting "plug & play" with replacement DSC? If so, the "Information" and "Identification" screens when INPA connects to DSC would be helpful.

I have NO information on the internal circuitry of either DSC or DXC, so have NO idea whether that is a factor or NOT. Were you having any issues with the DSC/DXC Functions BEFORE you swapped in the DSC? WHY do you believe such a swap is needed, or Possible?

I've never taken the time to think through the issues such a swap MAY present, so hopefully YOU are WAAAY ahead of me.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 61 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 07:00 AM   #13
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is "5DF1" a typo? I don't find such a code in either ISTA or BMW Fault Code Lookup.

I would begin by using INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification to see if you can CONNECT to all Modules in the vehicle, AND to get the "SGBD" or Variant of each module, particularly any such as the DSC which you have added. Is that DSC_87 which is replacing DXC_90?

While there, View & SAVE (Post here) ALL Fault Codes in All Modules, using INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules. If you have DSC Fault Codes, the DSC SGBD/Variant, and INPA which you can use to connect to the DSC (or any OTHER Module), you can probably SOLVE the puzzle WITHOUT throwing parts.

It MAY be an issue with the DSC Connector. It MAY be that the wiring for original DSC/DXC and the Replacement DSC' are NOT compatible. The ISTA wiring diagrams would show your "Factory DXC" wiring (harness) and if you know the year/model the DSC came from, we can perhaps get some clues. I attach a pdf, "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" which shows examples of the two INPA screens I'm suggesting that you view, and also HOW to save ScreenPrints of those to attach here.

Please provide Last-7 characters of your Vehicle, and model info for Donor DSC. I assume you are attempting "plug & play" with replacement DSC? If so, the "Information" and "Identification" screens when INPA connects to DSC would be helpful.

I have NO information on the internal circuitry of either DSC or DXC, so have NO idea whether that is a factor or NOT. Were you having any issues with the DSC/DXC Functions BEFORE you swapped in the DSC? WHY do you believe such a swap is needed, or Possible?

I've never taken the time to think through the issues such a swap MAY present, so hopefully YOU are WAAAY ahead of me.
George
OK I'll post here maybe it will provide some help to OP since we both have DSC issues and you're obviously extremely knowledgable.

I'm not the first to do the awd to rwd swap, and while I'm fumbling my way on the coding some I'll get it sorted. I believe I have a connection issue with the connector. I used Newtis for the pinouts for 335 donor and 328xi wagon to repin my connector. The 5df1 connector faulty error, combined with a situation where if I put the blue wire retainer into the connector it won't lock into the dsc module. Without the blue wire retainer it locks down in and that's how I've been testing the car. It defenitely connects mostly as I get some communication as I can read wheel speed sensors and my wipers don't start running like the do when it's unplugged etc..My concern is that my donor DSC pump is an 07 and that is the change over year on a lot of electrical. My car per early build date should have had the bolted diff but it does not. I need to look at Newtis again and make sure I have the right pinout.

I spent a few minutes last night (time is very hard to come by lately) and did some testing and have good grounds and permanent power on terminal 1, 32, and switched 17.

My DSC donor was VF50122
My current wagon it's swapped into is A543276

Thanks for the INPA instructions, I just watched a few vids to try and figure out how to use it and bailed once NCSexpert wouldn't work and got protools. Screen shots of my protools errors. I'll launch INPA again this weekend.

Name:  Screenshot_20220203-202628.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  88.1 KB

Last edited by TyroneShoelaces; 02-04-2022 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #14
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

This is a dumb question but do you have ignition on? I’m sure you do but I thought I’d ask. I could be wrong but I believe it needs to be on to test the pump, or you’ll receive a conditions not correct error.
      02-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #15
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
This is a dumb question but do you have ignition on? I’m sure you do but I thought I’d ask. I could be wrong but I believe it needs to be on to test the pump, or you’ll receive a conditions not correct error.
Yeah ingnition on, needed to connect with protools or INPA. Went out at lunch to do a log to make sure all my wheel speed sensors that I swapped to the rwd ones were all communicating after I looked at the error messages from protools in my previous post about the dsc no message 0370.
I did a log and I'm not sure what wheel speed sensors should report but pretty weird how the chart breaks up. I wonder if it's connection issues.

https://datazap.me/u/n54wagen/log-16...12&mark=NaN-55
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:05 PM   #16
Eoin92
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330i n53

Similar situation with my 330i

I've been following a lot of these threads and working on my own dme relay / lack of abs communication.

Currently I've bypassed the dmerelay by powering the f37 f38 f39.

Is this enough to do to bypass the dme relay or should I be hardwiring the relay to closed permanently on a bench?

Appreciate the help here as I don't think anyone has detailed how to do this on one of these threads so far
Appreciate 0