E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Enjoying Our Cars on Perfect Country Roads

11-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Enjoying Our Cars on Perfect Country Roads

I live in the country with lots of twisty roads, but most of them are in bad shape, they are narrow and they were designed for 35 mph. They are in such bad shape that their condition limits my speed more than anything else. If I take them fast, I can't dodge the potholes and it beats up my car too much, mostly due to the run-flats.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of driving some of the roads in the Santa Cruz mountains and they were perfect for our cars - nicely paved, with a little extra width, posted speed limits between 40 and 60 and beautiful trees on both sides. And there was virtually no traffic!

I couldn't get anywhere near the limits of my car. The car felt perfectly balanced and under control at all times. It had no oversteer or understeer. The tires never squealed. It just kept saying "go faster - I can take it". I could always keep the car in the perfect gear with my 6MT.

Some of you have already done it, but I urge my fellow enthusiasts that haven't done it to seek out great country roads like these and enjoy your cars to the max. Our cars are good cruisers and fun to drive on most roads, but they are at their best on well paved twisty roads that can handle speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
DR51FTA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BLACK BMW E90 320 M SPORT

i agree
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
I live in the country with lots of twisty roads, but most of them are in bad shape, they are narrow and they were designed for 35 mph. They are in such bad shape that their condition limits my speed more than anything else. If I take them fast, I can't dodge the potholes and it beats up my car too much, mostly due to the run-flats.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of driving some of the roads in the Santa Cruz mountains and they were perfect for our cars - nicely paved, with a little extra width, posted speed limits between 40 and 60 and beautiful trees on both sides. And there was virtually no traffic!

I couldn't get anywhere near the limits of my car. The car felt perfectly balanced and under control at all times. It had no oversteer or understeer. The tires never squealed. It just kept saying "go faster - I can take it". I could always keep the car in the perfect gear with my 6MT.

Some of you have already done it, but I urge my fellow enthusiasts that haven't done it to seek out great country roads like these and enjoy your cars to the max. Our cars are good cruisers and fun to drive on most roads, but they are at their best on well paved twisty roads that can handle speed.

You should go to Google Maps or Google Earth and plot your route and post it so others can find the twisties.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:

+1

Here is a video of a Cayman Club run through the Catskills a few weeks ago. I was in my 335i directly behind the car that shot the video. I had no problem keeping up with them. These are the kinds of roads where the car comes into its own. Drives like these are so enjoyable I overlook how bad the car does on the ravaged streets of New York City.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-22-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

These are the kinds of roads where the car comes into its own. Drives like these are so enjoyable I overlook how bad the car does on the ravaged streets of New York City.
I agree completely. I've had my car since March, but this was the first time I've driven roads like this. It was driving heaven. This experience is going to help me put up with my run-flats on terrible roads. The car felt glued to the road, the turn-in was spot-on, there was very little body roll and the low-end torque of the N52KP engine was always available. It would be even better with the N54 engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

very nice! We had a run here in houston a few weeks ago, fun stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree completely. I've had my car since March, but this was the first time I've driven roads like this. It was driving heaven. This experience is going to help me put up with my run-flats on terrible roads. The car felt glued to the road, the turn-in was spot-on, there was very little body roll and the low-end torque of the N52KP engine was always available. It would be even better with the N54 engine.
I got rid of the RFTs after two weeks in NYC.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
well paved twisty roads that can handle speed.
Those are called race tracks! I don't bother searching out 'canyon roads' anymore, the lack of run off and potential for law enforcement really cuts down the fun factor. Just take it to a DE and go for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Those are called race tracks! I don't bother searching out 'canyon roads' anymore, the lack of run off and potential for law enforcement really cuts down the fun factor. Just take it to a DE and go for it!
I agree. It is very dangerous and irresponsible to push a car to its limits on public roads, but I don't think it is necessary to drive fast or recklessly to enjoy the way the BMW handles. I do not push the 335 anywhere close to the limits on the roads. I also do not drive it on race tracks. I have a dedicated track car for that.

CA

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
My friend lives about 10-15 minutes off a main hwy in highly wooded areas, with only 2 lanes. Really, just one road with now dividing stripe. There are 2 or 3 really good S-curves on the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I should have been clearer...

I'm not advocating anyone going so fast they become a hazard to themselves or anyone else. I agree - that's for the track. My point is that it's fun to push our cars a little (no where near the limits) AND drive safely at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
it's fun to push our cars a little (no where near the limits) AND drive safely at the same time.
Yes, I agree! E9X is a ton of fun

If you do feel the urge to 'go for it' on public roads you should do it without other cars (ie don't be in a big convoy) and definitely without camera equipment. Do a quick scan for LEOs, get your drive done, don't linger, and don't post about it on the interweb
Appreciate 0