E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > noob question on claiming insurance

11-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
e90328xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

noob question on claiming insurance

Hi, all

I have a noob question, but for me this is very new experience. Therefore, I do not know which actions to take first.

Last night, I was waiting to take over a parking spot in the parking lot (I was at stationary mode). Unfortunately, the driver did not care to look back, which resulted in a minor crash into my car. Thus, as of now, my car's front bumper has a small deep scratch and minor micro scratches. It also has a small vertical dent. I have obtained the driver's insurance and his information.

My questions are following:
1. Should I call his insurance company or do body shops claim insurance for me if I bring the information?
2. If I need a new bumper, would it be possible to get a mtech bumper from the dealership's body shop?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Not been through anything like this but from what I have read you should get an estimate for the repairs (new bumper, paint, etc.) and call his insurance company and tell them the estimate, they should then send you a check, at least that's how I think it goes.

Also, you should be able to get whatever bumper you want out of this (within reason).
      11-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Don't you need a police report to make a claim..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete84 View Post
Don't you need a police report to make a claim..
You dont need one but it makes it much easier if the other driver decides to be a jerk and say he didnt hit you.

I would call his insurance company state that the owner of X vehicle hit your car.

They will open up a claim and then call their insured to get his half of the story. If he says yes I hit him, they will send an adjuster out to see what the damage is on your car then give you an offer for resolution.

You are you supposed to report it to your company as well, you can report it as a notice only. Not as a claim.
      11-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Call their insurance and file a claim against them. They will determine what type of repairs you need and cut you a check to cover it. Say you need a new bumper, they will either send you a check for the amount to get a new one +paint or send the money to the body shop you want to go to. Once that happens I would work out something with the body shop to pay the difference between the stock bumper and the M-Tech yourself.
      11-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
AlanS
Went from a 740i to this?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Alpine/Coral

Call your insurance company. Not theirs. Do not speak to their insurance company unless your claim handler tells you to. Like the other person said, you are not making a claim on your policy. Let your insurance handle this for you. That's what its there for.

Also, never accept a check for an estimated amount unless you are 100% sure that it will cover all the damage. Frequently, when a car is taken apart, more damage is revealed. If you have settled the claim with the other insurance company, it may be very difficult to get the remainder of your damages. For your accident, however, "hidden" damage seems very unlikely. Only possibility is damage to the bumper shocks (does the E9x even have them?).
Appreciate 0