E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2012 328i e92 error code 2A32 2A37 2A34 2A36 6293 D35A A10A A3B2 9CB5 9CD7

01-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

2012 328i e92 error code 2A32 2A37 2A34 2A36 6293 D35A A10A A3B2 9CB5 9CD7

2012 BMW 328i e92 car not starting, used inpa to pull error codes 2A32 2A37 2A34 2A36 6293 D35A A10A A3B2 9CB5 9CD7
Car was running perfectly fine. Left in garage and went to start with no luck and all these codes pulled up in INPA.
When pressing brake and push start button, car cranks long without starting.
I am trying to find more information on this. I believe it has to do with the eccentric shaft? I have replaced mines about a year ago. I tried looking into a link on here but it went to the bmw site that is now DOWN and cant view instructions or find help to guide me in fixing this issue...

I may have a fuel related issue as I also have a 6293 code.

Anyone on here know or can help shed some light on this? Much appreciated and thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoa6 View Post
2012 BMW 328i e92 car not starting, used inpa to pull error codes 2A32 2A37 2A34 2A36 6293 D35A A10A A3B2 9CB5 9CD7
Car was running perfectly fine... car cranks long without starting...
Although you have 4 VVT codes (2A32 - 2A37) and 2 communication codes related to CAS messages not received (by KOMBI & DSC), the Fuel Pump code is the only thing I can identify that would be related to "Crank, NO Start".

Since you have INPA, I would suggest viewing (with Ignition ON), and saving (as jpg files) ScreenPrints of the following Screens, and posting those screens here:
1) INPA > EKPS > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read Error Memory; That will provide a Definition and Fault Details of the 6293 Fault Code;
2) INPA > EKPS > F5 Status > F1 Read Status 1; That shows Pump Voltage and Current/Amps, as well as KL30 & KL15 voltages (battery voltage without motor running);
3) INPA > EKPS > F6 Activations > F1 & also F2; That allows "Activation" of the Fuel Pump (if module & pump are working); suggest selecting F1 Set L (pump flow rate) @ 50L (per hour), and saving that screen; then select F2 Set PWM (PWM signal to Pump) and select 50%.

Attached to NEXT Post are ScreenPrints of those F5 & F6 (Status & Activation) screens from my 3/2007 328xi. F5 Screen is with engine running at idle, & F6 Screens are cold engine OFF, but Ignition ON, applicable to YOUR case.

If you get any Error Message when trying to access a screen, please attach ScreenPrint of that Error Message.
George
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

INPA EKPS ScreenPrints, EKPS>F5>F1, & F6>F1 50L & F2>50% PWM

INPA EKPS ScreenPrints from 3/2007 328xi, as described in prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Although you have 4 VVT codes (2A32 - 2A37) and 2 communication codes related to CAS messages not received (by KOMBI & DSC), the Fuel Pump code is the only thing I can identify that would be related to "Crank, NO Start".

Since you have INPA, I would suggest viewing (with Ignition ON), and saving (as jpg files) ScreenPrints of the following Screens, and posting those screens here:
1) INPA > EKPS > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read Error Memory; That will provide a Definition and Fault Details of the 6293 Fault Code;
2) INPA > EKPS > F5 Status > F1 Read Status 1; That shows Pump Voltage and Current/Amps, as well as KL30 & KL15 voltages (battery voltage without motor running);
3) INPA > EKPS > F6 Activations > F1 & also F2; That allows "Activation" of the Fuel Pump (if module & pump are working); suggest selecting F1 Set L (pump flow rate) @ 50L (per hour), and saving that screen; then select F2 Set PWM (PWM signal to Pump) and select 50%.

Attached to NEXT Post are ScreenPrints of those F5 & F6 (Status & Activation) screens from my 3/2007 328xi. F5 Screen is with engine running at idle, & F6 Screens are cold engine OFF, but Ignition ON, applicable to YOUR case.

If you get any Error Message when trying to access a screen, please attach ScreenPrint of that Error Message.
George
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and in helping me. I have ran the test you suggested above to my understanding. Attached is the screen capture results. If i followed directions correctly, I wasn't able to access the EKP setting and you will see the screen capture of it below.
Please let me know if I need to run other test etc...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I have ran the test you suggested above to my understanding. Attached is the screen capture results.
You did everything correctly. Your Version of INPA just doesn't have the CORRECT ListBox Selection for the "EKP360" Fuel Pump 'Variant' found in later E9x models, such as your 2012. The "Fix" so you CAN connect to the EKP360 Pump Module is described in detail in the attached pdf, "ID Module Variant, Connect to Module".

That 5-page pdf Explains:
(1) HOW you can determine the 'Variant' or 'SGBD' of each of the ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle, and then
(2) HOW to ADD a ListBox Selection for a Variant (EKP360 in your case) which does NOT appear.
If you add the correct "Text Line" to the 'E90.ENG' file (as explained in pdf), the Right-hand Listbox will show EKP360 as a Pump Module which you can select.

Attached to NEXT post, so as NOT to mess up margins here, is a ScreenPrint of the place in the 'E90.ENG' file where you need to add the line shown in RED (just to identify exactly what you add -- NO Red paint/text required ;-) Please let me know if you have any questions, and how it goes.

Although you CAN perform some type of On/Off Activation of the Fuel Pump through the DME (MSV80 in the 328i -- the N54 uses MSD80), you get BETTER info by connecting to the EKP360 Module.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ID Module Variant, Connect to Module.pdf (901.6 KB, 20 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:48 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Text Line to Add to E90.ENG file for EKP360 Variant Fuel Pump Module

As discussed in prior post, here is ScreenPrint showing line (RED for Emphasis) to add to E90.ENG file, and WHERE to add it.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You did everything correctly. Your Version of INPA just doesn't have the CORRECT ListBox Selection for the "EKP360" Fuel Pump 'Variant' found in later E9x models, such as your 2012. The "Fix" so you CAN connect to the EKP360 Pump Module is described in detail in the attached pdf, "ID Module Variant, Connect to Module".

That 5-page pdf Explains:
(1) HOW you can determine the 'Variant' or 'SGBD' of each of the ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle, and then
(2) HOW to ADD a ListBox Selection for a Variant (EKP360 in your case) which does NOT appear.
If you add the correct "Text Line" to the 'E90.ENG' file (as explained in pdf), the Right-hand Listbox will show EKP360 as a Pump Module which you can select.

Attached to NEXT post, so as NOT to mess up margins here, is a ScreenPrint of the place in the 'E90.ENG' file where you need to add the line shown in RED (just to identify exactly what you add -- NO Red paint/text required ;-) Please let me know if you have any questions, and how it goes.

Although you CAN perform some type of On/Off Activation of the Fuel Pump through the DME (MSV80 in the 328i -- the N54 uses MSD80), you get BETTER info by connecting to the EKP360 Module.
George
Hi George,
Thank you for helping me again. Much appreciated. I have managed to install the added code line in e90eng file. Below is the results of test.
Attached Images

Last edited by Makoa6; 01-17-2022 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I have managed to install the added code line in e90eng file. Below is the results of test.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Since there was no specific question, I ASSumed you were doing MORE tests, or had discovered the issue. Since there have been procedural INPA "Side Trips" (successfully negotiated it appears?) we should probably get on the same page on (1) Where we are, & (2) Where we go next & why. I'll do that below, but first, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: The vehicle in question is 2012 328i E92, and NOT 2007 335i E90; your "other ride" (black) and NOT "my ride" (silver), CORRECT?

I realize you need to get your car fixed ASAP, but if you have alternate transportation for a few more days, you will gain "future value" by taking the time to understand INPA. I have some questions about your INPA Screens you posted, such as WHY is the "Functional Jobs > F5 Status > F1 PROGRAMMING STATE" Header appearing beneath all the other screens you have posted?

That is probably NOT that important, except it prevents the Task Bar (Lower portion) of INPA Screen from appearing. As long as you can Navigate in INPA, and read the data, we can "Pass that issue". If you can quickly resolve it, such as by selecting that Functional Jobs Screen, and then clicking F10/ Back, and returning to E90 Selection Screen, perhaps that will go away.

OR, if your INPA Screen does NOT have that "Double Header", perhaps it's because of how you are "Pasting" the ScreenPrint to Paint or Photo Editor used, that causes the image file to have two headers. As stated if you can't figure that out in 5 minutes or less, just be aware that is NOT how the INPA Screen is SUPPOSED to look and "Pass That".

Where we are, Where I would Go from here, & WHY:
IF I were facing your situation, I would FIRST want to know if I can get the Fuel Pump (LPFP) to run, and if so, will the car THEN start.

I would THEN want to know if the DME Fault Codes are "Currently Present" (Fehler Momentan Vorhanden in German), and address THOSE issues. I would suggest for NOW, just focus on fuel pump. So I'll indicate my observations on what you posted on 1/17, questions I have, and suggest "Next Steps".

Evaluation of FIVE (5) Screens Attached 1/17:
1) "Strom zu hoch" = Current (Amps) too HIGH. That is the Definition of EKPS Fault Code 6293. Excessive Amps/Current Draw is often seen when an electric motor is "stuck" or requires excessive force to turn it. Is THAT what is happening in your case? Can you use Fuel Pump Activation (INPA > EKPS > F6) to get Pump RPM in the 4,000 RPM range and moderate Amps (~ 8A)?
Can you HEAR the Pump run when activated? Will the engine fire/run when pump is activated?

I have NO Idea what the 3 "Warnings" below the Code Definition mean, other than 3 things that SHOULD appear in "record" do NOT.
We MIGHT get some additional clues if YOUR EKPS Menu contains a selection for "Read History Memory". In my earlier EKPS, that Menu Path is INPA > EKPS > F4 Error Memory > F5 Read History Memory. That "History" remains even when you "Clear Fault Memory" -- Just do NOT press F6 and Clear History Memory.

It is POSSIBLE that "History Memory" contains prior Faults related to Fuel Pump, and mileage at which they occurred, that offer clues on what is happening NOW.

1a) The FIRST questions are: could you Activate the Fuel Pump using F6? Could you hear the Pump Run, even for 5 to 10 seconds? Did you try to start engine if you heard pump run? If unsure, try again, and listen for pump operation.

2) Your 2nd 1/17 Screen, "Pumpe ansteuern" or Pump Control is different from my "Pump Control" screens attached to post #3, attachments #2 & #3. I'm NOT sure what you selected or whether the top-left bar graph in your screen indicates Actual Pump rotation. "Aktuelle PWM Vorgabe" is translated by Google Translate as "Current PWM Specification/ Default. That does NOT necessarily suggest to me a value of "50%" from monitoring actual pump speed, but rather the Target PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) signal TO the pump. Simple solution: CAN you HEAR the pump run?
Your Pump Current/Amps, if 50% PWM was selected, is certainly NOT "too high", with a reading of 4.8 Amps. Compare that with my 50% PWM Screen showing 6.3A on a properly-operating LPFP with NO Fault Codes.

3) NOT sure what significance your 3rd Screen has, "Programming State". I see the line "50 SINE ... INVALID FORMAT". I have NO module with "50" ADR (address #), but it MAY be a Factory Alarm Module. Try INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, and see WHAT Modules appear (Save/Post Screen). Run your VIN through Online VIN Decoder and see if car had Alarm from Factory. I have never seen that line appear in INPA, so I have NO CLUE. ANYONE???
There is NOTHING I see that suggests it is related to getting the Fuel Pump to Run, so I'll "Pass That" for now.

4) Your EKPS > F5 Status Screen is NO Help, EXCEPT to suggest that the DME is NOT signaling for the Pump to Run. There is NO Target (soll) Flow Rate or Pump RPM, No Actual Pump RPM, No Voltage applied to Pump, and NO Current Drawn by the pump. Screen DOES show Pump "Highside Temp" of 34C (suggesting SOME electrical activity), and Battery Voltage (Terminal 30) of 12.40V.

5) Your 5th ScreenPrint, Pumpe Ansteurn (2), appears to be the SAME screen as #2, just viewed AFTER ScreenPrint #2, when battery voltage had dropped by .2V, and the Pump Voltage & Amps/Current were EACH .1V LESS than in ScreenPrint #2. Once again, I'm NOT sure what "Aktuelle PWM Vorgabe" ACTUALLY Means.

There is LIKELY a better INPA F6 (Activation) Screen you can select to see the PUMP RPM. What we REALLY need is a screen that shows PUMP RPM, Volts & Amps at the same time, to see if you can activate pump to get it to run >4,000 RPM, see the Voltage & Amps applied/ drawn at such an RPM, and see if engine Starts with Pump Running.

If you don't immediately find such a screen, please save/attach a ScreenPrint of EKPS F6 Menu that shows the choices. Also it WOULD be helpful if you can figure out HOW to show the Taskbar selection choices at the bottom of the INPA screen. Compare YOUR screens with those I have attached earlier to see what I mean.

If you get tired of trying to figure out INPA, we can always "Hotwire" your pump (apply Voltage/Ground directly) to see if Engine will then run. However THEN you still have to DIAGNOSE WHY the pump is NOT being powered (IF that is the case). The way my mind "allegedly works", the first step is to get pump to run (hotwired or NOT ;-) and then either replace the pump if it does NOT run even when power/ground applied directly, or DIAGNOSE WHY the EKPS is NOT powering the pump. That can be due to wiring/connector fault, DME fault, EKPS Fault, etc., and INPA is best tool to diagnose that.

If you find all this a bit confusing, just remember that if it were EASY, ANYONE could do it.
George
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:40 AM   #9
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Since there was no specific question, I ASSumed you were doing MORE tests, or had discovered the issue. Since there have been procedural INPA "Side Trips" (successfully negotiated it appears?) we should probably get on the same page on (1) Where we are, & (2) Where we go next & why. I'll do that below, but first, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: The vehicle in question is 2012 328i E92, and NOT 2007 335i E90; your "other ride" (black) and NOT "my ride" (silver), CORRECT?

I realize you need to get your car fixed ASAP, but if you have alternate transportation for a few more days, you will gain "future value" by taking the time to understand INPA. I have some questions about your INPA Screens you posted, such as WHY is the "Functional Jobs > F5 Status > F1 PROGRAMMING STATE" Header appearing beneath all the other screens you have posted?

That is probably NOT that important, except it prevents the Task Bar (Lower portion) of INPA Screen from appearing. As long as you can Navigate in INPA, and read the data, we can "Pass that issue". If you can quickly resolve it, such as by selecting that Functional Jobs Screen, and then clicking F10/ Back, and returning to E90 Selection Screen, perhaps that will go away.

OR, if your INPA Screen does NOT have that "Double Header", perhaps it's because of how you are "Pasting" the ScreenPrint to Paint or Photo Editor used, that causes the image file to have two headers. As stated if you can't figure that out in 5 minutes or less, just be aware that is NOT how the INPA Screen is SUPPOSED to look and "Pass That".

Where we are, Where I would Go from here, & WHY:
IF I were facing your situation, I would FIRST want to know if I can get the Fuel Pump (LPFP) to run, and if so, will the car THEN start.

I would THEN want to know if the DME Fault Codes are "Currently Present" (Fehler Momentan Vorhanden in German), and address THOSE issues. I would suggest for NOW, just focus on fuel pump. So I'll indicate my observations on what you posted on 1/17, questions I have, and suggest "Next Steps".

Evaluation of FIVE (5) Screens Attached 1/17:
1) "Strom zu hoch" = Current (Amps) too HIGH. That is the Definition of EKPS Fault Code 6293. Excessive Amps/Current Draw is often seen when an electric motor is "stuck" or requires excessive force to turn it. Is THAT what is happening in your case? Can you use Fuel Pump Activation (INPA > EKPS > F6) to get Pump RPM in the 4,000 RPM range and moderate Amps (~ 8A)?
Can you HEAR the Pump run when activated? Will the engine fire/run when pump is activated?

I have NO Idea what the 3 "Warnings" below the Code Definition mean, other than 3 things that SHOULD appear in "record" do NOT.
We MIGHT get some additional clues if YOUR EKPS Menu contains a selection for "Read History Memory". In my earlier EKPS, that Menu Path is INPA > EKPS > F4 Error Memory > F5 Read History Memory. That "History" remains even when you "Clear Fault Memory" -- Just do NOT press F6 and Clear History Memory.

It is POSSIBLE that "History Memory" contains prior Faults related to Fuel Pump, and mileage at which they occurred, that offer clues on what is happening NOW.

1a) The FIRST questions are: could you Activate the Fuel Pump using F6? Could you hear the Pump Run, even for 5 to 10 seconds? Did you try to start engine if you heard pump run? If unsure, try again, and listen for pump operation.

2) Your 2nd 1/17 Screen, "Pumpe ansteuern" or Pump Control is different from my "Pump Control" screens attached to post #3, attachments #2 & #3. I'm NOT sure what you selected or whether the top-left bar graph in your screen indicates Actual Pump rotation. "Aktuelle PWM Vorgabe" is translated by Google Translate as "Current PWM Specification/ Default. That does NOT necessarily suggest to me a value of "50%" from monitoring actual pump speed, but rather the Target PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) signal TO the pump. Simple solution: CAN you HEAR the pump run?
Your Pump Current/Amps, if 50% PWM was selected, is certainly NOT "too high", with a reading of 4.8 Amps. Compare that with my 50% PWM Screen showing 6.3A on a properly-operating LPFP with NO Fault Codes.

3) NOT sure what significance your 3rd Screen has, "Programming State". I see the line "50 SINE ... INVALID FORMAT". I have NO module with "50" ADR (address #), but it MAY be a Factory Alarm Module. Try INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, and see WHAT Modules appear (Save/Post Screen). Run your VIN through Online VIN Decoder and see if car had Alarm from Factory. I have never seen that line appear in INPA, so I have NO CLUE. ANYONE???
There is NOTHING I see that suggests it is related to getting the Fuel Pump to Run, so I'll "Pass That" for now.

4) Your EKPS > F5 Status Screen is NO Help, EXCEPT to suggest that the DME is NOT signaling for the Pump to Run. There is NO Target (soll) Flow Rate or Pump RPM, No Actual Pump RPM, No Voltage applied to Pump, and NO Current Drawn by the pump. Screen DOES show Pump "Highside Temp" of 34C (suggesting SOME electrical activity), and Battery Voltage (Terminal 30) of 12.40V.

5) Your 5th ScreenPrint, Pumpe Ansteurn (2), appears to be the SAME screen as #2, just viewed AFTER ScreenPrint #2, when battery voltage had dropped by .2V, and the Pump Voltage & Amps/Current were EACH .1V LESS than in ScreenPrint #2. Once again, I'm NOT sure what "Aktuelle PWM Vorgabe" ACTUALLY Means.

There is LIKELY a better INPA F6 (Activation) Screen you can select to see the PUMP RPM. What we REALLY need is a screen that shows PUMP RPM, Volts & Amps at the same time, to see if you can activate pump to get it to run >4,000 RPM, see the Voltage & Amps applied/ drawn at such an RPM, and see if engine Starts with Pump Running.

If you don't immediately find such a screen, please save/attach a ScreenPrint of EKPS F6 Menu that shows the choices. Also it WOULD be helpful if you can figure out HOW to show the Taskbar selection choices at the bottom of the INPA screen. Compare YOUR screens with those I have attached earlier to see what I mean.

If you get tired of trying to figure out INPA, we can always "Hotwire" your pump (apply Voltage/Ground directly) to see if Engine will then run. However THEN you still have to DIAGNOSE WHY the pump is NOT being powered (IF that is the case). The way my mind "allegedly works", the first step is to get pump to run (hotwired or NOT ;-) and then either replace the pump if it does NOT run even when power/ground applied directly, or DIAGNOSE WHY the EKPS is NOT powering the pump. That can be due to wiring/connector fault, DME fault, EKPS Fault, etc., and INPA is best tool to diagnose that.

If you find all this a bit confusing, just remember that if it were EASY, ANYONE could do it.
George
George,
Yes you are correct. This is for my 2012 silver 328i e92.

I tried decoding the german writing but was unsucessful. I took several screen shots in hopes that you would be able to understand the german menu better.
I also do notice when i change my % to 50 or 100 I can hear the pump make a thumping noise but thats about it. Even when I activate the pump on, it also makes a thump noise and thats it. Im wondering if the pump is bad?? I do know that when the car would start up, at first it seemed to struggle as if it was starving from fuel and then it would smooth out after warming up. I dont know if it would be a LPFP issue..., but it would always start up. I hope I did a lot better on the attached photos...

first screen is ekps menu
second screen is ekps error screen
third and forth, I think is a history of the ekps? not sure.
5th screen is ekps at 50%.
As mentioned above, when activating the pump and switching % 50-100 pump makes a thump noise and thats about it... Not sure if I should be hearing like a priming noise for a bit?? If so, I dont hear that. I couldnt find a page with RPMs on it to set to 4,000rpm. I hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... when i change my % to 50 or 100 I can hear the pump make a thumping noise but that's about it. Even when I activate the pump on, it also makes a thump noise and that's it. I'm wondering if the pump is bad?? I do know that when the car would start up, at first it seemed to struggle as if it was starving from fuel and then it would smooth out after warming up...
Those ScreenPrints are better, as the stray header is gone.
Learning how to use INPA while we Diagnose your issue will have Long-term BENEFITS.

Pump MAY have failed. However some Codes suggest other issues. See Below.
I would suggest trying to "Hotwire" the Pump, but that has to be done carefully and correctly.
I'll provide steps if you provide following Info:

1) What is the Fuel Gauge reading on the Instrument Cluster?

2) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN? Need that to know if N51 or N52, and refer to correct ISTA wiring diagrams which I can provide.

3) Please provide following INPA ScreenPrints, so we can get better Info:
a) INPA > EKPS > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read Error Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen);
b) INPA > EKPS > F4 > F7 Read History Memory (Historyspeicher Lesen);
c) INPA > EKPS > F6 Pump Activation; If that is the 5th screen you just posted, is there any other screen or Menu for other "Activation/Ansteuern" choices?

4) Do you have a Multimeter?

5) Do you have two "patch cables" (wires with alligator clips on either end)?

Since your Pump Module Variant has a DIFFERENT Menu for Activation or Pump Control (Ansteuern) than my "EKPM60_3" Module, you may NOT be able to see "Pump RPM" or select Flow Rate. When you Select F1, or F5, at the 5th screen you posted, does anything appear in any of the buttons in the Task Bar (bottom of Screen)? If you refer back to the 3 ScreenPrints I attached to Post #3 in this thread, you will see text in Function buttons in Task Bar.

Details: Review of your 5 ScreenPrints:
German Words to learn:
Fehlerspeicher = Fault Memory or Error Memory
Fehler = Fault
Speicher = Memory
Lesen = Read
Loeschen = CLEAR/ DELETE (Don't press that unless you MEAN it ;-)

Google Translate example:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&...n&op=translate

History Memory is a RECORD of previous faults in DME, EGS or EKPS Modules. Other Modules do NOT have History Memory. That provides a Historical Record of Faults (up to last 10 in DME), and it would be a good idea to SAVE the Screens that show those codes so you know what issues have occurred in the past.

History Memory gets over-written eventually when full, and oldest deleted, newest added. I would NEVER CLEAR (Loeschen) history memory. Codes saved there do NOT affect how anything operates, they are ONLY for historical reference, AFAIK. History Memory MAY offer some clues on your current fuel pump issue, and mileage/km reading (to nearest 5 miles/ 8km) at moment fault occurred is saved in that memory.

The 3rd screen you attached says "Infospeicher lesen" in upper-left corner. That is "Read Info Memory" (F4>F4). That is DIFFERENT from F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen). That is why I have requested that you view, save, attach F4 > F1 (Read Fault Memory).

The CED4 Fault code shown in Info Memory (3rd Screen, 3rd fault) indicates an expected signal from the DME was NOT received by the Fuel Pump Module. This raises a question as to whether there is a "Bus Fault" between the DME & EKPS, rather than a fault in the Fuel Pump. From your description of the sound when 50% or 100% PWM is selected in EKPS > F6 Activation, the pump is NOT running, even when Activated directly via the EKPS. So there MAY be an issue in the Pump itself, OR in the wiring/connectors between the EKPS and Pump.

My suggestion, since we CANNOT see specific pump RPM via F6 Activation, or hear operation of pump, is to apply voltage & ground directly to the wiring going to the pump ("Hotwire the Pump"). If you will provide your VIN-7 and answers to questions above, I'll provide steps on HOW to do that.
George
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #11
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

fuel gauge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #12
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those ScreenPrints are better, as the stray header is gone.
Learning how to use INPA while we Diagnose your issue will have Long-term BENEFITS.

Pump MAY have failed. However some Codes suggest other issues. See Below.
I would suggest trying to "Hotwire" the Pump, but that has to be done carefully and correctly.
I'll provide steps if you provide following Info:

1) What is the Fuel Gauge reading on the Instrument Cluster?

2) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN? Need that to know if N51 or N52, and refer to correct ISTA wiring diagrams which I can provide.

3) Please provide following INPA ScreenPrints, so we can get better Info:
a) INPA > EKPS > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read Error Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen);
b) INPA > EKPS > F4 > F7 Read History Memory (Historyspeicher Lesen);
c) INPA > EKPS > F6 Pump Activation; If that is the 5th screen you just posted, is there any other screen or Menu for other "Activation/Ansteuern" choices?

4) Do you have a Multimeter?

5) Do you have two "patch cables" (wires with alligator clips on either end)?

Since your Pump Module Variant has a DIFFERENT Menu for Activation or Pump Control (Ansteuern) than my "EKPM60_3" Module, you may NOT be able to see "Pump RPM" or select Flow Rate. When you Select F1, or F5, at the 5th screen you posted, does anything appear in any of the buttons in the Task Bar (bottom of Screen)? If you refer back to the 3 ScreenPrints I attached to Post #3 in this thread, you will see text in Function buttons in Task Bar.

Details: Review of your 5 ScreenPrints:
German Words to learn:
Fehlerspeicher = Fault Memory or Error Memory
Fehler = Fault
Speicher = Memory
Lesen = Read
Loeschen = CLEAR/ DELETE (Don't press that unless you MEAN it ;-)

Google Translate example:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&...n&op=translate

History Memory is a RECORD of previous faults in DME, EGS or EKPS Modules. Other Modules do NOT have History Memory. That provides a Historical Record of Faults (up to last 10 in DME), and it would be a good idea to SAVE the Screens that show those codes so you know what issues have occurred in the past.

History Memory gets over-written eventually when full, and oldest deleted, newest added. I would NEVER CLEAR (Loeschen) history memory. Codes saved there do NOT affect how anything operates, they are ONLY for historical reference, AFAIK. History Memory MAY offer some clues on your current fuel pump issue, and mileage/km reading (to nearest 5 miles/ 8km) at moment fault occurred is saved in that memory.

The 3rd screen you attached says "Infospeicher lesen" in upper-left corner. That is "Read Info Memory" (F4>F4). That is DIFFERENT from F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen). That is why I have requested that you view, save, attach F4 > F1 (Read Fault Memory).

The CED4 Fault code shown in Info Memory (3rd Screen, 3rd fault) indicates an expected signal from the DME was NOT received by the Fuel Pump Module. This raises a question as to whether there is a "Bus Fault" between the DME & EKPS, rather than a fault in the Fuel Pump. From your description of the sound when 50% or 100% PWM is selected in EKPS > F6 Activation, the pump is NOT running, even when Activated directly via the EKPS. So there MAY be an issue in the Pump itself, OR in the wiring/connectors between the EKPS and Pump.

My suggestion, since we CANNOT see specific pump RPM via F6 Activation, or hear operation of pump, is to apply voltage & ground directly to the wiring going to the pump ("Hotwire the Pump"). If you will provide your VIN-7 and answers to questions above, I'll provide steps on HOW to do that.
George
George,

1) I posted a picture of Fuel gauge reading with car in on position above.

2) Last 7 characters of my VIN is: E770593

3) I have tried my best to provide what you asked for in screen capture. In my previous pictures above, I have already posted the history, I will repost again with newly updated captures. I dont know if the last screen capture will have any value to this but i added that on. there is a whole list of history but i only printed the first screen.

4) Yes I have a Multimeter

5) I can fabricate some patch cables to jump the fuel pump. Just need to know which wires/ colors am I jumping for voltage and ground...

I've tried searching all through the version of INPA that I have for a better or more options on the EKP and can't find anything else.
Also, Please note that I may have screwed up earlier when trying to read German, I was following your F4>F5 examples when in German and it accidentally hit the clearLoeschen button. I also cleared out the error memory. But I still hear that thump noise when trying to engage the pump. I believe my other car can actually hear pump running and this one doesnt. I would like to proceed with hot wiring the pump and test... I have already researched the pump and is on standby to order if the pump is faulty. Also, my version does not have those function buttons in the task bar like yours.

Thank you for helping and spending the time to share the knowledge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I would like to proceed with hot wiring the pump and test... I have already researched
the pump and is on standby to order if the pump is faulty. Also, my version does not have those function buttons in the
task bar like yours. [What's that at bottom of your last/ 4th ScreenPrint? ]...
HOW to Hotwire Fuel Pump:
1) Attached are 7 ISTA ScreenPrints showing Fuel Pump wiring, Location of Components, Lines, Connectors & Connector Views;

2) Basically you apply 12V+ to the Red/White wire, and Chassis Ground to the Brown wire; the SAFEST way to do that
is to connect to sockets of DIS-connected Connector X3507 at the EKPS module, so no spark risk at Fuel Pump.

3) The EKPS Module is behind the Right-Rear Seat Squab (seatback). Pump is beneath R-R Seat cushion;

4) Familiarize yourself with location of EKPS Module (A13663), & Connector X3507 at the Module; then trace
the Red/White wire, and Brown wire from the Module Connector to the Pump (M2) and its connector, X5078;

5) Make SURE there is NO Fuel Odor or liquid present in area of Cover of Fuel pump, and you have correctly identified Connectors;

6) Replace Seat Cushion, but NOT Squab/ back (reduces spark hazard); Identify X13663 16-pin Connector @ EKPS Module;

7) Test for 12V+ at Pin #1 of Connector X13663 (X13663/1 with Red/Black wire); should be voltage when Ignition ON only
(Terminal 30G via F70 fuse). Assuming there is Battery Voltage at Pin #1 with ignition ON, use that as 12V+ supply for
B+ voltage supply to the Pump via X3507/4, or Socket #4 of 4-pin Connector X3507, Red/White wire.

8) Pin #1 is 1st large socket in connector (Red/Black wire), and Pin #2 is 2nd large socket; you COULD use 2nd large socket,
with Brown wire attached, as your Chassis Ground source. HOWEVER that is NEXT TO the B+ wire and there is a risk of
short-circuit if the two are contacted, so it would be SAFER to use another Chassis Ground source. Whatever Ground
Source you choose, connect that Chassis Ground to X3507/2, or Brown wire at Socket #2 of Connector X3507.

Pump should run continuously as long as B+ supply and Chassis Ground are Both connected as described.
Make sure you take the time to read & understand this post and ISTA ScreenPrints attached.
Ask QUESTIONS if NOT SURE you understand. If pump runs, try starting engine, but NOT more than ~ 30 seconds.
Disconnect both jumpers and report findings. Photos welcome.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Bentley "Schematic Symbols & Conventions" (for ISTA Wiring)

To HELP folks trying to decipher the ISTA wiring diagrams (LOTS of Details in those "SSP" Documents)
I attach ScreenPrints from Bentley (pdf pages 961 & 962) showing "Conventions" and "Symbols"
used in ISTA wiring diagrams, which are SAME as what appears in the "ELE Wiring Diagrams" Section of Bentley, paper or pdf.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HOW to Hotwire Fuel Pump:
1) Attached are 7 ISTA ScreenPrints showing Fuel Pump wiring, Location of Components, Lines, Connectors & Connector Views;

2) Basically you apply 12V+ to the Red/White wire, and Chassis Ground to the Brown wire; the SAFEST way to do that
is to connect to sockets of DIS-connected Connector X3507 at the EKPS module, so no spark risk at Fuel Pump.

3) The EKPS Module is behind the Right-Rear Seat Squab (seatback). Pump is beneath R-R Seat cushion;

4) Familiarize yourself with location of EKPS Module (A13663), & Connector X3507 at the Module; then trace
the Red/White wire, and Brown wire from the Module Connector to the Pump (M2) and its connector, X5078;

5) Make SURE there is NO Fuel Odor or liquid present in area of Cover of Fuel pump, and you have correctly identified Connectors;

6) Replace Seat Cushion, but NOT Squab/ back (reduces spark hazard); Identify X13663 16-pin Connector @ EKPS Module;

7) Test for 12V+ at Pin #1 of Connector X13663 (X13663/1 with Red/Black wire); should be voltage when Ignition ON only
(Terminal 30G via F70 fuse). Assuming there is Battery Voltage at Pin #1 with ignition ON, use that as 12V+ supply for
B+ voltage supply to the Pump via X3507/4, or Socket #4 of 4-pin Connector X3507, Red/White wire.

8) Pin #1 is 1st large socket in connector (Red/Black wire), and Pin #2 is 2nd large socket; you COULD use 2nd large socket,
with Brown wire attached, as your Chassis Ground source. HOWEVER that is NEXT TO the B+ wire and there is a risk of
short-circuit if the two are contacted, so it would be SAFER to use another Chassis Ground source. Whatever Ground
Source you choose, connect that Chassis Ground to X3507/2, or Brown wire at Socket #2 of Connector X3507.

Pump should run continuously as long as B+ supply and Chassis Ground are Both connected as described.
Make sure you take the time to read & understand this post and ISTA ScreenPrints attached.
Ask QUESTIONS if NOT SURE you understand. If pump runs, try starting engine, but NOT more than ~ 30 seconds.
Disconnect both jumpers and report findings. Photos welcome.
George
George,

I completed my testing of hot wiring the fuel pump direct from battery to fuel pump through connector x3507 red/white wire 12votl and brown wire ground. Reaultsof test is the same thump noise as I heard b4. I don't hear the pump running with power to it. Below are some pictures of my make shift fabrications lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #16
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I still hear that thump noise when trying to engage the pump. I believe my other car can actually hear pump running and this one doesnt. I would like to proceed with hot wiring the pump and test... I have already researched the pump and is on standby to order if the pump is faulty...
Quote:
I completed my testing of hot wiring the fuel pump direct from battery to fuel pump through connector x3507 red/white wire 12votl and brown wire ground. Reaultsof test is the same thump noise as I heard b4. I don't hear the pump running with power to it...
I'm Lazy & Cheap -- I'll spend HOURS Diagnosing to avoid spending $$ & Minutes replacing parts.
Even by MY Standards, I would say it's time to order that "Standby" replacement pump.

Don't have any personal experience with LPFP failure modes, so have NO idea WHY there is a "clunk" but no buzz or hum of pump motor when applying power directly to Red/White wire and ground directly to Brown wire.

If B+ & Ground were provided directly from battery to X3507 via the Spade Terminals you have taped, as shown in your last photo, that's a nice, creative test setup.

Please let me know if you need anything else from ISTA, such as Pump Replacement Procedure for 2012 N52. Also please let us know how the replacement goes and if there are any issues/ codes afterwards.
George
Appreciate 1
Makoa658.50
      01-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #17
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Fuel Pump Replacement Procedure: ISTA & Bentley, 2012 N52

Attached are 5 ScreenPrints from ISTA for 2012 N52, providing Repair Procedure for Fuel Pump Replacement.
Bentley Manual uses same basic photos but has more detailed ASSEMBLY procedure. Be aware the Bentley Manual
does NOT include any changes by BMW AFTER 7/2009 "Close" date, so compare BOTH references. Bentley Manual in pdf:
http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php
Bentley paper pages showing LPFP Replacement Procedure: 160-15 thru 160-19, pdf pages 340-344.

I have NOT performed this procedure, but probably will some day in future.
ANYONE who has, please provide as many "Tips" as you are able. Be aware that N51 Tank/Pump differs.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Makoa658.50
      02-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #18
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Attached are 5 ScreenPrints from ISTA for 2012 N52, providing Repair Procedure for Fuel Pump Replacement.
Bentley Manual uses same basic photos but has more detailed ASSEMBLY procedure. Be aware the Bentley Manual
does NOT include any changes by BMW AFTER 7/2009 "Close" date, so compare BOTH references. Bentley Manual in pdf:
http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php
Bentley paper pages showing LPFP Replacement Procedure: 160-15 thru 160-19, pdf pages 340-344.

I have NOT performed this procedure, but probably will some day in future.
ANYONE who has, please provide as many "Tips" as you are able. Be aware that N51 Tank/Pump differs.
George
Hi George,
Got my fuel pump in and replaced it!!! Car is back to normal!! Solution to problem was a bad lpfp fuel pump!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:07 AM   #19
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi George,
Got my fuel pump in and replaced it!!! Car is back to normal!! Solution to problem was a bad lpfp fuel pump!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #20
Fiasco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E90

Threads like this demonstrate why model specific car communities are so important.

Shoutout's to gbalthrop for seeing this problem through to the end, its very apparent that you are a huge asset to this community

Just by reading I've now learned how to diagnose a crank no start in INPA, how to test a fuel pump, and how to replace one. We can all benefit from detailed teamwork like this.

Carry on!
Appreciate 0