E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328xi noise and tires help needed

11-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
kvkv
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007

2007 328xi noise and tires help needed

I was introduced here. Thanks in advance for any possible help from you.

My car is 2007 328xi. Here are the problems.

1) When the speed is on steady 35~38 miles/hour on local highway (not bumpy road), I always hear some rattling/grinding noise from the front part of the car. Hard to locate it 'coz it seems coming from somewhere remotely inside the front dashboard. Any speed beyond that range, the noise disappears.

First I thought it was because of the tires. So I went to do the alignment 'coz the car's alignment was really bad as the threads on both edges of each of the front tires were almost flat (The threads in the middle of each tire look better). After doing so, to my surprise, the noise persists.

For your information, the tires are from Bridgestone, run-flat. Now the mileage is 26,000 miles on them. (One of them was replaced in Sep. last year)

I know this kind of info is too little to make a diagnosis on the car. But please give me some idea, any guess is welcome, even wild guess, so I can talk to the dealer.

2) I checked the web for some info. Some people say the run-flat tires are not good, also expensive. So my question is: can I replace the four run-flat tires with regular/standard tires? like Michelin? Is that doable? Any thoughts? pros or cons?

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

The tires are worn on the edges, but not in the middle? That's probably your noise right there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
kvkv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
The tires are worn on the edges, but not in the middle? That's probably your noise right there.
The tires' edges have been totally worn out while threads/treads in the middle remain fine. I suspected it is the reason of the noise. But why it is still there after alignment at NTB.

By the way, the noise seems coming out of somewhere deep in the dashboard close to the hood every time when the speed around 35~38 miles/h. It sounds like something loose or having a consistent small/tiny vibration, very annoying.

I feel like being fed up with Run Flat tires. Could I use regular/standard tires such as Michelin to replace them? Any thoughts? Cons or Pros?

Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvkv View Post
I feel like being fed up with Run Flat tires. Could I use regular/standard tires such as Michelin to replace them? Any thoughts? Cons or Pros?
You could replace the RFTs with standard tires but to be safe I would recommend getting a spare as well. If you go for standard tires and get a flat, without a spare you're stuck.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
kvkv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive View Post
You could replace the RFTs with standard tires but to be safe I would recommend getting a spare as well. If you go for standard tires and get a flat, without a spare you're stuck.
Other than concerning about getting stuck on the road when having flat tires, is there any safety issues about this kind of replacement? Is RFT safer than standard tires?

I heard some say it would be more confortable and safer when having good standard tires on this sort of car when the weather is rainy or snowing. Is this true?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The tires' edges have been totally worn out while threads/treads in the middle remain fine. I suspected it is the reason of the noise. But why it is still there after alignment at NTB.
Because you still have the worn out tires on there. Replace the tires and the noise should go away. I see those tires make noise on a daily basis from the wear pattern you describe. And make sure you keep up with the tire pressure checks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
kvkv
Rep

Quote:
Because you still have the worn out tires on there. Replace the tires and the noise should go away. I see those tires make noise on a daily basis from the wear pattern you describe. And make sure you keep up with the tire pressure checks.
Thanks!

By the way, any thoughts on replacing those RFT with standard tires? I saw some posts on web saying that it would be safer and more traction on wet/ snowing road with good standard tires despite a spare one in the trunk. I have to make a decision next week either go with RFT or standard tires. Cost is one of the concerns: 4 RFT would be like between $1300~$1600, while 4 good standard tires would be less than $700. But if RFT is a must then I will buy 4 RFTs.

I hope to have some ideas from you guys first.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep

I would personally go with non-rft. They will ride better, and will handle better.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
kvkv
Rep

Quote:
I would personally go with non-rft. They will ride better, and will handle better.
Thank you. You are really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
jewishcubbiesfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue E90

I don't know how much snow they get in your part of IL but I would go with standard tires. When we first got our 328i, we had it in the dealer after about 2 months, because first thing in the morning driving the car for a couple of miles, the front end would shake like you were going over continious bumps. We took it to the dealer, and he said because the RFT's use such "a soft rubber compound" that they get cupped easily until the tires "warm up" after driving a couple of miles. Since then, I have not liked run flat tires. I believed our SA because this is first car with RFT's and we had never had this issue before with "regular tires".

Needless to say, if you don't get much snow, go with some regular tires. They will handle better, and will be a much smoother ride. Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Just go with good non-rft, and buy yourself a tire repair kit from BMW.
      11-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
kvkv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishcubbiesfan View Post
I don't know how much snow they get in your part of IL but I would go with standard tires. When we first got our 328i, we had it in the dealer after about 2 months, because first thing in the morning driving the car for a couple of miles, the front end would shake like you were going over continious bumps. We took it to the dealer, and he said because the RFT's use such "a soft rubber compound" that they get cupped easily until the tires "warm up" after driving a couple of miles. Since then, I have not liked run flat tires. I believed our SA because this is first car with RFT's and we had never had this issue before with "regular tires".

Needless to say, if you don't get much snow, go with some regular tires. They will handle better, and will be a much smoother ride. Good luck man
I got here on the very early of this year, honestly, shocked by the heavy snow and cold weather: minus/-12 F with 10+ inches snow on some day in Jan, of course most of the highways had been cleared right after or during if snowing, but some of the local roads were covered by snow and salt mix.

So I can't put much hope on warm weather here in the winter. Safety is really one of the major concerns.

The noise and tire issue really leave me in a bind, especially in such a cold winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Well it's not definitive that the RFT are making that rattle noise you are describing. But, it most likely is considering the condition of your RFT.

Definitley get yourself some good all-season high performance regular tires. They make a world of difference, even though I still have RFT on my BMW. (I drove a dealer loaner with Continental Conti Pro-Contact tires and the ride was amazing, same for the handling too) I will be making the switch very soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
kvkv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
Well it's not definitive that the RFT are making that rattle noise you are describing. But, it most likely is considering the condition of your RFT.

Definitley get yourself some good all-season high performance regular tires. They make a world of difference, even though I still have RFT on my BMW. (I drove a dealer loaner with Continental Conti Pro-Contact tires and the ride was amazing, same for the handling too) I will be making the switch very soon.
Thanks!

I will be seriously considering the switch this week after talking to the dealer. How do you think of Michelin Primacy MXV4? I called NTB today and was told that's what they have the best right now. Is it good? Or do you have any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Deveray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i X-Drive Touring

I have similar symptoms with my original Bridgestone runflats - I didn't realize how loud the tire noise was until I switched to my winter tires [Bridgestone Blizzaks] this week, the quiet is surreal. My original RFTs aren't worn out yet either, so it seems they just get very noisy. I was sure it was a wheel bearing [it gets louder when you steer] but noticed the silence last year when I first got the snow tires.
A point to note is that if you lease your car it should have RFTs on it when you give it back or you might get charged. I am intending to switch brands though - mine will wear out before my lease end - because the noise is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
First I thought it was because of the tires. So I went to do the alignment 'coz the car's alignment was really bad as the threads on both edges of each of the front tires were almost flat (The threads in the middle of each tire look better). After doing so, to my surprise, the noise persists.
the continental contipro contact SSR runflats are much better from what i heard.

if you have the non sport package tires, a set will run you 556 plus shipping from tire rack. a set of sport package sized tires is 684. DO NOT BUY THEM FROM THE DEALER.

BUT

wearing out the shoulders on both side of the tread is indicative of underinflation. the car is basically resting on the shoulders and not the full tread. what PSI have you been running?
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0