BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2022, 05:16 AM   #1
tommyb007
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Compatible bike rack with iX3

Hi

Does anyone have experience with a compatible bike rack for the iX3? Ideally I'm looking for boot rack as I don't want to pay for a tow bar or roof bars in addition to the bike rack itself. But I have heard that some don't fit due to the extended spoiler and straps putting pressure on this.

Any advice appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #2
fco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring

Hi,

I've been using this SeaSucker Talon on my 5 series for some years now. Should work fine on my iX3 on order as well. Even works fine with my e-MTB (20+ kg).

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:46 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fco View Post
Hi,

I've been using this SeaSucker Talon on my 5 series for some years now. Should work fine on my iX3 on order as well. Even works fine with my e-MTB (20+ kg).

Cheers
Not sure how much I would trust something that is attached to the roof by suction alone! As an engineer, I prefer the clamps of dedicated roof bars.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 01:53 AM   #4
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

I also use a suction mount for mine and it is awesome!

Regularly travel to our place on the coast with a bike or 2 on the roof, even on motorways etc the mount has been perfect!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:04 AM   #5
fco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Not sure how much I would trust something that is attached to the roof by suction alone! As an engineer, I prefer the clamps of dedicated roof bars.
I was sceptical at first as well. But after some YouTube videos and reviews went ahead and got them. The first time out with bikes on the roof is not the most relaxing ride. But after years, now I have full confidence in them.
And the big pro is that you buy them once and use them on every car you want. My shed is full of old roof racks and adapter kits for various cars from before I got these .
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:18 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fco View Post
I was sceptical at first as well. But after some YouTube videos and reviews went ahead and got them. The first time out with bikes on the roof is not the most relaxing ride. But after years, now I have full confidence in them.
And the big pro is that you buy them once and use them on every car you want. My shed is full of old roof racks and adapter kits for various cars from before I got these .
However they only have a single purpose. Roof bars allows the user to carry anything.

I would also be slightly concerned about potential damage to the vehicle. Car roofs are not designed to be loaded in this way. Roof rails and roof bar mounting points are designed and strengthened to take a load.

You can probably dispose of the roof bars that don't fit your current fleet of vehicles!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 05:19 AM   #7
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I struggled to find anyting that would officially fit the X3 and didn't want to get a 'universal' one that clips around the boot lid because the top section is just plastic.

In the end I went with roof bars and racks, it was more expensive but it is far safer.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Bert13
Rep

Sucker work

If the paint is good they won’t come offName:  B039AB7A-3170-4AAF-88BD-4FE184A78459.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  837.6 KB
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 02:43 AM   #9
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
If the paint is good they won’t come offAttachment 2807840
That part of the iX3 roof is movable glass. It is probably not designed for vertical upward loading.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 10:22 AM   #10
JBiX3
Registered
Rep

Hi, did anyone find any options for rear mounting? A roof mount won't work for me due to height restrictions. Is the roof spoiler so different from an X3 that the X3 compatible rear racks won't work on an iX3?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:26 PM   #11
superjacob
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (2016)

Quote:
However they only have a single purpose. Roof bars allows the user to carry anything.

I would also be slightly concerned about potential damage to the vehicle. Car roofs are not designed to be loaded in this way. Roof rails and roof bar mounting points are designed and strengthened to take a load.

You can probably dispose of the roof bars that don't fit your current fleet of vehicles!!
Hi! As far as I understood right, there is no opportunity to transport bikes/kayaks on the roof? I'm afraid that the glass can be damaged and standard racks like these aren't suitable at all.

Last edited by superjacob; 04-17-2022 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:57 AM   #12
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjacob View Post
Hi! As far as I understood right, there is no opportunity to transport bikes/kayaks on the roof? I'm afraid that the glass can be damaged
That would be my concern with the suction type bike racks. The glass roof is not designed for loading like this. Items on the roof have significant wind loading, which will potentially cause lifting of the moving section of the glass sunroof.

However, the vehicle has roof rails fitted as standard. It is possible to fit roof bars onto the rails for transporting bikes and kayaks. BMW sell rebranded Thule roof bars. Alternatively, you can buy Thule bars, or other manufacturers.

If you search the forum for Thule roof bars, you will see another post from me. I tested different length roof bars from Thule to find the longest bars that will fit on the IX3, creating the widest load area. The details are in that post.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:25 AM   #13
FrankW2626
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBiX3 View Post
Hi, did anyone find any options for rear mounting? A roof mount won't work for me due to height restrictions. Is the roof spoiler so different from an X3 that the X3 compatible rear racks won't work on an iX3?
Hi, did anyone find any options for rear mounting? Some websites seem to say Thule Outway platform and Saris Bones EX are possible options, but other websites say they are not compatible with the iX3.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #14
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW2626 View Post
Hi, did anyone find any options for rear mounting? Some websites seem to say Thule Outway platform and Saris Bones EX are possible options, but other websites say they are not compatible with the iX3.
I read on a thread that the boot mount racks clash with the rear spoiler and can cause damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 12:06 PM   #15
FrankW2626
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I read on a thread that the boot mount racks clash with the rear spoiler and can cause damage.
Thanks for letting me know. Such a shame. I’m not strong enough to lift bikes on to a roof rack.
Appreciate 0