E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about Auto Insurance for someone with Canadian and US License

11-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Question about Auto Insurance for someone with Canadian and US License

i have been calling around some the major insurance companies lately, which includes Geico, All State, Progressive. the problem is that they either don't recognize my Canadian license at all (which is almost 2 years old) or recognize it but doesn't effect my insurance rate at all. seriously, what is the damn difference anyway.

so anyway, the quote they gave me so far is extremely high (like close to $3000 just for 6 months), since i just got my Illinois license last month. They are pretty much treating me like a new driver, even though I have driven extensively since I was 17 (in Canada and Asia) and have completely clean record.

I know being only 19 year old and owning a $50k car is going to raise my rate for sure. but the fact that they don't recognize my Canadian license and driving record in Canada is ridiculous.

So i am wondering if any of you guys had similar situation that I am having right now? Can you some hint or information of how to deal with the insurance company here to get the lowest rate possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
jay4usc
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i, ZPP, ZSP, 19', Slvr/Blck

Did any of them request proof of prior insurance in Canada or Asia? Call and ask them if that would lower your rate. If not email me and I can direct you to our personal lines department. I'm in Ca but we are licensed in 50 states. Wished I can be help but I only sell commercial lines. We might have a carrier our personal lines use for my clients outside CA (travelers) that may provide lower rates then any of those you have described. Also, you truly don't receive a huge discount on your rates after 2 years experience. I believe you have to wait till after 22yld or around that age range. I'm in my 30s and paying 400 every 6 months 300,000 limits and 500 deductible. What are the limits did they quote you for 3000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCloud9 View Post
i have been calling around some the major insurance companies lately, which includes Geico, All State, Progressive. the problem is that they either don't recognize my Canadian license at all (which is almost 2 years old) or recognize it but doesn't effect my insurance rate at all. seriously, what is the damn difference anyway.

so anyway, the quote they gave me so far is extremely high (like close to $3000 just for 6 months), since i just got my Illinois license last month. They are pretty much treating me like a new driver, even though I have driven extensively since I was 17 (in Canada and Asia) and have completely clean record.

I know being only 19 year old and owning a $50k car is going to raise my rate for sure. but the fact that they don't recognize my Canadian license and driving record in Canada is ridiculous.

So i am wondering if any of you guys had similar situation that I am having right now? Can you some hint or information of how to deal with the insurance company here to get the lowest rate possible?

Last edited by jay4usc; 11-20-2008 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Computer freezing up and deleted some info
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

In before the "parents can pay for you" comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

What's your plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCloud9 View Post
...the quote they gave me so far is extremely high (like close to $3000 just for 6 months)...

...I know being only 19 year old and owning a $50k car is going to raise my rate...
Out of curiosity, did you begin the insurance search pre or post placing your order, and to the point, is this the first car where you are listed as the owner (or co-signer)?

I'm not sure what your expectations were in regard to insurance, but I hope you budgeted more than $300 per month.

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

When I moved from Toronto to Massachusetts, I got a copy of my driving record from Canada and took that into the DMV here and they added all that info to my record to show how long I had been licensed, driver training etc. I also used that to send to the insurance company to prove my record, but it used to be a little different in MA, if your dealing with big companies like Geico, they just pull your record from the DMV info, so you have to get your record from Canada added to the DMV in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
jewishcubbiesfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue E90

Shop around, if you have life insurance or if you live with your parents try to get a quote from that same company. Most companies will give you a discount for having multiple policies with them. There is also a student discount if you have good grades, usually 5-15%. Good Luck man, we pay 63 dollars a month for full coverage with 500 dollar deductible on a 2007 328i sedan with State Farm. We also have our home insured through them, along with some jewelry and a few other things. They have been great thus far.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Out of curiosity, did you begin the insurance search pre or post placing your order, and to the point, is this the first car where you are listed as the owner (or co-signer)?

I'm not sure what your expectations were in regard to insurance, but I hope you budgeted more than $300 per month.
i was expecting a little more than $2000 for 6 months with full coverage. but right now the quote i have received are more than $2500 and that is the "good student discount". i understand my situation will cost me a fair amount, but i just don't like throwing money away if there is room for me to further lower the rate.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishcubbiesfan View Post
Shop around, if you have life insurance or if you live with your parents try to get a quote from that same company. Most companies will give you a discount for having multiple policies with them. There is also a student discount if you have good grades, usually 5-15%. Good Luck man, we pay 63 dollars a month for full coverage with 500 dollar deductible on a 2007 328i sedan with State Farm. We also have our home insured through them, along with some jewelry and a few other things. They have been great thus far.
thanks, but the problem is that I am Canadian studying in Illinois, and don't really have anyone else who i can register the car under.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0